ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 303266 times)
IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #1215 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 5:46pm

@Delta How big is your split pouch? Keep it to about 4 or 5 " (10-12cm) long, and it'll hold most stones. If you are using stones that are 50g or less, then a split pouch isn't the pouch for you, you'll want a solid pouch.

I like split pouches because they seems to release the projectile more cleanly (i.e. I get better consistency). I also make the split somewhat small so I can go from baseball sized to ball bearing sized ammo.

John R.

IP Logged

Merddyn
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Indiana, USA
Reply #1216 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 5:57pm

might be the pouch length or width of arms. the size is more critical for spherical ammo, especially if it's smooth/slippery.
too long and a sphere can open it up and go through, too short and it tips over. oblong stuff is less picky.
split pouches also get less reliable the thinner and more slippery the arms are.
you'll also run into trouble if they aren't the same length.
hard to say for sure what the issue is without more info. if you want more, maybe post a pic of your pouch and the ammo you're using? if so, resize to 600-800 pixels square if you can. the forum is wonky with bigger ones.

IP Logged

Deltafour1212
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

POUCH MATERIAL, DOES IT MATTER?
Reply #1217 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 6:37pm

New to slinging. I caught the bug really bad and making up for lost time, with a vengeance.  In your opinion, do you really notice a difference what pouch material you use, such as a stiffer material such as thicker leather  or a more flexible material  such as nylon webbing, soft leather in having a more clean and consistence, release along with distance?

IP Logged

Deltafour1212
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1218 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 7:31pm

Thank you, IG!

How big is your split pouch? Keep it to about 4 or 5 " (10-12cm) long, and it'll hold most stones. If you are using stones that are 50g or less, then a split pouch isn't the pouch for you, you'll want a solid pouch.

I like split pouches because they seems to release the projectile more cleanly (i.e. I get better consistency). I also make the split somewhat small so I can go from baseball sized to ball bearing sized ammo. [/quote]

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #1219 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 9:24pm

I love a split pouch sing like the Rockman.  It is very versatile in that it can throw a wide variety of projectiles of different shapes and sizes.  Though I've made them from many materials, both synthetic and natural, I prefer jute.  I like both the feel and look of a jute sling. Plus jute is very easy to work with and it's cheap. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20121104161418/http://slinging.org/index.php?page=ho...

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #1220 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 10:35pm

@deltafour  I like natural fiber pouches mostly, covered with thin leather for wear resistance. Thicker leather for a stand alone pouch is ok, but I haven't tried too many variations to give you any good feedback. Woven pouches are my favorite, a Rockman style is a good one to start with, as pointed out by Rat Man.

John R.

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1221 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 3:50am

Deltafour1212 wrote on Oct 8th, 2021 at 5:32pm:
Newbie to slinging but caught the bug with a vengeance and making up for lost time.  I've tried the split pouch  and I can't keep anything in the pouch.  Yet on the other hand the solid leather pouch  I can hold something the size of the  neighbors cat in it ,without fear of dropping out  Can someone explain why the split pouch is so popular?  Am i missing something here?   

Delta

https://slinging.org/forum/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/center.gif

Thats because a split pouch is more consistent (in my opinion and it has less contact area (some prefer that).
At the end, it just depends on practice.

IP Logged

jw

Slinging Rocks!

Virginia usa
Reply #1222 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 5:26pm

https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1172017416/5550
For the kumihimo sling how do you do the pouch

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1223 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 5:32pm

jw wrote on Oct 9th, 2021 at 5:26pm:

You have to ask jaegoor (in german)

IP Logged

Deltafour1212
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1224 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 7:07pm

IP Logged

jw

Slinging Rocks!

Virginia usa
Reply #1225 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 8:01pm

MikeG wrote on Oct 9th, 2021 at 5:32pm:
jw wrote on Oct 9th, 2021 at 5:26pm:

You have to ask jaegoor (in german)

Ok thanks

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #1226 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 5:11pm

I saw a post here about sling length one time.   If I remember right, it said that a good sling length for a person is when you're holding the sling in your hand (ready to throw), with your throwing arm at rest and hanging straight down from your shoulder and the bottom of the pouch comes to about 3" above the ground.

I can't find that post any more, so...   Is my memory about a good sling length correct?

I used to think this was going to be simple.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #1227 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 10:19pm

@Lacumo - This post touched on the subject, but I don't know if it's the one you saw: https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1631705693.

There is no real answer to your question.  It's going to depend on the slinger and the style of throw being used.  But I'd say anything between a few inches off the ground to a sling that just touches the ground is a good starting point.  You'll ultimately need to try it out and see what you like.

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #1228 - Oct 20th, 2021 at 7:58am

Thanks, Joe!   That may well have been what I was trying to remember and find.   Now I guess I'll start experimenting...

I used to think this was going to be simple.

IP Logged

ThePowersNation
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Colorado, USA
Reply #1229 - Oct 21st, 2021 at 3:58pm

Still here, still trying to learn Balearic style.

I am wondering, what is the purpose of the longer wind up behind the head? It seems like turning it into a single smooth motion with only a half circle behind the head would conserve energy.

My only thought is that maybe the wind up is to get the classic "big" ammo of the Balearic slingers up to speed, other than that I feel lost on this and am unsure if I should practice with the longer windup I see in videos of Balearic slingers.

These aren't the posts you're looking for.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick)