Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 303221 times)
Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Re: 8-strand round braid?
Reply #45 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 6:56am

If you end with the finger loop:
Have a look at this: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Make-a-Four-Strand-Braided-Leash-From-Par...  (technique used: Splicing)

Otherwise you could also do an eye splice: http://www.animatedknots.com/splice/index.php

If you start with the finger loop:
You could just double it up, like around the finger 4 strand and afterwards 4 strand with two strings each. (see http://slinging.org/index.php?page=a-simple-braided-sling-in-20-steps---jeff-hol...)

You can also do an 8 strand round braid. For 8 strand round braid see: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-4-or-8-Part-Round-Braid.

Corrigendum: The eye splice is not suited for this, as you have to have a twisted rope and not a braided rope.

IP Logged

mitchrobinson

"Speak softly and carry
a big stick"

Sweet Home, Oregon, USA
Re: 8-strand round braid?
Reply #46 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 8:06am

Thank you so much Teg!  Most informative indeed! Smiley

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Now Taking Questions
Reply #47 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 9:17am

You can also try 8 strand kumihimo braiding. In general if you do the same steps as a smaller braid with more strands it will scale up, so and 8 strand braid will work just like a 4 strand one.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

throwing styles for different body types?
Reply #48 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 11:26am

Hey, just curious, are some slinging styles more suited to differently built people? for example, would a shorter person be better off using a different style than a taller person?

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: throwing styles for different body types?
Reply #49 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 12:36pm

Hi, timu;
   Welcome to slinging.org.  Though we all have different favorite styles and all body types are represented here, IMO no style favors a particular body type.  None I can think of off the top of my head anyway.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #50 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 1:36pm

Yeah, throwing styles aren't correlated with body type. My best explanation is that a sling length is based on your own height already, so everything should work out.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #51 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 2:48pm

yep pretty much just down to sling length.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #52 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 11:14pm

Right on, on a side note, what is a masiakasaurus?

IP Logged

mitchrobinson

"Speak softly and carry
a big stick"

Sweet Home, Oregon, USA
Reply #53 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 12:36am

I have a few questions about rivets and riveting.  So I have a few "Pop" Rivetools (open ended rivet with a mandrel running through), I read that open end rivets can be used for soft materials (leather) as well as what all I have used them on.  I have repeatedly attempted to punch out the mandrel after snapping the shaft to no avail.  Can someone please tell me if there is a way to consistently remove the mandrel head from the rivet to facilitate hammering the flared end flat?  I am simply attempting to make the rivet altogether lighter by removing the steel mandrel head.  I saw the riveted Captain Paul slings and was inspired but have hit a major snag.  Am I using the wrong type of rivet?

Also, what tool would I want to get to facilitate stringing paracord through?  I saw a few slings on this site doing it.  I thought an open end rivet would work but hit two snags; the mandrel head, and when I could punch out the head, hammering the end flat does not leave a clean hole as the end is usually partially deformed from the variations in the head of the mandrel.

Thank you so much for your time!  I know it's a LOT to ask!

-Mitch

IP Logged

mitchrobinson

"Speak softly and carry
a big stick"

Sweet Home, Oregon, USA
Reply #54 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 12:57am

Masiakasaurus is a predatory dinosaur native to Madagascar during the Cretaceous period.  Thanks Wikipedia!   Grin

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #55 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 5:29am

if you're looking to cut weight, try using eyelets instead. Although I don't think it'll affect the weight either way. eyelets are cool cause you can feed string etc. through them!

IP Logged

Rofriedrich

Psalm 140:7

Texas
Reply #56 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 3:35pm

Howdy all. Was wondering what a"toggle" is and its function

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #57 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 7:04pm

It goes on the end of a retention cord and is used to supplant what would normally be a retention ring. You hold the toggle which could be a pice of bone, antler, or wood and the retention cord goes inbetween your ring and middle finger. Generally they give the sling a more secure feel.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #58 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 12:42am

When I use eyelets/rivets I don't use a rivetool. I buy the rivet kits from the craft store. As for a tool to help with stringing your paracord through the rivet, can you explain? I don't exactly know why you'd need something. It could be due to our using different rivets, but i won't know without a little more info.

Yep, a toggle is a solid handle used to hold the sling instead of the normal finger loop. You hold it like a push knife, but with a sling cord instead of a blade.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Rofriedrich

Psalm 140:7

Texas
3/16 nylon rope
Reply #59 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 4:19pm

Found some cheap. Is this good cordage material? It had cool designs

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy)