Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 303301 times)
hassan
Descens

On the path of the Benjamites

Texas, USA
Re: Materials
Reply #435 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 12:45pm

Oops. Sorry bout the thing that got editedd.

Squirrel, you made my week. You are super-awesome and helpful. I'm just not great at sifting through forums for info.

Thanks!

I really need to buy more paracord.&&And practice more.&&And braid more . . . &&

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #436 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 1:57pm

I just want to point out that TIAT is not Asemery

Hassan, if you manage to master the search tool, it will make a good part of your Internet existence easier Wink

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #437 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 5:17pm

Caldou wrote on Apr 12th, 2013 at 1:57pm:
I just want to point out that TIAT is not Asemery

News to me. Who is TIAT then?

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #438 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 7:05pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Apr 12th, 2013 at 10:28am:
Or you could have pointed out that all the stickies up top answer all his questions.  Some people don't read them, they think that they are all some type of advertising or are just admin notes.

I could, but I wanted to also add something on MATERIALS, which he originally asked about. The stickies do not deal with materials, just about everything else.

I thought it would be nicer to do this.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #439 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 7:06pm

hassan wrote on Apr 11th, 2013 at 12:24pm:
I want to know anything and everything slings can be made of, and how you make them. Its a ig task, but I wanna know so I can make a sling wherever, whenever.

Also post what projeciles can be.

Ex Post:
You can make slings out of x.

You make them out of x like this:
Step 1
Step 2
Step 3

etc.

My favorite (theoretical) projectile:
Edited:
We do not allow posts with directions for explosives. Masi

LOL, hand gernades... sorry Masi, but that is not exactly a recipe....

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #440 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 7:46pm

hassan wrote on Apr 11th, 2013 at 12:24pm:
I want to know anything and everything slings can be made of, and how you make them. Its a ig task, but I wanna know so I can make a sling wherever, whenever.

Also post what projeciles can be.

Ex Post:
You can make slings out of x.

You make them out of x like this:
Step 1
Step 2
Step 3

etc.

My favorite (theoretical) projectile:
Edited:
We do not allow posts with directions for explosives. Masi

This is a very lofty goal.  I think that could work at it  your entire life and still not complete your project.  IMO the best design for making a sling where ever out of whatever is the Appu-sling, or Simple String Slinng.  Here's Malik Lund's tutorial:  http://slinging.org/index.php?page=making-a-simple-string-sling-an-illustrated-g... Using this method I've made slings out of plastic bags, police tape, wire pulled from the back of a trash TV, old clothes line, etc., etc., etc..  If it's string-like in any way you can probably make an Appu-sling from it.  Knowing how to make this sling is a handy skill to have.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #441 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 12:04am

Squirrel, great job!  (But you could've just said something like: click here for a link to the tutorial FAQ thread which has all sorts of great tutorials.)

But like a couple of others have said already, you can mak one out of just about anything with enough imagination time and patience (and maybe skill too).  I made one from extension cord once..  People have made them from trash bags, tall weeds, duct tape, etc.

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #442 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 4:55pm

LightSlinger wrote on Apr 13th, 2013 at 12:04am:
Squirrel, great job!  (But you could've just said something like: click here for a link to the tutorial FAQ thread which has all sorts of great tutorials.)

But like a couple of others have said already, you can mak one out of just about anything with enough imagination time and patience (and maybe skill too).  I made one from extension cord once..  People have made them from trash bags, tall weeds, duct tape, etc.

Agian, he asked for a summery of MATERIAL, not just some tutorials.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #443 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 7:56pm

squirrelslinger wrote on Apr 13th, 2013 at 4:55pm:
LightSlinger wrote on Apr 13th, 2013 at 12:04am:
Squirrel, great job!  (But you could've just said something like: click here for a link to the tutorial FAQ thread which has all sorts of great tutorials.)

But like a couple of others have said already, you can mak one out of just about anything with enough imagination time and patience (and maybe skill too).  I made one from extension cord once..  People have made them from trash bags, tall weeds, duct tape, etc.

Agian, he asked for a summery of MATERIAL, not just some tutorials.

And yet you listed every tutorial... Lol.  Point is, for the reading clarity and usability of the most people, sometimes less is more...  Most of the other posters got the same Ideas across in under three paragraphs.  Sometimes long is necessary, but sometimes not.  Regardless, the originator of the thread seemed to appreciate it.

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #444 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 8:26am

Don't take it to heart SS. I'm one of those that would have appreciated the reply you posted If I were the OP. Everyone is different though, and I can see the points made by those that like to keep it simple.

Mick

IP Logged

x0rt
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Novi Sad
Reply #445 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 9:32am

Hi people! I need a little advice on hand movement during a helicopter swing. I made a sling by this tutorial http://slinging.org/index.php?page=making-a-braided-sling-an-illustrated-guide, and since i only had nylon rope bout 1.7 mm thick i used that. I followed exact measurements and found that i can barely swing it, it felt too short? Either i completely got it wrong or something is, but i can barely toss a stone with that. I made second one, again from cheap plastic rope, slightly thinner about 1.5 mm, but im finding that stone likes to slip out of "pouch" Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #446 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 12:33pm

Hi and welcome, xOrt.  Is there any way that you can post a picture of your slings?  That would be very helpful.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #447 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 3:55pm

Hello xOrt and welcome to the forum!

Since everyone is different heights its hard to say exactly how long any cord should be when measuring it out for braiding.  My first sling ever was way too short as well!  But here's a good method that I use to make sure I have enough length for most simple braiding styles;  a good rule of thumb is about three times your own body length.  You can measure this out roughly by starting with a length that is fingertip to fingertip.  Grasp the end closest to the roll of cord, and draw out another length of cord, fingertip to fingertip.  Repeat this method one more time and you should now have a length that is about three times your body length.  Repeat the procedure for each strand that you need.  This should leave you with a sling that is about 2-4 inches off the ground when you hand is resting at your side.
   Now, for the pouch.  I don't know how long you've been slinging for but beginners often have trouble with split pouches (at least I did).  There are a number of factors that play into using a split pouch but here are some basics that may help. First, a pouch should be long enough to encircle your projectile widthwise about halfway.  Also, make sure that the bands of the pouch are at about 45 degrees relative to each other.  Now about throwing technique.  Start light. Using power with a split pouch requires that you be familiar with its use first.  You'd be surprised at how much you can learn by throwing gently and gradually working up to strn throws..
   Hope that helps ya!

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #448 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 5:39pm

x0rt wrote on Apr 14th, 2013 at 9:32am:
Hi people! I need a little advice on hand movement during a helicopter swing. I made a sling by this tutorial http://slinging.org/index.php?page=making-a-braided-sling-an-illustrated-guide, and since i only had nylon rope bout 1.7 mm thick i used that. I followed exact measurements and found that i can barely swing it, it felt too short? Either i completely got it wrong or something is, but i can barely toss a stone with that. I made second one, again from cheap plastic rope, slightly thinner about 1.5 mm, but im finding that stone likes to slip out of "pouch" Smiley

Rope is too thick to make a sling out of, though if what you used was 1.5-1.7 mm in diameter then it was twine. Rope is bigger than 4.7 mm in diameter. Did you see the Advice for Beginners thread? It tells you how long most slings are. If you are dropping your projectiles early I doubt it's because the sling is too short. It could be that the material the sling is made from just happens to be too slippery, that the pouch of the sling does not hold the projectile securely, or your technique could be to blame. A split pouch must be equal in length on both sides to make sure the projectile will balance. It must also be long enough to securely hold your intended projectile but too short to allow the projectile to fall through the split. The advice thread also covers how poor technique can cause an early release.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

x0rt
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Novi Sad
Reply #449 - Apr 15th, 2013 at 11:19am

Thanks people, sorry for my bad english, twine was a word i could not remember so i wrote rope. Somebody asked for pictures, ill post imgur link to them. This is my first time  with a sling, and i have trouble , what i think, applying equal force through whole circle, to spin the rock ( projectile ) around my head for a helicopter throw.

First one is made from 280 cm twine, i followed instructions step by step. Second one i did i just prolonged it to 490 cm, with a pouch of 2 strands measuring 10 cm.

Best thing is i need to figure wrist motions  Cool

http://imgur.com/a/zQbPd

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy, Kick)