Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 307378 times)
Yfir
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Sydney
Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #1365 - May 19th, 2023 at 6:15pm

You'd think the Romans would have gotten sick and died from their lead pipes.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1366 - May 19th, 2023 at 7:08pm

Beethoven died of lead poisoning. How many others are not known.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #1367 - May 19th, 2023 at 7:49pm

Yfir wrote on May 19th, 2023 at 6:15pm:

Well, they at least had high levels of lead. https://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/wine/leadpoisoning.htm... https://www.science.org/content/article/scienceshot-did-lead-poisoning-bring-dow...

Once, Toivo and Eino were building a house, but as Toivo worked, he would occasionally throw a nail over his shoulder. When Eino asked why he was being so wasteful, he said, “The heads are on the wrong side!” Eino looked at him and said, “You dummy, those are for the other side of the house!”

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #1368 - May 19th, 2023 at 11:36pm

Yfir wrote on May 19th, 2023 at 6:15pm:

A lot of lead pipes in homes still exist. Lead forms a protective layer on the surface that doesn't get pulled into the water stream as long as it is not disturbed and the water chemistry doesn't change quickly.  Lead can be quite stable. That being said, I still wouldn't want a lead water line if I could help it.   
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2023 at 4:22pm by IronGoober »  

John R.

IP Logged

Yfir
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Sydney
Reply #1369 - May 19th, 2023 at 11:49pm

That makes sense. It's interesting how what's viewed as a highly poisonous substance these days was pretty commonly used in the past.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #1370 - May 20th, 2023 at 12:17am

Just splurge out and get some tungsten. If you’re gonna find the ammo may as well use the best available material.

For a one time use ammunition lead is more economical but not as environmentally friendly.

Steel is a nice middle ground between stones and lead .

But really you can’t get more economical and environmental friendly than good old rocks .

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1371 - May 20th, 2023 at 2:49am

Exactly Mersa. I like to shoot stones. Finding really good stones is difficult for me, but it's worth it for me. I only shoot lead out of scientific interest. I work with different universities. Many years already.Lead is also easy to work with. This isn't steel. You want to use lead? Try it. It's interesting. Use a mask and take care of your hands. I still want up indicate something else. If you want to pull lead with a stab, there is a danger. Cooling down in the water. Only submerge it halfway into the water. Then they waited until all the water evaporated from the lead. Only then do they immerse it again in the liquid lead. If they don't, water vapor will form. This escapes explosively in the liquid lead. The lead then splatters around. So protect your eyes with glasses.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

jw

Slinging Rocks!

Virginia usa
Reply #1372 - May 24th, 2023 at 10:20am

Are their any in depth articles.on fist braiding because I have a book about sling braiding by Roderick Owen but it doesn't cover it at all and I've heart a book by Adele cahlamder recommended but I looked online and it's like 120$

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #1373 - May 24th, 2023 at 12:15pm

Teg has a video where he's doing some braiding and linked these resources in the video description.

https://www.jeanleader.net/othercrafts/peruvianbraid.html
https://backstrapweaving.wordpress.com/tutorials/tutorial-palma-and-margarita-br...

I've never done this type of braiding so I can't comment on the helpfulness of the articles.  But if Teg linked them, I'm sure the information is good.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #1374 - May 25th, 2023 at 2:52pm

Yes, these two pages are good starters. In particular the videos linked on them.
Some hints:
The start will be messy. Don't worry, it will even out eventually.
Pay attention which one are uppers and which ones are lowers. If you can't figure it out in the beginning of the braid don't worry and just pick something as a lower and continue.
It's easier if you take thicker thread.

The books by owen show the same structure as fistbraiding will make. However, its made on a marudai or a disk. If you struggle with the start, you can also start the braid on the disk, as taught in the book. Then take it off the disk and try to identify the uppers and the lowers.

Good luck!

IP Logged

jw

Slinging Rocks!

Virginia usa
Reply #1375 - May 28th, 2023 at 11:25am

Thanks for the info will definitely be trying that

IP Logged

Jackparsonsproject
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Huntsville, AL
Reply #1376 - Oct 28th, 2023 at 4:56pm

Just took a sling out for the first time.  I got 35 of 40 tennis balls in front of me using David Morningstar's videos and descriptions. No accuracy or power though.  At 30 yards, I never hit the fence.

I'm very uncoordinated.  Is there an easy to make sling that I can dry fire, or perhaps an easier style than helicopter?  Maybe I need heavier ammo because I don't feel the weight of the tennis balls very well.

Currently slinging with my vintage Aussie Pouch.

Thanks!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #1377 - Oct 28th, 2023 at 7:12pm

First thing I would recommend is to step down your expectations.  You mentioned no power or accuracy.  That's absolutely normal when just getting started.  Both of those things can take a long time to develop.  You also mentioned getting 35 of 40 tennis balls out in front of you.  That's great!  Depending on the release type, it's common to have projectiles going up in the air, way off to the side, straight into the ground, etc.

As with power and accuracy, coordination takes time.  Don't try to include too much body movement at the beginning.  Work on getting comfortable with releasing the sling at the right time.

You should be able to dry fire any sling.  But if you want one that will open up in a smooth motion (and possibly crack), you'll need a braided sling with a tapered release cord.

When I first introduce people to slinging, I usually start them off with an underhand release.  Sling Moustachio has a good video showing this method: https://youtu.be/I6kIZZQlW84.  Something I'll mention though is that you don't need to rotate the sling as fast as he is.  You can rotate and release it more slowly and controlled at first until you get used to the release point.  And when practicing underhand, you don't need to permanently adopt this as the style you're going to use forever.  This is about training your brain to recognize when to release the sling.  Once you're doing it well with underhand, you can try out other styles.

I'd recommend sticking with tennis balls for at least a few sessions and see if you get used to them.  No one loves them, but they're such a common projectile and no real threat to anything around you.  Other options will be dependent on what kind of areas you have to sling in.

IP Logged

Jackparsonsproject
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Huntsville, AL
Reply #1378 - Oct 28th, 2023 at 10:41pm

Thanks!  I had avoided underhanded for fear of tossing it over the 12 foot fence, but evidently I don't need to worry about that!

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #1379 - Nov 4th, 2023 at 10:35pm

In Project Goliath, Tomberlaine has been experimenting with the
"Greek Vase" overhand throw...  No wind up, no helicopters, the sling is just and extension of your arm, like a flexible atlatl.

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15, Chris)