ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 303260 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Now Taking Questions
Reply #390 - Mar 19th, 2013 at 8:43pm

Here's a better view.   
    Unfortunately, I don't have access to any of my old Rat Man comic books.  The only one that I know of that still exists is inside of a wall in what used to be my parents' house.  I put it there in June of 1966 when Dad was remodeling.  When Mom died the house was sold, which saddened me to no end because I thought that she was going to leave it to me.  The only way I can get hold of that comic book is to buy the house back.... maybe someday.

lobo.jpg (88 KB | )
lobo.jpg

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Re: Now Taking Questions
Reply #391 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 3:28pm

Nice, I have made slings from paper-cord I made at school(no, not slings at school, DUH).
Paper makes a nice, strong, but not too durable cordage.
-Squirrel.
RM, couldn't you go ask the owners if you could remove it? I bet they might let you, if you brought materials to repair and a few $.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

NorthwoodsSlinger
Descens

Mountain Man

Triple rockman tutorial?
Reply #392 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 3:48am

I'm having trouble finding a tutorial for a triple rockman sling. I've looked through this site and did a web search, but found nothing. If anyone knows of any instructions a link would be greatly appreciated!

If no such tutorial exists then can anyone explain to me how to incorporate the third pouch? I've successfully made a regular rockman, but I have no idea how to go about that extra piece.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Mods, sorry if this is a repeat question, I really couldn't find a tutorial anywhere.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I cut straight through the forest, and that has made all the difference.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Triple rockman tutorial?
Reply #393 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 5:30am

It it quite a new design to there isnt a tutorial yet.

I havent made one myself but I would start with the usual 3x2 braid. Then, a couple of inches before the pouch starts, add an extra cord to each ply so it becomes 3x3. This makes enough strands for a triple Rockman pouch.Once that is done, continue braiding 3x3 for a couple of inches before dropping the added strands to go back down to 3x2. Maybe drop again to do down to 3x1 for a lighter release cord.

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #394 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 5:35am

As far as I know there isn`t a tutorial for a triple rockman, but the principle to make one is the same as for the standard rockman sling. Start braiding the retention cord. 2-3 inches before it has the desired length, you start adding more strands into the braid. Now the total number of strands should be divideable by 3 (i.e. you should have e.g. 9 or 12 strands). Divide them into 3 groups and weave the strands of each group together as shown in the rockman tutorial. The middle woven part will be pushed automatically below the outer ones. Now you have two options how to combine the three woven parts together:
1) the middle part is located below the outer parts on the release end, too. Examples for this you can see here: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1361492875
2) the middle part overlaps the two outer parts, so that they are below the middle part on the release end.
In my opinion the second option works better, cause it gives the pouch a better shape, makes a smoother release and is more rockman-like (a rockman pouch needs an overlap). An example for this option you can see on the picture below.
After combining the strands, continue braiding for about 2 inches then start tapering, i.e. skipping one of the added strands every 2-3 braiding cycles. Then finish the release cord.
I hope this post could help you.

IP Logged

NorthwoodsSlinger
Descens

Mountain Man

Reply #395 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 6:15am

That's kind of what I figured as far as the strand count goes. I even tried to make one using 9 strands right off the bat with no taper and it was just way too much sling.

I've never added strands before, nor have I tapered a braid though I understand that process. How exactly do I go about adding strands? Also, what do I do with the excess twine from the dropped strands when tapering?

I'm going to start working on it later today probably. But for right now i'm waiting for the sun to come up. I have 75 snowballs outside that I dunked in water last night. They should be nice and solid by now  Cool

Thanks guys  Smiley

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I cut straight through the forest, and that has made all the difference.

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #396 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 9:46am

Adding strands to a braid is easier, when you add two instead of one by one.  It depends how you normally braid.  I´ll try to explain it with the braiding “over” method (the other would be the braiding “under” method).  Usually you take one of the outer strands , let´s say here the right one and cross it over the center strand(s) (eventually followed by another step like in the 4 strand round braid, where you first cross over 2, then turn back crossing under 1).  Then you repeat the step with the other outer strand, in this example the left one. O.k., until now, this is a normal braid.
Now you add the strands. Take a cord that is double in length like each strand you want to add. Take it at the center and bring it behind (=under) your braid, in a manner that the braid and the new cord cross rectangular.  Now you continue braiding using the method described above but together with the right outer strand you take the right part of the new cord. Do the same with the left outer cord and the left part of the added cord. Make sure that you make a tight braid, otherwise there will be a small loop at the center of the added cord. That´s all.

Tapering is also easier, when you drop two strands (on opposite sides of the braid).  Then you can fix them with a short west country whipping, i.e. tie them together with a simple knot on one side of the braid then with another knot on the opposite side.  When you want to skip only one strand you can untwist it, if possible, and then do the same as I wrote for the two strands. 

If you drop many strands on a short piece of braid, like it`s often done at the first part of the release cord, then simply cut the dropped strands so, that only a short piece remains. Then make a straight whipping over the whole tapering area.  Note, that a too thick or too long whipping can cause problems with the ammo release.  Therefore you could make also a reversed sling.  You start braiding from the end of the release cord, near the pouch you add the strands, make the pouch and then drop the strands and make the whipping. A thick whipping or a stiff part on the pouch-near retention cord doesn`t cause problems.

Good luck and have fun with experimenting  Wink

IP Logged

NorthwoodsSlinger
Descens

Mountain Man

Reply #397 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 10:19am

I see. That's gonna take some serious focus at first, but I'm sure once I get a handle on the process it will be easier.

I also had a question in regards to the positioning of that third pouch. In the pic you showed it seems like the pouch is more rigid and could therefore limit the projectiles that can be accommodated. I would assume that having the middle piece underneath would make for a more versatile pouch capable of holding projectiles of different shapes and sizes. Maybe that's just me though. Any insight on that?

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #398 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 10:58am

NorthwoodsSlinger wrote on Mar 26th, 2013 at 10:19am:
I see. That's gonna take some serious focus at first, but I'm sure once I get a handle on the process it will be easier.

I also had a question in regards to the positioning of that third pouch. In the pic you showed it seems like the pouch is more rigid and could therefore limit the projectiles that can be accommodated. I would assume that having the middle piece underneath would make for a more versatile pouch capable of holding projectiles of different shapes and sizes. Maybe that's just me though. Any insight on that?

This kind of pouch I found very "universal" for different ammo. Maybe the picture doesn`t show it well. The pouch is very flexible and follows the shape of various projectiles quite well. No slipping out of stones, cause this pouch design is kind of self centering. In fact it performs better than the other variant with the middle piece underneath. I tested this, too. Here`s a picture of the non overlapping triple rockman:

20-triple_002.jpg (172 KB | )
20-triple_002.jpg

IP Logged

NorthwoodsSlinger
Descens

Mountain Man

Reply #399 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 11:32am

Right on. I guess i'll just have to make all of the variations and see which one best suits my needs. It's not like jute is gonna break the bank.

Speaking of jute twine, how is it for making the triple rockman? It's all I've used besides 550 cord and mason line. I hear good things about sisal. How does it compare to jute in general? If it's worth getting then I intend to pick some up next time I'm in town. I already have some hemp twine being shipped [hopefully] in the next few days. Which of the three do you recommend for the rockman?

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #400 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 7:52pm

Here is an example of my triple rockman. It's essentially the same as a normal rockman with just more strings. I cut 5 lengths of 17 foot cord. After the finger loop I cut one of the strings off, leaving me with 9 strings to weave. When I get to the pouch I do it exactly the same as the double pouch, except there is one extra set of three strings, from which I make the third pouch.

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #401 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 8:21pm

I will do a tutorial tonight if you want me to.
I have the jute cordage and the time.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

NorthwoodsSlinger
Descens

Mountain Man

Reply #402 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 10:07pm

squirrelslinger wrote on Mar 26th, 2013 at 8:21pm:

That would seriously be huge man! Can you do pictures? I'm such a visual learner. To me, textual instructions devoid of illustrations make about as much sense as any other real language I can't understand. Tell you what, if you can go all out on it I'd be glad to trade you... something. We can figure it out.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #403 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 6:53pm

NorthwoodsSlinger wrote on Mar 26th, 2013 at 10:07pm:
squirrelslinger wrote on Mar 26th, 2013 at 8:21pm:

That would seriously be huge man! Can you do pictures? I'm such a visual learner. To me, textual instructions devoid of illustrations make about as much sense as any other real language I can't understand. Tell you what, if you can go all out on it I'd be glad to trade you... something. We can figure it out.

All pics, I am currently typing it on Notepad and will post it tonight:)

IP Logged

NorthwoodsSlinger
Descens

Mountain Man

Reply #404 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 7:42pm

All pics, I am currently typing it on Notepad and will post it tonight:)
[/quote]

You're my hero!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy)