Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 303239 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #1350 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 10:35pm

Two things will play a big part in answering that question.  What are you planning to sling?  And do you know what type of pouch you're going to make with the leather?

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #1351 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 10:43pm

Joe is right.  What is your usual sling ammo?  Also which style of sling pouch? 

Have you looked at the thread here in General section called PDF Leather Sling Pouch Patterns?   That should give you both some good ideas of shape as well as dimensions.

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #1352 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 10:46pm

As an example, if you go to this page that StaffSlinger mentioned (https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1344443925) and scroll all the way down to the last sling, a 6 x 2 piece of leather would make a decent tennis ball sling in that style. You could take it down a bit.  Maybe to 5 x 1.5, but I wouldn't go much further.

IP Logged

Goran
Tiro

Canada
Reply #1353 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 11:11pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jan 13th, 2023 at 10:46pm:
Maybe to 5 x 1.5, but I wouldn't go much further.

Confirmed. This one I made uses 4.5 x 1" strips. After the 3/8" grommets both being 3/4" in diameter, ain't no room for a tennis ball.

Great for small rocks, though.

IP Logged

jw

Slinging Rocks!

Virginia usa
Reply #1354 - May 18th, 2023 at 2:07pm

Possibly dumb idea I want to try lead glandes but am concerned about the toxic aspect of lead and I saw a video on making lead glandes I thing it was by jaegor and he had a wire or something and was just dipping it in the wax a bunch like a candle could you theoretically cast a lead one then dip in pewter or a similar metal and I think pewter is harder

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #1355 - May 18th, 2023 at 4:55pm

You could try -- but it will depend on the melting point of whatever pewter you get compared to the melting point of lead.

The toxic aspects of lead are why I won't throw it.

StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #1356 - May 18th, 2023 at 8:15pm

Are you worried about handling the lead, or leaving it in the environment?

Not much to do about the latter other than don't use it.  If you're worried about handling it, you can do a powder coating.  I'm not sure of the exact process.  There's a member on the forum, SiliconeSword.  He uses this method for his lead glandes.  You can see a picture in the Market Place area here: https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1680904305.  He has his contact info listed as well.  You could reach out to him and see if he'll give you any details on the process he uses.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1357 - May 19th, 2023 at 12:45am

Handling lead is not dangerous. Just note a few things. Ensure good ventilation. Clean your hands very thoroughly afterwards. I leave no lead in nature. I shoot at a special place. Or I look for the lead again with a detector.  Pulling lead is easy. It must not be too hot. Just about at the melting point.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

jw

Slinging Rocks!

Virginia usa
Reply #1358 - May 19th, 2023 at 6:34am

I was more concerned with the environmental thing and maybe the pewter coating would help make it more durable as. I'm pretty sure pewter is relatively harder

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1359 - May 19th, 2023 at 7:13am

Tin is harder than lead. Correct. But it's still very soft. On impact, the projectile will deform regardless of whether you coat it with tin or powder. So it should not remain in nature. I pay very close attention to that myself.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Blindsquirrel

Slinging rocks with bad
intent

Reply #1360 - May 19th, 2023 at 8:38am

?
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2024 at 2:17am by Blindsquirrel »  

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #1361 - May 19th, 2023 at 9:36am

Arsenic can also be found in the ground.  Wink

As with most other metals, lead is usually mined in the form of ore (galena).  In its ore form, lead isn't really dangerous.  But spreading lead that's pure can contaminate water sources or anything else in the nearby environment.  Lead isn't dangerous to the point we need to run away from it like we're crazy people in a zombie movie.  But there's a reason it's not used in things like paint, pipes, etc anymore.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1362 - May 19th, 2023 at 2:11pm

In fact, lead-containing ammunition has been banned from use in wetlands in the EU since February.  a general ban on ammunition is also being discussed.  there are only a few official shooting ranges where you can still shoot with lead.  Of course, many shooters find that stupid.  these places have high restrictions.  I can train on such a place up to 120m.  otherwise only on a private place with the condition to find the lead again.  the rest of the world may find it funny or weird, but I don't make the laws.  On the other hand, you don't necessarily have to shoot 50 or 100 g lead slugs into nature with the sling.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #1363 - May 19th, 2023 at 4:56pm

Most (if not all) of the States in the US have banned lead shot for waterfowl hunting.  Rifle and handgun shooting is generally done where there are bullet traps or at least strong sandbank where the bullets can be recovered. 

StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1364 - May 19th, 2023 at 5:08pm

Then it is similar in the USA as in the EU . Lead should be used and handled with care.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris)