Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 ... 93
Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 303228 times)
Vlad
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #915 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 7:11am

Well i remember there was something about the Balearic islands children learning slinging by shooting their lunch down a tree or something and something about Celsus's book where he described how to cure sling injuries and how to remove sling projectiles. Not sure if it was the same article.

IP Logged

RC
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Poland
Reply #916 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 9:33am

I'm curious what thickness of leather (in millimeters) you guys use for:

a) covering for split pouches (balearics)
b) paracord + leather types of slings?

I'm about to buy a few pound bag of cowhide scraps and I'd appreciate pointing in the right direction.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #917 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 10:12am

I dont know the official type I use. I just know what it feels like. When Im low on leather somtimes Ill go by garage sales and buy up any of those old jansport backpacks with leather on the bottom. A couple will last a long time depending on how many slings you make. Its the perfect weight, strength and flexibility for my needs.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #918 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 12:22pm

I use elk and mostly moose hide. the old hides I used were about 2mm. The new stuff is about 6oz weight, about 2.5mm thick. Which is nice an heavy duty.  For my baleric slings. The leather is thin. About 1.2mm up to 1.5mm.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #919 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 10:27pm

I just use bags of scrap leather I get at my local hobby store. (Hobby lobby). Though if you want maximum durability, I would recommend kangaroo leather, ive never used it but it's supposed to be really tough, they use it for slots of things requiring something thin, light, and tough, like motorcycle gear.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

higg13
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Florida, USA
Reply #920 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 3:07pm

This might have been asked before, but what's the difference between the byzantine and sidearm throw?

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."- Aristotle

IP Logged

higg13
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Florida, USA
Reply #921 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 3:09pm

Is it that with the sidearm the wind up stays beside your body but with the byzantine the wind up is above you?

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."- Aristotle

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #922 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 7:33pm

Byzantine is specifically a single rotation throw. I don't think it matters if you throw it sidearm or overhand.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #923 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 6:15pm

There used to be a section with distances and people's names is this still around.

What's the offical world record distance with a sling ??

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #924 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 4:41am

With regards to styles there are videos on youtube. This one is pretty good- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6kdRs4x1fs&t=262s

There is no 'sidearm' in the video above, as far as I know, standard sidearm is basically equivalent to balearic style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojtZakKT5FE

I'm not sure of the actual official WR, it's basically about 500m though.

The list of throwing records from forum users can be found here: digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1032&context=anthrotheses On page 53.

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #925 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 4:48pm

I'm wanting to make my first true Balearic STYLE sling from Jute. How does the splicing process work? From what I understand it's taking a bundle of fibers and shoving it into long frayed end, and twisting the cord and then feed your new string back into the braid or twist as if nothing happened. What force keeps those two cords together? Also, is it possible to add fibers to the middle of the cord.

EDIT: Oh and I'll probably need some clear instruction on dyeing slings.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #926 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 5:24pm

I can help with the dying  cords. U can use food dye, but my experience wasn't too good. I use 'Rit' brand dye. U can pick it up at Walmart In the laundry detergent aisle. Instructions are easy, just add the dye to hot almost boiling water. Abd put tge cordage in there and let it soak in for a bit.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #927 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 6:18pm

Montanna slinger,there are a couple vids on braiding balearic slings somewhere on this site. One is made from sisal string. The braider shows how to reduce the string back to fiber ands makes a sling from that.  Donnerschlag made an excellent tutorial using bakers twine.
I just finished another hemp cord balearic posted in market place. I spiced in 10 cords just above the split. Learned to do that from the vids I mentioned above.
Maybe someone has pics of the process that they would like to share, or I will take some when I make my next sling.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #928 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 10:57pm

@walter, is one of the videos you mention Paleoarts? If so, I agree that it was indeed a great tutorial, I made a sling from sisal using the info, I don't trust my own work though with that, so I just keep that one as an ornament. I kinda wonder since I'm using Jute with this new one planned, I figure I wouldn't need to soak it. I also saw Donnerschlag's and that is very useful, I learned a knot for tying a release end, it was also very clear in instruction

All I'm really concerned about is just being able to properly splice is all. Which of course with your help you've given I will learn to do it. @vetryan15, That cord dying technique will be very useful. Gotta save time by buying generic cord to then dye rather than buy pre-dyed cord!

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #929 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 8:56am

no, not paleo. Both vids were made by spanish guys.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man)