ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 303274 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #1335 - Oct 29th, 2022 at 10:29pm

IronGoober wrote on Oct 29th, 2022 at 7:07pm:
If you're referring to the PP online competition, we all say it wrong.

Wrong = Americanized  Grin

I think we should just start our own slang version.  I use the terms 'Quad' and 'D' often enough.  I think a number of us do.  I know a diana being called a D is quite regular.  I think those terms work fine.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #1336 - Oct 30th, 2022 at 3:53am

I overheard some of the Spanish folk poking fun at us, lol.

eating pizza and discussing scores was when I realised I don't really know what I'm saying.

If you're referring to the PP online competition, we all say it wrong.

I'm pretty sure I've heard a judge say quatro.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #1337 - Oct 31st, 2022 at 5:17pm

Sarosh wrote on Oct 30th, 2022 at 3:53am:
I'm pretty sure I've heard a judge say quatro.

You may be right, for me not knowing Spanish, it is easy to mix up the "d" and "t" sound in the middle of the word.

Also, I didn't realize that square is "cuadrado" in Spanish. I just looked it up.  And reading Teg's response (which I didn't before, sorry Teg), he seems to also be correct about the word for "frame"... doesn't that mean that a hit on the leg of the frame is also 1 point Smiley 

Where's Ser Kraus? He could solve this terminology issue for us.

John R.

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1338 - Nov 2nd, 2022 at 11:05pm

IronGoober wrote on Oct 31st, 2022 at 5:17pm:
Where's Ser Kraus? He could solve this terminology issue for us.

I always hear a distinctive d when they announce the score in Catalan. I always hear the word "cuadro", but it's spelled differently. It's the exact same word, though.

In Spanish, cuadro can mean square, rectangle, frame, board, etc.  I assume the same is true in Catalan.

Cuadrado is an adjective to describe something with a square or rectangular shape. It's like the difference between the word circle and circular.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #1339 - Nov 4th, 2022 at 2:37pm

Thanks! That clears it up for me.

John R.

IP Logged

brokeOkie
Tiro

It’s slinging time!

Oklahoman in N. China
Anyone bought an Amdo Tibetan sling?
Reply #1340 - Nov 10th, 2022 at 6:11am

I’ve been looking at them here on the local shopping app, and I seem to remember someone saying they had tried one.  I’m still fairly new to slinging and want to try one from another maker to see how my design does or doesn’t do what I designed it to do.  Ha!  The one I designed is an Apache style hunting sling with a stingray pouch.  I added some modifications, which I felt would help with accuracy, and with my limited slinging practice I’ve had, it seems to be fairly accurate.  I’d like to try one from another maker with longer cords and see how it compares for accuracy and range.  Mine isn’t a super long distance slinger, but I want to make sure that’s design and not technique also.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #1341 - Nov 10th, 2022 at 8:40am

I've bought several of them.  They are really beautiful slings.  They have a bit of stretch (springiness) to the cords, so I've never been very accurate with them.  I usually break them out in the winter to throw snow balls.

The price is very cheap though so I would recommend anyone give them a try.  If you're only going to get one, go with the JaCun.  Those are the nicest.

AmdoCraftSlings.jpg (480 KB | 37 )
AmdoCraftSlings.jpg

IP Logged

brokeOkie
Tiro

It’s slinging time!

Oklahoman in N. China
Reply #1342 - Nov 10th, 2022 at 10:22am

Thanks for that Joe! I went ahead and bought the one above. I’ll see if I can find the one you mentioned on their online shop as well.  They are really cheap.  Heck, for $6 with shipping I can at least give it an honest go.

IP Logged

idigit
Tiro

Hurling Darts

Las Vegas, NV
Questions on Balearic Slings
Reply #1343 - Nov 13th, 2022 at 9:25am

Hello! I am an experimental archaeology student in Ireland that is doing a small project on Balearic slings. I've been making and using slings for almost a decade so I'm not starting from scratch with any of this.

I'm familiar with most of the modern guides and videos (on here and youtube) of Balearic sling construction: five or seven plait flat braid, split pouch, somewhere in the 35-50cm length, natural fibers, tapered release cord.

And I'm familiar with most of the historic references to Balearic slingers. However I'm having difficulty finding archaeological or historic evidence of the sling itself.

How far back does this specific manufacture design/style/technique go and how do we know? Seems like almost no academic has dedicated any time on the subject and as useful as the videos and guides online are, even those with Balearic locals, they're not easily citable for an academic paper.

Thank you!!

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

The United States of America
Reply #1344 - Nov 13th, 2022 at 10:13am

I don't know the answer to your question but perhaps this may help.

Livius refered to the Balearic sling as having a 'single strap.' This would make more sense to use when slinging small lead glandes compared to the design we know of today. It is also known that they would carry three slings. So they could have had three completely different designs.

It is my opinion that the Balearic sling we see today should be seen as contemporary and describe what is common today. Therefore, it is just a braided split pouch that lies flat and has a tapered release cord.
It can have less than 5 strands in the braid. Diego Camuñas, one of the most famous sling makers from Menorca, does a three strand braid. I would also say that it doesn't need to be a flat braid to be a Balearic sling.
There are also many people from the islands that use synthetic materials. They just can't use them in competition. Luis Pons Livermore, perhaps the most famous slinger today and also from Menorca, has pictures of slings on this site with synthetic materials. There are others who make them completely out of polypropylene.

My opinion here is controversial so maybe wait until someone who has actually been to the islands replies. People describe the Balearic sling the same way you do and I think it is unnecessarily specific. People will naturally build slings to different specifications based on preference, craftsmanship skills, and time available.

A physical sling from history may not exist. They made these slings from esparto, horse hair, sinew, or black-tufted rush. Basically any material they could get there hands on. So, any sling from the Roman era has rotted out of existence.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #1345 - Nov 13th, 2022 at 1:10pm

The modern day Balearic sling apparently originates from the Iberian peninsula, but the design very likely dates to ancient times. The statue of David by Bernini from 1623-4 holds a sling very recognisable as what we would call today as a "Balearic" sling. There is also a Spanish painting from about ~1440 clearly depicting a split pouch, and likely very similar in design. If the design dates back that far, I think its extremely likely that something similar existed in ancient times.
However, I believe the specific sling designs that directly originate from the Balearic Islands have been lost to history, and were gradually replaced in favour of the design people typically use on the islands today.
That is, a sling with a braided from loose fibre with a finger-loop that merges into flat braided retention cord (typically un-tapered or slightly so) a split pouch of 2 or 3 thongs growing in thickness (2 is most common), a thick belly that quickly tapers to retention cord thickness, then gradually reducing to the thickness of the finger-loop or thinner, and ending in a cord grip with tassel (no release knot). Like I say, there is some variation, but these general features are what make a Balearic sling distinguishable from other designs.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #1346 - Nov 13th, 2022 at 1:37pm

The modern day Balearic sling apparently originates from the Iberian peninsula, but the design very likely dates to ancient times. The statue of David by Bernini from 1623-4 holds a sling very recognisable as what we would call today as a "Balearic" sling. There is also a Spanish painting from about ~1440 clearly depicting a split pouch, and likely similar in design. If the design dates back that far, I think its extremely likely that something similar existed in ancient times.
However, I believe the specific sling designs that directly originate from the Balearic Islands have been lost to history, and were gradually replaced in favour of the design people typically use on the islands today.
That is, a sling with a braided from loose fibre with a finger-loop that merges into flat braided retention cord (typically un-tapered or slightly so) a split pouch of 2 or 3 thongs growing in thickness (2 is most common), a thick belly that quickly tapers to retention cord thickness, then gradually reducing to the thickness of the finger-loop or thinner, and ending in a cord grip with tassel (no release knot). Like I say, there is some variation, but these general features are what make a Balearic sling distinguishable from other designs.MMF wrote on Nov 13th, 2022 at 10:13am:
They made these slings from esparto, horse hair, sinew, or black-tufted rush. Basically any material they could get there hands on. So, any sling from the Roman era has rotted out of existence.

Esparto and black tufted rush are two names for the same thing. It's a particularly excellent material for this style of sling, for numerous reasons.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2022 at 3:21pm by Archaic Arms »  

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #1347 - Nov 13th, 2022 at 1:44pm

David statue sling 1623-24: file:///C:/Users/theol/Pictures/david%20statue%20sling.webp

Spanish painting of David and Goliath ~1440:

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

The United States of America
Reply #1348 - Nov 13th, 2022 at 3:51pm

Quote:
Esparto and black tufted rush are two names for the same thing. It's a particularly excellent material for this style of sling, for numerous reasons.

Ah, ok, thanks for telling me

IP Logged

BSchroe
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1349 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 10:26pm

Thinking of building a sling . Have paracord  and a couple of
Good pieces of leather . They are 6 inches Long by 2 inches wide . ( leather from good pair of pacs ) I need to cut down
Obviously . 3 or 4 inches ?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark)