Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 307505 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #1320 - May 18th, 2022 at 10:54pm

I agree with JudoP.  I would go with a leather pouch and paracord.  It's just my preference, but I'd go a little bit longer.  I prefer a sling length in the 25-30" range.  The distance to your target could also come into play.  If you're slinging at a target that is farther away, you might do better with a slightly longer sling.  It really just comes down to preference though.

All that said, you can sling tennis balls with pretty much any sling.  You just need one that will support a spherical projectile.  Small flat pouches don't do this well.  A ball can roll out pretty easily.  A leather pouch that will cup around the ball, or a split pouch that is the right length to allow the ball to sit down in it without falling though work really well.

IP Logged

jw

Slinging Rocks!

Virginia usa
Reply #1321 - Jun 12th, 2022 at 10:34pm

Can sisal be braided while wet because I started a sisal balearic and after It dried it didn’t seem very loose but it was not stiff at all also I got some 1/4 inch Manila rope how would. I go about breaking it down into fibers also would braiding polypropylene twine into the ends improve the function of a balearic

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #1322 - Jun 13th, 2022 at 4:41am

jw wrote on Jun 12th, 2022 at 10:34pm:
Can sisal be braided while wet because I started a sisal balearic and after It dried it didn’t seem very loose but it was not stiff at all also I got some 1/4 inch Manila rope how would. I go about breaking it down into fibers also would braiding polypropylene twine into the ends improve the function of a balearic

Sisal can be braided wet and some people do it this way (see aurelio ape tutorial on youtube). In my experience braiding wet makes the braid too loose when it dries, I typically soak and dry the fibres first, then braid them- this produces a much stiffer sling. You can optionally have a second soak and dry under tension of the whole sling to make it more pliable, though this may introduce too much 'springiness'.

Manila works very similar to sisal only it is stiffer. To break it into fibre my method is;
1) Fill the sink with hot water
2) Break rope into 30-40cm lengths
3) Put a length into the water and then unravel it by hand into the individual twisted strands
4) Use your fingernail to pull out the tangled fibres and smooth out the strands. You will probably lose a lot of material like this
5) Once you have all the strands for all the segments, then pour a fresh bit of hot water and soak the strands for an hour or so (not really tested how long to soak, also you might want to refill the bowl on occasion to get rid of the oil/glue that comes in these ropes)
6) Leave the strands to dry and then they are ready to braid, you may have to split the strands to make them thin enough, which means realistically you will lose more material due to tangling and loose fibre

Braiding in polyprop won't change the properties of the sling but it will make the tassel last a lot longer under repeated whipcracks

IP Logged

TheMightyAslan
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Manchester / Caernarfon UK
Reply #1323 - Jun 19th, 2022 at 6:06am

Here's one,
When I first started making slings I would you single strands of paracord however I often found that I spent a lot of time untangling my sling between throws. I then started making thicker slings with 4 strand round braids this seemed to help with the tangling but was a much heavier sling. I now make slings with one cord round braided and the other flat braided. I'm just wondering what the general consensus is on flat Vs round braid and the opinion on which tangles less? I think I lack the certain finesse to use a thin cord sling although I do love it's portability

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

The United States of America
Reply #1324 - Jun 19th, 2022 at 2:12pm

I know this doesn't answer your question.
Many people talk about tangling. I think it happens due to form or maybe poor sling construction. When I finish the power stroke, I continue to swing my hand forward to prevent the release cord from hitting me anywhere that could hurt. During this time, my sling straightens out. I've gone slinging for hours with single cord slings without tangling. Am I the only one?

As for round versus flat, the difference doesn't seem to matter to me. Flat braids could have a faster release because it is not as stiff in the direction it will open. Round (or square) could mean better rifled spin because it might take more torsion to twist. Both types perform poorly if the braid isn't tight.

As you have said, the single cord wins on portability and weight. It also makes it easier to replace/maintain the release cord.

IP Logged

JazzCat
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

MO
Reply #1325 - Sep 8th, 2022 at 10:08pm

Does anyone with staff sling experience notice a difference in accuracy between conventional pouches and triangular/Y/T pouches?

In my head, a projectile exiting a conventional pouch is inline with the front string, which it has to push past. A projectile from a Y sling will ideally pass between the front lines without much contact. I don't know how much this actually matters and welcome any thoughts.

Projectiles lost so far: 10

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #1326 - Sep 10th, 2022 at 1:32am

Hi JazzCat.  Welcome aboard!

There've been multiple discussions here on Y-pouches.  If you run a search you'll be able to find others, but here's an example: https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1629103628.

Just to mention up front, my only experience with a Y-pouch is with a regular sling.  I'm not sure if there is a direct correlation to a staff sling.  I've used a staff sling, but never one with a Y pouch.  If you do some experimentation with one, definitely let us know what you think about it.

The main difference seems to be that a normal sling will create spin on the projectile.  Once the projectile is released, it needs to push past the pouch and release cord (as you mentioned), and this causes it to spin.  This can also causes the release to seem slightly delayed (as compared to a Y-pouch).  A Y-pouch will release without doing this.  So it has a very clean release, and no spin.

Because of how a staff sling releases, I believe it will put back spin on the projectile.  The Magnus effect of a back spin should cause the projectile to carry farther.  So a Y-pouch may have a shorter flight because it shouldn't have the back spin.  It may also have a feel of releasing early if the slinger is used to a regular pouch.

This is all just theoretical.  Some experimentation needs to be done!

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

Reply #1327 - Sep 12th, 2022 at 7:25pm

So I have no experience with staff slings or y slings (unless you count my shotgun sling). Still, I feel the urge to speak!

A y sling can impart spin in a projectile. It will be in the same direction the pouch swings open. The spin will likely be slower than what you can get from a conventional sling. This slower or lack of spin is half the reason why some people find y slings to be more accurate.

To echo joe, y slings release earlier. So, you can make the staff sling release the release cord later. This could be a good thing because you can accelerate the staff over a longer distance.

I hope you give this a try. I don't know that anyone has tried this yet.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #1328 - Sep 15th, 2022 at 11:49am

the best answer is, build it and see for yourself

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

Reply #1329 - Oct 26th, 2022 at 4:20pm

Leather over braided pouch: good or bad?
Best way to stitch it on?

I get that the leather provides a tough wearable surface. Does it affect performance?

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #1330 - Oct 26th, 2022 at 4:40pm

I like leather over a woven/braided pouch. I use pretty rough, jagged stones and woven pouches won't hold up without a leather covering. I just use normal thread and stitch the edges. The only thing to be aware of is if the stone catches the stitches, they will rip, so be mindful of where the stitches are placed, out to the side and kind of underneath the pouch are best if you can.

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #1331 - Oct 26th, 2022 at 5:47pm

I definitely think it reduces friction and provides a cleaner release . In theory a cleaner release is more power forward and less spin . So yeah it’s a good thing.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #1332 - Oct 29th, 2022 at 3:49pm

when people hit the square I hear people saying cuatro isn't it quadra?

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #1333 - Oct 29th, 2022 at 6:35pm

El cuadro = the frame

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #1334 - Oct 29th, 2022 at 7:07pm

If you're referring to the PP online competition, we all say it wrong. I overheard some of the Spanish folk poking fun at us, lol.

"quadro" is square in Spanish, but everyone on the PP comp says "quatro".

But in Catalan it is "quadra" (or possibly "quadrat").

So, honestly, we just need to adjust 1 consonant and we'll be close enough..

John R.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy)