Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 303283 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #1185 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 7:37am

Merddyn wrote on Jul 14th, 2021 at 12:15am:
how do you keep release knots from moving or coming undone? I'm having trouble with mine in both cotton and jute cords.

Needle and thread is your ace in the hole.

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1186 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 8:50am

Merddyn wrote on Jul 14th, 2021 at 12:15am:
how do you keep release knots from moving or coming undone? I'm having trouble with mine in both cotton and jute cords.

If you are having trouble, try sewing the knot in place.
It depends on the knot you are using too.
It would help if I knew what kind of knot you use, but i would recommend the figure eight knot.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #1187 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 7:34pm

Use a double fisherman’s knot, if you tighten it it shouldn’t move but you also won’t easily be able to move or untie it

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Merddyn
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Indiana, USA
Reply #1188 - Jul 17th, 2021 at 6:07pm

Thanks. I sewed the knot on one, just made another with figure-8. I was just using overhand knots, they kept rolling on me. this feels much more secure. maybe try double fisherman's sometime, the bigger knot might be nice.

IP Logged

ThePowersNation
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Colorado, USA
Reply #1189 - Jul 29th, 2021 at 7:45pm

Been in a slump the past few days as I keep trying to get down the Balearic style. Seems like suddenly I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn even though I was doing pretty good last week.

What are some ideas to help shake off a slump?

These aren't the posts you're looking for.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #1190 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 5:10am

Are you standing in the same place, at the same distance every time? Mix it up. One good thing could be taking a step forward if you miss and a step back if you hit. change your angle to the target too. I've found it can "wake you up" a bit to change things.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

ThePowersNation
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Colorado, USA
Reply #1191 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 1:29pm

Kick wrote on Jul 30th, 2021 at 5:10am:
Are you standing in the same place, at the same distance every time? Mix it up. One good thing could be taking a step forward if you miss and a step back if you hit. change your angle to the target too. I've found it can "wake you up" a bit to change things.

Just tried changing the angle and also the target, and it helped pretty quickly. Thank you!

Last time I asked for guidance the stepping forward and back was suggested (I think by you Kick) and I've been doing it since and it's also really helped with my progression.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #1192 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 6:18pm

Great to hear it helped! I think sometimes changing it up can help reset our targeting systems Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

ThePowersNation
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Colorado, USA
Reply #1193 - Aug 12th, 2021 at 1:30pm

I am noticing that I feel like I am more intuitive and using a different part of my brain for 3D targets than 2D targets. To the point that if I go 2D for a bit, it gets harder to do 3D. Its making me think about those claims Lars Anderson the trickshooter made in archery that the brain is designed to aim in 3-dimensions, not two, and target shooting is inherently unnatural in some ways. I am beginning to suspect it may be true for me at least, with slinging.

Is anyone else having similar experiences, and is this a topic that has already been covered on here? If so, where might I find it to do some research on it?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #1194 - Aug 12th, 2021 at 1:37pm

I dont know if this topic has been talked about as the main subject for a thread but im sure we have talked about similar things as they have naturally come up during dicussions of different aspects of target slinging.

Might be worth starting a thread on if you feel like it.

In answer to your question I dont know for sure if Ive noticed a huge difference in specficially 3d vs 2d. One thing I have noticed though is that especially with the sling you get good at what you are used to. If you have only ever slung at chest level targets put the target on the ground and see how different it feels. Or sling at a target partially obscured by weeds or other things. All these things have made me feel like I was relearning slinging to some extent until I got used to them through practice.

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1195 - Aug 12th, 2021 at 6:43pm

ThePowersNation wrote on Aug 12th, 2021 at 1:30pm:
I am noticing that I feel like I am more intuitive and using a different part of my brain for 3D targets than 2D targets. To the point that if I go 2D for a bit, it gets harder to do 3D. Its making me think about those claims Lars Anderson the trickshooter made in archery that the brain is designed to aim in 3-dimensions, not two, and target shooting is inherently unnatural in some ways. I am beginning to suspect it may be true for me at least, with slinging.

Is anyone else having similar experiences, and is this a topic that has already been covered on here? If so, where might I find it to do some research on it?

I am much more accurate on 3d targets, but i dont know why.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #1196 - Aug 13th, 2021 at 9:00am

I think that it’s easier to misjudge a miss as close in 3d .
I find a backstop helps

Can’t say I find either easier though

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1197 - Aug 25th, 2021 at 2:29pm

Is there a way to make woll less stretchy.
I have made slings from woll before and its very hard for me to hit with stretchy slings and would like to know if there is a way to make woll usable for me.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #1198 - Aug 25th, 2021 at 7:50pm

MikeG wrote on Aug 25th, 2021 at 2:29pm:
I have made slings from woll before and its very hard for me to hit with stretchy slings and would like to know if there is a way to make woll usable for me.

Methods that worked for me are;
1) Braiding around a non-stretchable core material
2) Soaking and drying under tension (this will lose a lot of stiffness too so watch out)

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1199 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 7:25am

JudoP wrote on Aug 25th, 2021 at 7:50pm:
MikeG wrote on Aug 25th, 2021 at 2:29pm:

Methods that worked for me are;
1) Braiding around a non-stretchable core material
2) Soaking and drying under tension (this will lose a lot of stiffness too so watch out)

thanks ill try that

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, Chris)