Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 ... 93
Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 303277 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #1125 - May 10th, 2021 at 6:33am

Mike, the cord on the right in the picture is quite thin. Were I to remake that sling I would make the retention cord thicker near the pouch and then make the split pouch wider on both sides. Then make the side with the thinner cord much thicker at least for the first 6-8 cms coming off the pouch.  Then reduce the cord thickness of the new thinner cord to something about three times thicker than what you have shown in the picture, at least.

I would also work on the transition areas both on the retention to pouch side and the release to pouch side and make the braiding and shape smoother.

So quick summary this is what I would do-

thicker pouch, meaning each side would be equal to the amount of fiber you used in both sides in that one.

Thicker cordage near the pouch transition from cord to pouch. A thicker release cord. Get rid of that whipping on the release cord and use leather stitched on. Basically make it more balearic like although it doesn’t have to be made exactly like one.

Most importantly, as was already said, practice, practice PRACTICE!! lol. But if you want my honest opinion on sling making that’s what I would start with.

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1126 - May 10th, 2021 at 7:52am

Morphy wrote on May 10th, 2021 at 6:33am:
Mike, the cord on the right in the picture is quite thin. Were I to remake that sling I would make the retention cord thicker near the pouch and then make the split pouch wider on both sides. Then make the side with the thinner cord much thicker at least for the first 6-8 cms coming off the pouch.  Then reduce the cord thickness of the new thinner cord to something about three times thicker than what you have shown in the picture, at least.

I would also work on the transition areas both on the retention to pouch side and the release to pouch side and make the braiding and shape smoother.

thicker pouch, meaning each side would be equal to the amount of fiber you used in both sides in that one.

Thicker cordage near the pouch transition from cord to pouch. A thicker release cord. Get rid of that whipping on the release cord and use leather stitched on. Basically make it more balearic like although it doesn’t have to be made exactly like one.

Most importantly, as was already said, practice, practice PRACTICE!! lol. But if you want my honest opinion on sling making that’s what I would start with.

Thank you, i am going to try that when i make a next one and compare them. I will practise slinging with a friend today. He will make a video (he has a phone, i dont) and you will finally get the video you have been waiting for.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #1127 - May 10th, 2021 at 1:33pm

MikeG wrote on May 10th, 2021 at 7:52am:
Morphy wrote on May 10th, 2021 at 6:33am:

Thank you, i am going to try that when i make a next one and compare them. I will practise slinging with a friend today. He will make a video (he has a phone, i dont) and you will finally get the video you have been waiting for.

Haha awesome man! Where theres a will theres a way.

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1128 - May 10th, 2021 at 1:38pm

Morphy wrote on May 10th, 2021 at 1:33pm:
aha awesome man! Where theres a will theres a way.

He is going to send me the video tomorrow and you can finally see the video you have been waiting for. We did the slinging under a bridge and shot at some graffiti at 15 meters. (He is not that good and very new to slinging, that is why he didnt hit it that often) I have even shot with different stones, with different weight and shape, to see if i can hit anything.

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1129 - May 10th, 2021 at 2:07pm

I wanted to say, that my friend wants to join the forum, but has problems sending e-mails and he wanted me to ask if there is an other way for him to join.

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #1130 - May 10th, 2021 at 4:25pm

My question of the day ...   Is there a "go-to" tutorial thread on how to braid a Balearic sling?    I'm familiar with the stand-by Apache and Rockman threads (from the "Guides and Articles/Advice and How-To's" section of the old website archive) but I haven't yet found a similar thread about making a Balearic sling.   

I used to think this was going to be simple.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #1131 - May 10th, 2021 at 7:47pm

John R.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #1132 - May 11th, 2021 at 1:47pm

MikeG wrote on May 10th, 2021 at 2:07pm:
I wanted to say, that my friend wants to join the forum, but has problems sending e-mails and he wanted me to ask if there is an other way for him to join.

Person to ask will be Curious_Aardvark but I don't think there is really. What exactly is the problem? He can get a temporary email if he doesn't have an email address.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

almost always miss, occasionally
by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #1133 - May 11th, 2021 at 2:51pm

here's one made from esparto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wWZJJxYFWo

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

almost always miss, occasionally
by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #1134 - May 11th, 2021 at 3:01pm

IP Logged

jw

Slinging Rocks!

Virginia usa
Reply #1135 - May 11th, 2021 at 8:00pm

I got some nicer string then I have been using and am wondering what design would be best and what type of braid would make best use of the different colors the dark green is jute not sure what the other stuff is didn’t know if I should make a 3 strand braid with the blues or add one green for a four strand braid then eight strand for the cords

IP Logged

jw

Slinging Rocks!

Virginia usa
Reply #1136 - May 12th, 2021 at 7:26pm

Would beeswax work to improve the durability of string for a sling I’ve seen it used in bowstrings and thought it would be interesting if it worked

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #1137 - May 12th, 2021 at 8:07pm

Beeswax would. And its already used pretty extensively by some slingers. Especially with natural fibers I think its worth looking into.

IP Logged

jw

Slinging Rocks!

Virginia usa
Reply #1138 - May 12th, 2021 at 8:35pm

Cool thanks

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1139 - May 13th, 2021 at 7:36am

How long can you use a sling before you need a new one ?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker)