Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 303235 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #1305 - Jan 15th, 2022 at 4:26am

Often fishing weights are prone to tumble in my experience. 
The perfect shape ones do exist but not all are the same.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #1306 - Jan 30th, 2022 at 9:23am

Has anybody used cattail leaves in making natural fiber slings?   I've done some searching here, but I didn't find anything about cattails.   
The YT cattail-related videos are almost all about Native American basket-making and so not helpful to me. 
Any insights from anybody who knows anything about using cattail leaves in sling-making would be appreciated.   

I used to think this was going to be simple.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #1307 - Jan 30th, 2022 at 11:19am

I've tried making cordage from it. But that was before I knew how to scrape the fibers clean. Try scraping a leaf and see what kind of fibers you can get. You can also try retting some leaves in water for a week or two and then scraping.  I googled "cattail fiber" and found a paper that was extracting fiber to look for a cotton replacement.. they had minor success it seemed.

John R.

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #1308 - Feb 5th, 2022 at 8:03am

Another fiber question...   Does anybody have any experience using braided fishing line pieces as the loose fibers for hand-braiding?   My guess is that nylon monofilament line wouldn't be good, but I'm wondering about the braided, heavier lines in the 100-150 pound test range.   They're supposed to be highly abrasion-resistant (which sounds good), but they're also supposed to be slippery and slide easily through the eyes on fishing rods (which doesn't sound good).   I suspect this is another of my bad ideas, but I'd like to know if anybody else has already tried it.

I used to think this was going to be simple.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #1309 - Feb 5th, 2022 at 11:18am

If you are adding cords into a braid, then braiding slippery stuff can be an issue, but if you braid in the new cords for a long enough length, there should be enough friction to hold it in place. Not to mention the braid also tightens on itself with tension.

But that is theoretical at this point in time. I have never used fishing line.

John R.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #1310 - Feb 5th, 2022 at 12:14pm

I've done some stuff with dyneema fibre, it's a bit of a pain to work with. The problem is it's very slippery and also if one strand goes the wrong way or gets tangled you can't just snap it, perhaps it would be similar. I still think the best way to work with synthetic slings is non-taper/non-fibre because it's a lot harder to taper and splice with synthetics whilst natural materials are practically made for it.

IP Logged

Kordwar

Slinging Rocks!

Lancaster, PA
Reply #1311 - Feb 6th, 2022 at 11:10am

Quick braiding question, when twisting am I supposed to twist both in the same direction or towards each other? Typically I'll twist from left to right (or clockwise) for both sides, am I supposed to go clockwise on the left and then counterclockwise on the right?

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #1312 - Feb 6th, 2022 at 11:42am

No, both in the same direction like you are doing it. Countering the twisting direction will not work.

IP Logged

jw

Slinging Rocks!

Virginia usa
Reply #1313 - Feb 6th, 2022 at 3:02pm

I got this book https://www.amazon.com/Sling-Braiding-Traditions-Techniques-Bolivia/dp/076435430...
And did one of the cordless braids and it turned out square but in the book the braids seemed round
So my question is are some Peruvian/Andean braids square ? And does it affect the functionality of the sling

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #1314 - Feb 6th, 2022 at 3:36pm

Actually, most of them are square. As soon as you see a diamond or a chevron it will very likely turn out square. Spirals will be more round.
However, the basic structure of these braids is actually square.
If you alternate clockwise and anticlockwise moves, the braid will turn out square.
If you only do clockwise moves (or only anticlockwise moves), the braid will seem round (but it actually is a turning square).

It will not affect the functionality of the sling.

IP Logged

jw

Slinging Rocks!

Virginia usa
Reply #1315 - Feb 6th, 2022 at 4:27pm

Ok cool thanks I just figured I was screwing it up

IP Logged

jw

Slinging Rocks!

Virginia usa
Reply #1316 - Mar 6th, 2022 at 11:31am

Is it possible to splice a 24 strand Andean sling braid ?

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #1317 - Mar 7th, 2022 at 12:46pm

jw wrote on Mar 6th, 2022 at 11:31am:
Is it possible to splice a 24 strand Andean sling braid ?

Well, in principle yes, but you really, really don't want to do it.  Roll Eyes

I assume you ran out of string? If you ran out of strings, the easiest way is to add a piece with a weavers knot, then try to hide the knot inside the braid. But it will be visible.

Another option is to extend the strings directly. This works reasonably well with wool, where you can just "re-spin" a small part.  But you have to be careful when braiding afterwards.

A bit more work, but also possible, is to put a new string into the core, braid a bit, then replace one of the braiding strings with the string from the core, and put the replaced string into the core. Then repeat this 23 times  Cheesy.

A fourth option is to do just double up the braid and "hide" the standing ends  in plain sight as a colorful decoration/tassel/small braids. Then braid a couple cm doubled up, then either pull the short ends out and leave them standing (again a tassel or small braids) or put them into the core and taper them out.

As a side note: Eye splices are also possible, but quite a different thing to do.

eye_splice_peru.jpg (81 KB | 47 )
eye_splice_peru.jpg

IP Logged

larinen
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #1318 - May 17th, 2022 at 8:41am

What type and length of sling do you all think is best for use with tennis balls and target slinging?

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #1319 - May 18th, 2022 at 7:24pm

For the sling I'd probably go aussie pouch paracord and keep it relatively short 18-26''. Tennis balls are quite light so can be difficult to throw well with heavier slings- you can do it but it requires clean technique.

There's people here that sling tennis balls more than me though and may know better.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick)