Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #1155 - May 20th, 2021 at 9:51am

This video at 20:09 shows how to make it

https://youtu.be/GCYPYWFvssc?t=1209

"Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.” ― Terry Pratchett

IP Logged

jw

Slinging Rocks!

Virginia usa
Reply #1156 - May 20th, 2021 at 12:33pm

Thanks

IP Logged

jw

Slinging Rocks!

Virginia usa
Reply #1157 - May 21st, 2021 at 6:24pm

Are there certain cordages that don’t stay flat for making slings because I was making a sling and I was doing a three strand braid for the finger loop and then doubled over for three strands of two and which was recommended by someone on this site and it twisted up and was very stretchy

IP Logged

czechslinger1.0
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1158 - May 28th, 2021 at 4:34pm

jw wrote on May 21st, 2021 at 6:24pm:
Are there certain cordages that don’t stay flat for making slings because I was making a sling and I was doing a three strand braid for the finger loop and then doubled over for three strands of two and which was recommended by someone on this site and it twisted up and was very stretchy

What material were you using?

Same thing happened to me twice(out of probably 40 slings I braided so far), but it was just due to my bad braiding skills at the time. The material was jute and except for that I never had problems with jute, sisal or any similar twine or cordage.

IP Logged

jw

Slinging Rocks!

Virginia usa
Reply #1159 - May 28th, 2021 at 5:50pm

It’s some soft non hairy cord that was advertised as macrame cord might so have no idea what it is it’s stretchy though

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1160 - May 31st, 2021 at 9:13am

Are there any movies with slings ?

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1161 - May 31st, 2021 at 2:34pm

There's a few. My favorite example is the Battle of Gaugamela scene in the Alexander movie from 2004. In it, a group of slingers and peltasts surge ahead of the phalanxes and harass the Persians. Twenty seconds after, the camera follows a slinger who nails a horsemen in the head and kills him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u73M1iBwW8o

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #1162 - Jun 1st, 2021 at 10:14am

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

ThePowersNation
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Colorado, USA
Reply #1163 - Jun 11th, 2021 at 1:20pm

I notice sometimes if I focus on trying to aim and cast intuitively rather than logically, my accuracy tends to get better at first, but when I try to repeat that it gets worse overtime and my form deteriorates.

Is there anything other than just practice, practice, practice to help merge that intuitive aiming while also being mindful of the form and steps?

These aren't the posts you're looking for.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #1164 - Jun 11th, 2021 at 3:45pm

If there's a short cut let me know Cheesy Practice is the be all end all in afraid.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

ThePowersNation
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Colorado, USA
Reply #1165 - Jun 12th, 2021 at 12:30am

Kick wrote on Jun 11th, 2021 at 3:45pm:
If there's a short cut let me know Cheesy Practice is the be all end all in afraid.

I figured, still I can't escape the feeling that my practice is sometimes ineffective, and worrying if there is drill or concept I should be implementing.

These aren't the posts you're looking for.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #1166 - Jun 12th, 2021 at 7:56am

One thing that can be good is starting off at 10 feet away from the target. When you hit the target, take a step back. When you miss, take a step forwards. The changing distance will force you to learn to adjust shots. It can be good practice.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1167 - Jun 13th, 2021 at 8:32pm

When you notice you are just thowing, not really practicing, you may be getting tired. Take a break or quit practicing for the day. I like to wander, throwing long shots just for fun.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1168 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 10:41am

How much material is needed for a balearic sling ?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #1169 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 12:20pm

Are you using fibres or string? How thick are you going for? How long? It's hard to say. Best method is to start making one and see how it goes Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)