ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 303269 times)
Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #930 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 10:58am

@walter; oh it was aurelio, excuse me. Now to find the second video.
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2017 at 5:23pm by Funditor406 »  

IP Logged

rcoon8865
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

fl
Reply #931 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 12:47pm

Any one have details about a sling that can make a bull whip
cracking sound.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #932 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 9:01am

I find the best crackers I've made have these properties (in this order):

1. A thin and flexible end of sling
2. A 'brush' of loose fibres at the end
3. A thicker middle which tapers down
4. Relatively short
5. Split pouch for easier movement through air

The best cracking sling I've made was a 25'' nylon braided split pouch- it had all of the above characteristics. Even with relatively little effort or an empty sling it can be surprisingly loud.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #933 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 9:18am

There was a video on this site at one time of a member named Matthais who made a sling from lead cored wire or cordage of some type. It was pretty normal except for the increased mass. It would crack like you wouldn't believe. Maybe someone can find it? I have no idea how.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #934 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 10:45am

I remember that, though that was a bit ago, so it’s probably buried under tons of other posts by now.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #935 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 5:54pm

Morphy wrote on Dec 19th, 2017 at 9:18am:
There was a video on this site at one time of a member named Matthais who made a sling from lead cored wire or cordage of some type. It was pretty normal except for the increased mass. It would crack like you wouldn't believe. Maybe someone can find it? I have no idea how.

It was a lead wire core. To say it had a loud crack is a bit misleading. It actually sounded like rolling thunder  Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Euclid
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Which knots should I know about?
Reply #936 - Jun 22nd, 2018 at 11:07am

I managed to reach my current age without knowing anything about knots beyond what's required for footwear, so I'm quite proud of that.

However, I have now reached a point where knowledge about knots has become critical. So to get straight to the point:

What knots are used to attach a cord, rope, twine, or string to a pouch, and how do you make them? Names would be useful. (I've learned the "bowline" lately, but what other ones are useful for slings?)

Thanks!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #937 - Jun 22nd, 2018 at 2:14pm

Euclid wrote on Jun 22nd, 2018 at 11:07am:
What knots are used to attach a cord, rope, twine, or string to a pouch, and how do you make them?

The very first sling I made (and I still use it to this day with no problems) was made from two lengths of paracord and a slighshot pouch, one of the big ones that Barnett slingshots use. I used slipknots to attach to the pouch, another slipknot for the retention cord to go around my middle finger and then just an over-hand knot for the release cord to hold onto. It's about as simple as a sling can get and has served me well.

19_001.jpg (80 KB | 40 )
19_001.jpg

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #938 - Jun 22nd, 2018 at 3:45pm

@ Euclid... a lot of it is personal preference, but general principles are to look for knots that are reliably secure and use minimal cordage to perform the intended function  (unless you’re being intentionally decorative).  After that, you can also look at how easy it is to untie, which may or may not matter to you.  But if you really want to learn knots, look at asemery’s posts

If you only ever learn one knot, you correctly chose the bowline. It’s secure, easy to untie, and uses the least amount of cord relative to other ways to tie a similar loop.

I prefer barrel knots instead of overhand knots for my release cord knots, because they don’t slip or change position as easily on slippery cords

If you want a good knot reference on your phone, download the knots3D app.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Euclid
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #939 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 9:34am

Thanks guys, I'll try a few variations.

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #940 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 4:48pm

Morphy wrote on Dec 19th, 2017 at 9:18am:
Maybe someone can find it? I have no idea how.

Easy, I have it in my favorites : http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1123105011
I only have to find this lead core to send one to C_A that has been waiting since 2005 that someone make him one...

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

cpman
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Austin, TX
Reply #941 - Jul 28th, 2018 at 6:48pm

Ive got a question about picking up a new style.

I’ve really honed my fig-8 (especially for distance) — pretty much every shot is in nearly the same plane and it’s mostly vertical accuracy problems.

Today, I was playing around and was experimenting with a simple sidearm — start from a resting position, pull the loaded sling up and forwards, go around your head, then release sidearm. I was surprised at how accurate I was, even though 90%+ of my practice has been fig-8. Of the ~25 shots or so, every single one went forward in more or less the intended direction. It seems like it’d only take a week or so of daily practice to get half decent at it.

It’s as if my fig-8 skills have somewhat translated to the new style. Do any of y’all notice this? Is it just because I’m much more familiar with slinging than I used to be?

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #942 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 1:00am

The more you sling the more you discover.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #943 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 7:31am

You’re def getting better at throwing overall.
I use different slinging styles for different results. I can throw harder and further with a low sidearm but accuracy is almost unbeatable with figure 8 in my experience

IP Logged

Danielbeev
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

West virginia
Reply #944 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 6:50pm

I was wondering if there is a specific place where sling making and other tutorials are posted?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)