Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 300801 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #1380 - Nov 4th, 2023 at 11:34pm

Great thought StaffSlinger.  I did a video with my interpretation of the technique also.  Here's the link to the topic: https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1676541844.  This was a very fun exploration.

IP Logged

Jackparsonsproject
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Huntsville, AL
Reply #1381 - Nov 19th, 2023 at 10:56am

Thanks for the advice.  I'm doing much better with the underanded.  We just got a new dog with way too much energy that is ball crazy and came already knowing how to fetch so we go out to the abandoned tennis courts daily.  I'm not even trying for accuracy right now, just lobbing it trying to get comfortable with the movement.  The "throwing" motion before the release is not working well for me, bu to t I've never been coordinated or athletic.  To keep the dog busy, I did manage to throw the ball one way while walking in another and I was pretty proud of that.

Nov 19th, 2023 at 10:46am
joe_meadmaker wrote on Oct 28th, 2023 at 7:12pm:
When I first introduce people to slinging, I usually start them off with an underhand release.  Sling Moustachio has a good video showing this method: https://youtu.be/I6kIZZQlW84.  Something I'll mention though is that you don't need to rotate the sling as fast as he is.  You can rotate and release it more slowly and controlled at first until you get used to the release point.  And when practicing underhand, you don't need to permanently adopt this as the style you're going to use forever.  This is about training your brain to recognize when to release the sling.  Once you're doing it well with underhand, you can try out other styles.

I'd recommend sticking with tennis balls for at least a few sessions and see if you get used to them.  No one loves them, but they're such a common projectile and no real threat to anything around you.  Other options will be dependent on what kind of areas you have to sling in.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #1382 - Nov 20th, 2023 at 11:01am

@jackparsons

If you are having trouble with the release timing. Try tying a rope to a ball. Either surround the ball with a net/balloon and tie a string to that, or just tie the string in a net around the ball with a long tail.  Then try throwing the ball with the tail on it. It is much more intuitive than a sling. But once you can throw this device (aka foxtail) well, switching to a sling should be an easy transition.

Jaegoor has taught kids with this and I think it's a great idea.

John R.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark)