ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 303340 times)
MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #1110 - May 7th, 2021 at 2:11am

Morphy wrote on May 6th, 2021 at 4:18pm:
MikeG wrote on May 6th, 2021 at 4:50am:
Is it possible to make a strong sling from thin and weak cord, without needing many strands ?

No. I mean the term strong is relative and if you are starting with weak cord and few strands you are by definition not going to be making a strong sling.

If you want to rephrase that and say is it possible to make a "useable" sling then yes, you can although the durability and safety is questionable. Neither of which I would really gamble with when spinning a stone around your head.

Your cord doesnt have to be super strong but you do want it within a certain range of safety.

Mind if I ask what prompted this question?

I had the question, after one of my slings with thin cords got destroyed and i wanted to know, if thin cords can work well on a sling.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #1111 - May 7th, 2021 at 10:05pm

MikeG wrote on May 2nd, 2021 at 11:50am:
If you sling 100 meters with rocks, how far can you sling with clay or with lead?

The release comes into play here, as if the projectiles are flying sideways then the added density and aerodynamic shape of glandes won't improve things as much they should.
Lead is ~4 times as dense as stone, and a with a well designed shape I'd say they double your range at the very least. I haven't experimented much with clay projectiles, but they definitely fly further than your average stone due to the better aerodynamics.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #1112 - May 8th, 2021 at 8:13am

Going back to the leather thickness question.......
Thick leather isn't always stiff.
Thin leather isn't always fragile.
I'm experimenting with vegetable and chrome tan.
Chamois leather is incredibly thin and stretchy but "quite" hard-wearing. If it gets wet it goes stiff as it's dried but oil applied makes a huge difference. So far I have tried olive,walnut,linseed and camellia oils and aveeno (oat based) body lotion and baby lotion.
Results are mixed and interesting.
What I'm saying is use what you have.... Leather from a chair, a boot, a jacket and experiment  you never know what will work for you.
And...... Despite my love of leather and experimentation I still like my seatbelt sling best !   
Cheers,  Zud 👍

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1113 - May 9th, 2021 at 10:54am

How much more power can you get with a small sling (about as long as your forearm) compared to throwing with your hand?

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #1114 - May 9th, 2021 at 11:00am

If you are Albion, a truckload! I have not used anything below 18", but haven't been able to get as much speed as a longer sling. I'll have to test this.

John R.

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1115 - May 9th, 2021 at 11:28am

My new split pouch sling.

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1116 - May 9th, 2021 at 11:30am

It has the perfect lenght for me.

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1117 - May 9th, 2021 at 11:30am

It's made from jute and i used almost every trick i know and it feels great and has very good range.

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1118 - May 9th, 2021 at 11:36am

The range i get is 150 meters, wich is 50-60 meters more, than my normal balearic and egyptian slings.

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1119 - May 9th, 2021 at 11:39am

how can i make the sing better ?

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #1120 - May 9th, 2021 at 11:45am

MikeG wrote on May 9th, 2021 at 11:39am:

The best thing to do is practice until the slinger is better Grin

There are good slings and great slings, but skill usually trumps everything else.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1121 - May 9th, 2021 at 11:49am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on May 9th, 2021 at 11:45am:

The best thing to do is practice until the slinger is better Grin

There are good slings and great slings, but skill usually trumps everything else.

I wanted to know what i could change about the design.

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1122 - May 9th, 2021 at 11:49am

Have you got any suggestions ?

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #1123 - May 9th, 2021 at 11:35pm

MikeG wrote on May 9th, 2021 at 11:49am:
Have you got any suggestions ?

I don’t think you’ll like what I have to say Mike, but here it goes...
The best thing to do is get out and use it. You’ll learn what you like and don’t like, or something will show premature wear and you’ll learn from it.  You’re using a very traditional base design that’s been refined over thousands of years, so the design “improvements” are going to be reduced to personal preference and opinion. That’s something I can’t decide for you, so just go use it.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #1124 - May 10th, 2021 at 4:59am

What Nooc said Cheesy I've used slings that are very well made Balearic split pouch slings made from fibres with expertly woven on leather and I've used my ugly as sin paracord and slingshot pouch sling. The differences I think can sometimes be over played. If the sling can hold and release the ammo cleanly, then it's great. Already that will make it better than a lot of slings I've made and used (well tried to use).

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)