Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 ... 93
Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 303400 times)
MMF

Slinging Rocks

The United States of America
Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #1290 - Jan 3rd, 2022 at 9:39pm

There is also this video. This is what I would like to try. Also, it has some cool music!
https://youtu.be/OZtWewsZAsI

Without any experience, this looks like a good way to fire glandes because of how slow the temperature of the glandes will heat up. I think natural clay as thick as a gland would be prone to cracking and even explosions as Jaegoor warned. It will not get as hot as other methods but it will sinter and I think it will take less time babysitting than other ways.

Also, I don't have an oven so prebaking clay means putting it out near a fire as Cherokee potter explained in his full comment. But even with a pre-bake, the clay still needs to fire slowly because it will shrink. Fire to quickly and cracks will form (and probably residual tensile stresses that make the pottery weak).

Then again, Morphy's actual experience says otherwise.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses! Smiley

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #1291 - Jan 11th, 2022 at 2:34pm

I've gone through the threads here about leather pouch designs and templates.   
I've also researched wet-forming leather here, but I haven't found anything.   
Has anybody here done anything with trying to wet-form leather sling pouches?   

I used to think this was going to be simple.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1292 - Jan 11th, 2022 at 2:42pm

Warum?

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Davy
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1293 - Jan 13th, 2022 at 5:41pm

Have any of you "slung" used sparkplugs as ammo?

It's been over 50 years, but they stabilized and I could bury them in a cottonwood tree till only the tip and sometimes a bit of porcelin stuck out of the bark Smiley

Davy

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #1294 - Jan 13th, 2022 at 7:27pm

@Lacumo - Not that I'm aware of.  As Jaegoor inquired, I'm curious about the intent.  Are you thinking about getting a pouch to hold a particular shape?

@Davy - I haven't, but I could see how spark plugs would be really good ammo.  Compact and with a good bit of weight for the size.  And more or less shaped like a glande.  Cool idea.  Also, welcome to the forum!

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #1295 - Jan 13th, 2022 at 11:02pm

Jaegoor wrote on Jan 11th, 2022 at 2:42pm:
Warum?

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jan 13th, 2022 at 7:27pm:
@Lacumo - Not that I'm aware of.  As Jaegoor inquired, I'm curious about the intent.  Are you thinking about getting a pouch to hold a particular shape? 

I was thinking about trying to do an Apache style sling with a slightly cupped leather pouch.   My ammo is rough stones (along the railroad tracks) and I wonder if a slightly cupped pouch might improve accuracy by gripping the stone more effectively than a regular flat pouch does.   

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #1296 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 8:37am

Typically cupping a leather pouch is more of a detriment in my opinion than a benefit although there has been one time its worked for me.

I had a braided/woven sling I made and stitched leather on the pouch. For whatever reason it was a little warped and wouldnt lay flat. I wet the leather and put a large billard ball size stone in it then rubber bands around the cords to hold it shut and weights to hold the sling taut downwards with the stone in the pouch. It completely fixed the warped leather and after that the sling would fold and lay symmetrically.

With rough irregular stones a cupped pouch will likely have the opposite effect. You want as little pouch interaction as possible not more. A balearic design with a stiff, thick split pouch would be better as it would release cleaner. Yet even that will not give you high accuracy. Poor ammo is poor ammo and theres simply no way around it. It will still release from the pouch inconsistently, plane in the air inconsistently and experience inconsistent drag. All of which will affect point of impact fairly drastically.  The fix would be to make your own ammo or find better ammo. Concrete, clay, tennis balls, golf balls etc would all be good fixes for you.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #1297 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 9:47am

I agree with Morphy.  A cupped pouch will hold some projectiles better, but because there is more contact, the release may not be as clean.

It could be argued that a split pouch is more accurate because of a cleaner release, but it's really going to come down to the individual slinger and what he or she is used to.  You can be accurate with either.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #1298 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 10:32am

I should probably clarify that the split pouch being mentioned is merely incidental to it being the standard on Balaeric slings and the balearic design was mentioned because typically it has such a stiff pouch which I think is what would benefit most.

Thank you for mentioning that Joe. I say this because as we speak I have a solid pouch, soft leather Apache in my pocket which has been for most of my slinging career the most accurate and favorite design I personally make. Balearic is right up there as well for accuracy. Most of it depends on using good ammo and knowing what you are doing.

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #1299 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 12:10pm

Thanks for the insights!   Morphy--you summed my slinging situation up very well.   I'm using poor ammo and I was trying to come up with a way to enhance accuracy with poor ammo.   

I'm in a city so I don't have a yard to play in, a slinging target or any backstop to catch my ammo.   My only convenient slinging venue is the local RR tracks, so retrieving ammo would be difficult and take forever.   As a result, I'm pretty much stuck with using RR track stones for ammo.   They're irregular and I know I'll never develop any serious accuracy or consistency with them.   On the plus side, they're free, there's an endless supply of them and I don't have to hunt them down and retrieve them.   That's hard for me to argue with and it's pretty much made me into a RR track stone slinger.   

I was just trying to come up with an approach that might enhance accuracy, but now I see that the direction I was considering would have been counterproductive.   Oh, well--one more of my many idle winter evening ideas that ended up in the Bad Idea Graveyard.    Thanks for saving me from putting time and effort into a project that would have been doomed to failure!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #1300 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 12:22pm

Wish I could offer you something better. Perhaps the only thing I could say is tennis balls dont go very far and are very easy to find. But if thats not your thing and you are set on railroad gravel all I can say is we have probably all been there. I certainly have at least. At least its fun and you can work on your form if nothing else. Have fun!

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #1301 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 12:28pm

An ammo question .....

Morphy's observations in the several posts above have gotten me going in another direction and now I'm reconsidering my ammo.   

I do my slinging on a railroad main line, so the only thing I could use as a legitimate target would be the pillars of a bridge that goes over the RR tracks.   These concrete pillars are round, so my ammo will bounce off in different directions.   I think golf balls will get destroyed on the concrete and tennis balls will go bouncing off to who knows where.   I think I could use some kind of "beanbag" that was made of durable sewn cordura or something like that and filled with lead shot or small lead sinkers.

So...  my new question of the day...   Is that (hopefully golf ball-size) cordura beanbag that's filled with lead shot a DIY project or is there anything like that available in the marketplace today?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #1302 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 1:25pm

Lacumo wrote on Jan 14th, 2022 at 12:28pm:
Is that (hopefully golf ball-size) cordura beanbag that's filled with lead shot a DIY project or is there anything like that available in the marketplace today?

The other option is a rustyball that is easier and cheaper than using leadshot. Basically it's sand wrapped in multiple layers of balloons. Jaegoor has a video on how to make them:

https://youtu.be/5nQQk8meHXE

These can be made very consistently so they are the same size and weight and when they hit a target they deform rather than bounce off.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #1303 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 2:07pm

Kick wrote on Jan 14th, 2022 at 1:25pm:
The other option is a rustyball that is easier and cheaper than using leadshot. Basically it's sand wrapped in multiple layers of balloons. Jaegoor has a video on how to make them:   https://youtu.be/5nQQk8meHXE
These can be made very consistently so they are the same size and weight and when they hit a target they deform rather than bounce off.

That looks great.   It looked like a measured amount of sand inside around a dozen balloons.  I'll have to try that out.

IP Logged

jw

Slinging Rocks!

Virginia usa
Reply #1304 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 4:53pm

The picture is from some fishing site that also sells weight molds would the shape work as. A glande or is it to long/skinny ?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris)