Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 303379 times)
MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #1275 - Dec 26th, 2021 at 12:41pm

jw wrote on Dec 26th, 2021 at 12:37pm:
How are woven pouch slings made I only know how to make the Egyptian style with the cupped pouch but how do you make the other ones like a split or just a flat non cupped pouch

the egyptian style slings are woven and pushed together to create the cupped pouch. if you want a flat weave, just weave the shape you want and keep it flat. experimenting helps with finding the best way for you

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

The United States of America
Reply #1276 - Dec 31st, 2021 at 12:20am

Has anyone tried firing natural clay glandes? A gland is much thicker than most pottery I see get fired on YouTube. I'm guessing you have to pre-bake before firing.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #1277 - Dec 31st, 2021 at 7:32am

MMF wrote on Dec 31st, 2021 at 12:20am:
Has anyone tried firing natural clay glandes? A gland is much thicker than most pottery I see get fired on YouTube. I'm guessing you have to pre-bake before firing.

Yes and warming/prebaking is a must to minimize loss. Fired clay is excellent and very traditional. I love it.

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

Reply #1278 - Dec 31st, 2021 at 12:14pm

Follow up question: did you fire the clay in an open coal fire or kiln (or something else)?

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1279 - Dec 31st, 2021 at 12:33pm

Vorbacken ist nicht nötig. Sie müssen nur trocken sein. Ton schrumpft beim Brennen. Die Geschosse werden kleiner. Bedenken sie das.
Man kann Geschosse im Feuer brennen. Graben sie diese unter dem Feuer in Sand  ein. Das Feuer entfachen . Die Glut wird es brennen. Einige Geschosse werden vielleicht brechen.
Achtung. Nicht in das Feuer legen. Sondern unbedingt vergraben. Im Feuer können sie regelrecht explodieren. Es kann zu Verletzungen führen. Also unbedingt im Sand vergraben.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

Reply #1280 - Dec 31st, 2021 at 8:00pm

@Jaegoor
Thanks for the advice.
Are you able to get the glandes hot enough to become ceramic?

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1281 - Dec 31st, 2021 at 9:00pm

Man nennt es schwarzbrand

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1282 - Dec 31st, 2021 at 9:20pm

Ich habe es schon einige Male gemacht. Eine Grube ausheben. Flache Steine als Boden auslegen. Eine Lage Stroh oder Holz Späne. Deine Geschosse hineinlegen. Mit Stroh oder Holz Späne bedecken. Jetzt eine Schicht Sand. Feuer drüber. Es muß einige Stunden brennen. Langsam abkühlen lassen.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

Reply #1283 - Jan 1st, 2022 at 3:16am

Very interesting! For anyone following: schwarzbrand is sawdust firing (Google translate calls it blackburn). Using this technique, you would not need to pre-bake. The clay still needs to be dry.

I've never heard of schwarzbrand before but this looks like a great way to make glandes from natural clay.

I will try this method when the weather improves.  Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #1284 - Jan 1st, 2022 at 2:16pm

I assumed by prebake you simply meant warm it in an oven to drive out any excess moisture.  Wink

Jaegoors method sounds interesting as well. I’ve not had much breakage by warming them first. Good luck to you.

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

Reply #1285 - Jan 1st, 2022 at 9:24pm

@Morphy
Are you placing the glandes in a pit fire after you pre-bake?

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1286 - Jan 2nd, 2022 at 12:03pm

Wir haben es immer so gemacht https://youtu.be/s-uQUWPyPys
Auf Englisch Pit firing genannt. Habe Mal nachgefragt. Mein Englisch ist wirklich schlecht.
Auf deutsch schwarzbrand oder Rauchbrand. Es gibt einige Methoden es zu tun.
Wir haben es wie im Film gemacht. Funktioniert gut.
Ich fand einmal ein Original hier auf einem Feld.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #1287 - Jan 3rd, 2022 at 2:02pm

Yes, with coals on bottom as well as on top. Perhaps its my clay or something im doing right inadvertently but Ive never had much problem with breakage. Im not the most experienced here by far. I might make that claim for concrete ammo but certainly not for clay.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #1288 - Jan 3rd, 2022 at 2:51pm

There was an interesting comment in the video Jaegoor linked. I'm posting it here:
"You would have a much higher success rate if you pre heated the pots around the fire for 2-1/2 hours. Slowly heating them and rotating them 1/4 turn every 15 minutes. Gradually inching them closer to the flames. When they are ready for full Emerson in the flames, the color of the pottery will change. Then, you will know it is ready. At that point, allow the fire to burn to coals. Take the coals back from the center. Then, lay a bed of sticks on the hot ground parallel and touching, making a platform to place the preheated pots on. This must be done quickly before the sticks can catch fire prematurely. Stack the pots mouth down on the sticks. Then, lay sticks tee pee fashion all around the stack of pots. Put enough sticks around to conceal the pots inside. Let it burn down and build the tee pee again. Let it burn down and THEN cover the pots with organic matter, (sawdust, dry leaves, dung).  Then, dirt to smother. Next day, you will have beautiful black pots!
Note: By burying the pots in sawdust at the beginning cold stage, you insulated the pots from the heat you needed to do the job! Then, prematurely throwing on the dirt, you smothered the fire before it could burn down to the bottom. If you had left the sawdust to burn down to the bottom, it would have worked. But, sawdust firings do not burn near as hot as wood firings where oxygen can get to the process, thus hotter fire. Use the sawdust at the end to furnish the carbon for a beautiful reduction fire.
Respectfully, a Cherokee potter."

John R.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1289 - Jan 3rd, 2022 at 4:45pm

Ein wichtiger Faktor ist der Lehm. Er muß einen ziemlich hohen Anteil an schamott haben .
Nach meiner Meinung lohnt sich so ein Brand nur, wenn sie viele Hundert Geschosse brennen. Meine Geschosse wurden immer anderem Geschirr zusammen gebrannt.
Ich verwende sonst nur getrockneten Lehm. Er reicht völlig aus, und ich kann ihn immer wieder verwenden.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick)