Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 ... 93
Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 308473 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #1065 - Apr 22nd, 2021 at 4:45am

There is no better Cheesy They are both designs that have been used for most likely thousands of years. Both work. Both have pros and cons. With a lot of slinging, it comes down to experimenting and finding what works best for you.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #1066 - Apr 22nd, 2021 at 5:27am

Kick wrote on Apr 22nd, 2021 at 4:45am:
There is no better Cheesy They are both designs that have been used for most likely thousands of years. Both work. Both have pros and cons. With a lot of slinging, it comes down to experimenting and finding what works best for you.

+1

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1067 - Apr 22nd, 2021 at 5:56am

How can i practise to improve my range?
I have been improving almost every day, but now i cant get past 100 meters. What can I do to improve my slinging range to get past 100 meters? (my goal is 200 meters)
It looks  like they are just dropping out of the air. If i sling stones they fly in an 45° angle, stop mid flight and just drop to the ground. (I use the sidearm slinging stile)

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1068 - Apr 22nd, 2021 at 8:50am

Well, that highly depends on the types of stones you're slinging. Jagged, angular, low-density stones are a joke compared to smooth, round, and dense stones. Night and day difference. A good stone doesn't buzz in the air.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #1069 - Apr 22nd, 2021 at 12:14pm

And then if you really want to maximise range, switching to lead glandes is the way to go. The problem with them though is that they're very hard to recover and you need a lot of space to ensure you aren't hitting something you don't want to hit.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #1070 - Apr 22nd, 2021 at 12:41pm

MikeG wrote on Apr 22nd, 2021 at 5:56am:
If i sling stones they fly in an 45° angle, stop mid flight and just drop to the ground.

If you can get a video of that, it would be amazing.  Smiley

I'm guessing it just looks like that from your vantage point.

In addition to what the other guys have mentioned regarding projectiles, something else you can do is try a longer sling.  I wouldn't go too much all at once.  But try a sling that is around 3 - 4 inches longer and see if you get some more distance.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #1071 - Apr 22nd, 2021 at 1:45pm

Sounds like it could be also be spin problem or projectile orientation. If you want maximum range with elongated projectiles, they need perfect rifle spin. The projectiles should also fly out orientated in line with the angle of your throw (i.e not flying tilted up, down or sideways).

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1072 - Apr 23rd, 2021 at 4:19pm

Thanks to all of you. I have already made a long sling only for distance, that is about 1foot 2inches longer than my normal slings and if i make it longer, it will be impossible to controll the throw. I am already trying to master the riflespin and i will surely try the smoother stones. (i dont have the ability to cast lead bullets, but will try that if i can)

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1073 - Apr 23rd, 2021 at 10:46pm

You can also try lead fishing weights. However, if you can't impart a rifle spin onto a golfball, then you should probably learn to do so before trying out glandes.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #1074 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 2:42pm

it would depend what you were slinging and why.
split pouches are for specific sized and shape ammo and really don't work that well for other sizes and shapes.

an egyptian sling - as we currently understand it is a solid and flat pouch.
So it will take any ammo you can fit in it.

So it's horses for courses.

Although if you watch a balearic slinging contest, the utility of a split pouch in inexpert hands is debateable.
Stones really don't like staying in the pouch.

hands down the best pouch design is a soft, shaped/cupped pouch that will take anything from a small pebble to a bloody great rock.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1075 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 2:26am

SerKraus wrote on Apr 23rd, 2021 at 10:46pm:
You can also try lead fishing weights. However, if you can't impart a rifle spin onto a golfball, then you should probably learn to do so before trying out glandes.

I sling a lot ( about 3 hours every day 1,5 for accuracy and 1,5 for range) and dont want to buy lead weights. I will try clay ammo soon.

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1076 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 9:12am

Damn that's a lot. How many shots are you making in those 3 hours?

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1077 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 4:14am

SerKraus wrote on Apr 26th, 2021 at 9:12am:

depends. I would say at least 250 for precision and well over 300 for range. That is about 600-700 at least ( i try to be as quick as possible and have a lot of stones to sling (well over 100000) But i often teach friend how to sling and I do less shots on those days (about 300)    ( i try to reach a military level in slinging, but dont have the whole day to practise. When i have much time, i sling about 5 hours wich is about 1200 shots, because i work on range more than precision)

IP Logged

czechslinger1.0
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1078 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 5:11am

MikeG wrote on Apr 27th, 2021 at 4:14am:
SerKraus wrote on Apr 26th, 2021 at 9:12am:

depends. I would say at least 250 for precision and well over 300 for range. That is about 600-700 at least ( i try to be as quick as possible and have a lot of stones to sling (well over 100000) But i often teach friend how to sling and I do less shots on those days (about 300)    ( i try to reach a military level in slinging, but dont have the whole day to practise. When i have much time, i sling about 5 hours wich is about 1200 shots, because i work on range more than precision)

WOW! I usually do like 4 hours but do at best between 50 and 100 shots, most of the time is spent hunting for stones that don't look like knife blades(and they usually are as sharp as a knife and they destroy even leather pouches fairly quickly). I wish I had such quantities of throwable stones!

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1079 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 9:21am

At that rate you'll be a professional in no time at all!  Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker)