Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 ... 93
Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 303391 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #1095 - May 2nd, 2021 at 12:08pm

Lead would be considerably further while clay not as well. Weight plays a big role as well. Heavy ammo may seem to leave your sling slower but it doesnt lose speed as fast. 6-7 oz ammo with an appropriate sling length can go really far.

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1096 - May 2nd, 2021 at 12:17pm

Morphy wrote on May 2nd, 2021 at 12:08pm:
Lead would be considerably further while clay not as well. Weight plays a big role as well. Heavy ammo may seem to leave your sling slower but it doesnt lose speed as fast. 6-7 oz ammo with an appropriate sling length can go really far.

Ill try to get some lead projectiles now

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1097 - May 3rd, 2021 at 3:51am

Is there one style that is more accurate than all other styles? (If yes, what is it?)

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #1098 - May 3rd, 2021 at 5:24am

Figure 8

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #1099 - May 3rd, 2021 at 5:45am

Just kidding...all style can be accurate. Form is more important, and a well balanced sling, a good stone and a clean releasing cord.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #1100 - May 3rd, 2021 at 7:16am

There is no hard evidence that one style is inherently more accurate. The key to accuracy with a sling is finding an efficient motion that is easily reproducible and then lots of practice with good ammo and small targets.

IP Logged

quentonium
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1101 - May 3rd, 2021 at 7:39am

MikeG wrote on May 2nd, 2021 at 11:50am:
If you sling 100 meters with rocks, how far can you sling with clay or with lead?

Considerably father, depending on weight, size and shape. All of these play a role in affecting the projectile's ability to maintain it's speed for longer periods of time while resisting air resistance and deceleration

IP Logged

czechslinger1.0
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1102 - May 3rd, 2021 at 1:34pm

Morphy wrote on May 2nd, 2021 at 12:08pm:
while clay not as well

Depends also on the shape, for me biconical glande gives me much more range than just round stone, though round clay vs round stone, stone is going to go further. That is why I would love to try stone glandes once I figure out how to make them easily.

I also bought some fishing weights to try lead out, but now I reconsidered my decisions and don't want to actually use them and lose them.

IP Logged

ThePowersNation
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Colorado, USA
Reply #1103 - May 3rd, 2021 at 2:59pm

I notice that in most of my casts, figure-8, underhand, and balearic, my shots tend to pull to the left. What parts of my form should I look at to correct this?

These aren't the posts you're looking for.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #1104 - May 3rd, 2021 at 4:32pm

ThePowersNation wrote on May 3rd, 2021 at 2:59pm:
I notice that in most of my casts, figure-8, underhand, and balearic, my shots tend to pull to the left. What parts of my form should I look at to correct this?

You can try two different things. Try setting your feet differently so you are pointing more to the right.  Or, try accelerating the sling a bit sooner.

One thing that myself and others have been realizing is that hitting your target really just requires that you accelerate the sling at the correct pace throughout the throw. You only have so much range of motion to move, so by the end of your range, you're going to release the sling. If you go through the slinging motion too slowly, you'll miss left, and too quickly, you'll miss right (right handed thrower).  The slinging motion that really counts is the power stroke or "pull", where most of the acceleration of the sling happens. So, if you miss left (late), start the pull a bit sooner, or maybe even just try throwing harder.

John R.

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #1105 - May 5th, 2021 at 2:49pm

I need advice on leather thickness.   I bought some "leather" for making pouches at a nearby fabric/craft store.   When I got it home, handled it and cut out a piece of it I realized it's heavy enough to be a sewn-on pouch cover but it's not robust enough to be pouch material.   If I tried using this stuff with the rocks over at my Amtrak shooting preserve, it'd get worn out and destroyed in a few days.

Are there any guidelines or rules of thumb on what would be a good thickness for leather that'll be used as structural pouch material?

I used to think this was going to be simple.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #1106 - May 5th, 2021 at 9:37pm

Unfortunately not really.  You'll get different answers to that question.

For me personally I usually work with 1.5 - 2mm thick.  3mm is probably the thickest I've used.  I don't normally sling anything that's particularly damaging to leather though, so I pay more attention to how pliable it is and what it looks like.  I do use leather for rocks.  And fairly recently I've been working with some pretty monstrously sized rocks.  The leather is around 2mm thick, maybe a hair over.  It has held up fine.

For rocks I would say to stick with 2mm thick (5 oz in leather scale) or higher.  But also try to get something that feels strong rather than being light and flimsy.

And a thought on the leather you bought.  If you have (or can get) some contact cement or something similar, you can double layer it to add some strength.

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1107 - May 6th, 2021 at 4:50am

Is it possible to make a strong sling from thin and weak cord, without needing many strands ?

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #1108 - May 6th, 2021 at 1:41pm

MikeG wrote on May 2nd, 2021 at 11:50am:
If you sling 100 meters with rocks, how far can you sling with clay or with lead?

not from experience but from reading the forum for years I remember people reporting +50% range for lead.
I also remember and loosely tested that stones travel 2/3 or 66% of the absolute max range in vacuum (for a given speed). from the above lead should go 99% of absolute max in vacuum.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #1109 - May 6th, 2021 at 4:18pm

MikeG wrote on May 6th, 2021 at 4:50am:
Is it possible to make a strong sling from thin and weak cord, without needing many strands ?

No. I mean the term strong is relative and if you are starting with weak cord and few strands you are by definition not going to be making a strong sling.

If you want to rephrase that and say is it possible to make a "useable" sling then yes, you can although the durability and safety is questionable. Neither of which I would really gamble with when spinning a stone around your head.

Your cord doesnt have to be super strong but you do want it within a certain range of safety.

Mind if I ask what prompted this question?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man)