Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 93
Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 303267 times)
scoteeball

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Questions about technique.
Reply #30 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 12:09am

Left/right direction with a horizontal technique like helicopter is controlled by the timing of the release of the retention cord. If you are throwing to the left as a right handed thrower your release is too late. Try releasing just a bit earlier and you should be able to move it to the right. To get the feeling, exaggerate the early release until you are throwing too far to the right and then make the correction.

"Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Re: Questions about technique.
Reply #31 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 11:18am

There's also an other technic to be more accurate with "helicopter style": Try to point with our throwing hand (the right for you) towards your target. Don't "slice" your hand towards your hip but "push" it towards your target.
Therefore you have much more time to release the sling and timing becomes less important.
The power in "helicopter style" (from my opinion) does not come from the rotation of the sling but from the movement of the hand from behind the head towards the target (this means from the movement of hip and shoulders).

My shots go also off to left if I try to "force" my throws. In this case I take a step back and try to shoot light and relaxed.

Style diclaimer: This is how I shoot. You may use an other style which works better for you, as there are as many styles as slingers  Wink

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Now Taking Questions
Reply #32 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 12:46pm

If you sling the same ammo with the same sling both helicopter style and underhand then I'm guessing your problem with underhand slinging is from inconsistent slinging speed. Dropping stones like that usually happens when you start off swinging very slow and suddenly whip the sling very fast instead of smoothly accelerating. If you follow Bill's advice you should be able to fix both problems.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

HunterGatherer

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #33 - Aug 12th, 2012 at 11:45pm

Thanks everyone for your advice. When it stops raining, I'll have another try.

Thanks again! Grin

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #34 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 2:30am

When I shoot to the left it is usually because I am not popping my release open. If I just slack off a bit and let it pull through then the release is too slow. I fix this by making sure that after the release my thumb and forefinger are wide apart in the follow through.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #35 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 10:14am

d010060002 wrote on Aug 8th, 2012 at 10:20am:
Thanks for the reply

xxkid123 wrote on Aug 6th, 2012 at 3:50pm:
Hold your horses, where'd you get a loop of two strands?

I got the two strand loop from the leftover cord of the westcountry whipping.
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1338672380/0#0

If you scroll down to 12 you should see that it looks like he's weaving with a loop rather than a strand. I can make the sling the other way pretty easily, but ratman posted that he found that this was a better way to make it.

It is an easier way to make it but you have to read ALL of the instructions.  Go back up to #6 and you see that we've doubled the weft, or weaving cord.  The loop you're referring to is simply a doubled piece of line.  Doubling the line is optional, as it says, but you'll find it can be very helpful if you need to add more cord to the weft.  # 13, 14, and 15 show you how to add more cord to your weft.

IP Logged

Rofriedrich

Psalm 140:7

Texas
Maybe a dumb question.
Reply #36 - Aug 29th, 2012 at 8:47pm

Was wondering if certain designs compliment certain styles. Like does a braided split do better in overhand or something. Or should any style perform equally well with whatever release technique?

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Re: Maybe a dumb question.
Reply #37 - Aug 29th, 2012 at 9:09pm

That's really a good question. As far as I know, there has been no study done to investigate this. Huh

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #38 - Aug 29th, 2012 at 9:13pm

Thin splits work better with quicker releases, same for slings that have very heavy or large pouches, and very soft cords. Thin splits can release a stone early, so swinging it around a billion times is asking for misfire. When pouch to cord is POUCH to
cord
then the cords can tangle together if you spin it too many times.

Otherwise I haven't noticed much of a difference.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Rofriedrich

Psalm 140:7

Texas
Reply #39 - Aug 29th, 2012 at 9:16pm

Oh ok. This has been goin through my head lately

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #40 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 9:19am

You can't really notice that well with most slings/styles. Ther'e a fair bit of Ideal styles for sling lengths, but not really that much difference between sling types.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #41 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 9:32am

A split pouch handles different sized, and especially the larger, projectiles better.  Solid pouches handle smaller projectiles, such as the various metal projectiles, a whole lot better.  A smaller cord will open quicker, so it goes better with a solid pouch, which is usually smaller.  As to style of slinging, this is a personal opinion, I like a split for the heliocopter styles, the glandes seem to "settle" in the pouch and make my releases more consistent.  This is especially true with big jagged rocks.  I have found that a solid pouch works well with underhand and figure 8, particularly with egg sinkers and ball bearings.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #42 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 9:33am

balearic target suits shorter heavier slings.

Fig 8 suits longer more flexible slings.

The rest are pretty much interchangeable.
Although a stiffer corded sling would work well with greek style.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

mitchrobinson

"Speak softly and carry
a big stick"

Sweet Home, Oregon, USA
8-strand round braid?
Reply #43 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 11:46pm

I am practicing new braids and knots and have a question.  So I have gotten good at the 4-strand round braid and I am trying to figure out how to double it around for the finger loop and then together to form an 8-strand.  Is it simply doubling up on the strands?  Is there a more complex braid that you could use to individually braid each strand still forming a round cord?

Thanks!

-Mitch

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: 8-strand round braid?
Reply #44 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 6:56am

I've never tried to do it with 8 seperate strands. I think it might work, but it will be more difficult to keep track of them all. I would just double up the cords, so I'm still working with 4 strands.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15)