Send Topic Print
Wind (Read 6804 times)
kellach77
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Chino Hills, California
Wind
Jul 16th, 2012 at 11:33pm

Today I went to the top of my hill to sling my sand projectiles, and I ran into a problem.  The wind.

The wind was blowing at least 30 mph, and it was throwing my slinging off.  My projectiles are almost perfectly round, yet the wind would curve them way off to the side. I had to give up, because I couldn't even tell where my shots were landing (I was testing out distance slinging).

So this got me thinking, did the ancients ever have problems with wind?  During a battle, strong winds could mess up any projectile weapon, right?  I know dense projectiles have less air resistance, but they can only cut through so much.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Re: Wind
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 4:32am

I bet every bullet has to deal with wind - unless, perhaps, big trebuchet stones  Cheesy
What were your bullets made of?
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 5:10am

Wind can be a big problem no matter what you are shooting. You just have to adjust your shots and figure how much the wind is going to effect the direction of your shot to the right or left.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 5:31am

Stones and lead wouldn't be too much affected,sure not to the degree to be unusable.And yes every projectile weapon is affected by wind,the faster,and the bigger distance ,the more.
Round projectiles spinning fast plus the wind could make the magnus effect stronger,hence the curve.It's just my guess though.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 11:34am

I've never slung lead but I know that wind can throw stones off course.  A strong wind makes hitting a small target at a good distance almost impossible even if you use a large stone.  Aiming is a guessing game in this case.

IP Logged

kellach77
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Chino Hills, California
Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 11:42am

I was using sand, since that is readily available to me in my area. 

The problem with trying to adjust my aim was that the wind kept switching.  I would move it off to the right to make it go straighter, but then it would go even more to the right, and vice versa.  I guess it could be the spin of the projectile as it flies.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 1:48pm

Compared to arrows, wind effect on a slingstones is minimal. You won't be hitting small targets at long distances, but then again most slingers can't do that anyway even on a calm day. I would think with really good rocks or lead glands that would have been used in battle, there would be little effect. Plus if you were slinging the exact same ammuntion for a couple minutes staight, you could probably work it in if you had to.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

kellach77
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Chino Hills, California
Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 3:57pm

I guess if you were aiming at a big mass of people with lead glans, it'd be kind of hard to not hit something.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 8:26am

kellach77 wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 3:57pm:
I guess if you were aiming at a big mass of people with lead glans, it'd be kind of hard to not hit something.

Exactly. Plus those guys were really 'Professionals' and were far above most slingers today so they could still probably be a pretty effective force in inclimate weather.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 8:56am

Probably a lot more effective than archers.  A strong wind will move an arrow quite a bit at 25 meters, plus, the arrow hits at an angle which limits penetration.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #10 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 1:42pm

Any thing ballistic requires a windage aim-point offset before being launched. If the ammo is ballistic it is effected by the wind.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #11 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 6:48pm

My range drops from 100 yards optimum to around 20-30 yards with light stones. It makes each shot just about as strong as my normal hand throwing range is. But I think with lead this problem will be much less.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #12 - Dec 28th, 2012 at 7:32pm

I must say, that clay biconical projectiles are affected less by wind than light stone.
and the wind has little effect on my actual range, but it chops my accurate range from around 10 meters(guessing Wink
to about 0(not guessing) Grin

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #13 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 11:39am

The real killer is not wind, but rain-- which puts archers and slingers out of action. See battle of Magnesia (190 BC).

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 12:21pm

Hmm, rain is bad for archers as the natural gut of their bowstring tends to stretch in the wet.

I don't see how it would drastically effect slingers though.
Slings are still 100% functional in the rain.

Quote:
See battle of Magnesia (190 BC).

got a link ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Chris)