Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 303344 times)
JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #1245 - Nov 1st, 2021 at 10:04am

I think Pepe's sling is entirely polypropylene.

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1246 - Nov 1st, 2021 at 10:27am

JudoP wrote on Nov 1st, 2021 at 10:04am:
I think Pepe's sling is entirely polypropylene.

could be some other plastic. polypropylene is not the most durable material

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1247 - Nov 2nd, 2021 at 9:11am

is there a good tutorial for making a pouch like this ?

https://slinging.org/forum/yabbfiles/Attachments/2016-11-24_13_28_57.jpg

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #1248 - Nov 2nd, 2021 at 3:40pm

@MikeG I think you could do it with a loom or twining over sticks. I think the yellow on the outside is just stitched in after the pouch was woven.   

I'm not aware of a tutorial, but Teg's would probably be your best bet.

John R.

IP Logged

Balearic3
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

All Leather Sling - Leather Thickness
Reply #1249 - Nov 9th, 2021 at 10:09pm

I want to try and make an all leather one-piece sling, but before spending money on leather I might not be able to utilize, can anyone recommend a good thickness (oz weight) of leather for such a project?

I was looking at purchasing a 4" wide piece of leather (60" length), in order to be cut and tapered down, incorporating a 2 1/2" - 3"  wide central pouch/pocket.

Any tips or recommendations are appreciated.

Cheers

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #1250 - Nov 15th, 2021 at 3:32am

I feel like sithmas is around the corner??? Am I right??

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #1251 - Nov 15th, 2021 at 10:12pm

@Balearic3 - I don't think there's a lot of folks using that method.  I tried it once and it went pretty bad, so I don't have much for advise.  Here are some links with pictures.  You might be able to get some ideas from these.

Posts about 1/3 down the page - https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1238253826/15

First post by J - https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1172017416/7125

Posts by J about 1/2 way down - https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1172017416/6399#6399

And finally this one.  There are a bunch of deleted posts, just ignore those.  Scroll down to the post from Thomas.  He does some amazing things with leather.  https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1594031705/15

@Mersa - I think it's usually around this time.  So yep, I think it should be soon.  Or now.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #1252 - Nov 16th, 2021 at 4:49am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Nov 15th, 2021 at 10:12pm:
And finally this one.  There are a bunch of deleted posts, just ignore those.  Scroll down to the post from Thomas.  He does some amazing things with leather.  https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1594031705/15

I have one of Tomas's all leather slings. It's really beautiful, but I haven't used it too much. One thing is that it is a little difficult to get ammo to sit in it. Because it's fairly thick leather it doesn't cup all that much. That being said, I think if I used it more it would get a little more flexible.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

The United States of America
Reply #1253 - Nov 17th, 2021 at 8:07pm

Mersa wrote on Nov 15th, 2021 at 3:32am:
I feel like sithmas is around the corner??? Am I right??

Yes! I want to participate this year. I hope we have one.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #1254 - Nov 18th, 2021 at 4:56am

I'm definitely in.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Deltafour1212
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

BRAIDED LINE VS SINGLE LINE
Reply #1255 - Nov 18th, 2021 at 7:26pm

Has anyone compared a braided line sling with  a single line sling when slinging  ammo?   I was wondering if a braided line gives you more OOOMPH, speed, velocity and distance on your throw than a single string or vice versa.    With pouches being same for both.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #1256 - Nov 18th, 2021 at 11:14pm

Well if projectile weight and length of sling stay the same most of the time a single cord will be more efficient. But there’s many variables that can throw this generalisation off.

A lot is personal preference.

A sling does very little in comparison to the slinger.
Practice always trumps equipment.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #1257 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 7:19am

Deltafour1212 wrote on Nov 18th, 2021 at 7:26pm:
Has anyone compared a braided line sling with  a single line sling when slinging  ammo?   I was wondering if a braided line gives you more OOOMPH, speed, velocity and distance on your throw than a single string or vice versa.    With pouches being same for both.

There is some thought that perhaps a thicker/stiffer cord is easier to be accurate with. I’m still on the fence on this but having used some thicker slings I can’t immediately disregard the possibility. Also can’t prove it either though.

Balearic3 wrote on Nov 9th, 2021 at 10:09pm:
I want to try and make an all leather one-piece sling, but before spending money on leather I might not be able to utilize, can anyone recommend a good thickness (oz weight) of leather for such a project?

I was looking at purchasing a 4" wide piece of leather (60" length), in order to be cut and tapered down, incorporating a 2 1/2" - 3"  wide central pouch/pocket.

Any tips or recommendations are appreciated.

Cheers

It depends on what you want from it. With a leather “strap” sling if thinner leather is used it’s going to be prone to twisting as it will be really flat. If thicker, the cords can be shaped to a more rounded size but you will have to shape the leather with a spokeshave (maybe?).

Whatever the case oz weight in leather IIRC equates to approx. .4mm per oz so if you want cords that are similar to paracord thinkness look into 10 oz leather.

For me I would probably go 15 oz leather and heavily heat and oil the cords after shaping to hopefully get a decent bit of pliability.

Looking forward to your progress!

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #1258 - Nov 20th, 2021 at 6:51pm

A "how does the one handle compared to how the other one handles?" type question...

Comparing those hand-braided Andean-style Alpaca works of fabric art made by @Hubert and others to the seatbelt material slings that @Aussie did a thread about in 2009....   Has anybody ever done a side-by-side, same time, same place, same target, same ammo comparison of how those two types of slings handle and work?   

I used to think this was going to be simple.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1259 - Nov 20th, 2021 at 9:56pm

@
Lacumo

I do not believe anyone has done that, but i use both types. The braided for 4+ oz ammo and the seat belt for lighter ammo. The seat belt sling is def faster. I am more accurate with the braided at closer distances.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)