Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 308511 times)
Lacumo

NY
Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #1050 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 7:09am

Kick wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 3:05am:
Awesome! Can't wait to see what you come up with Cheesy

From what I've seen of the difficulty involved in making braided slings with woven pouches, I won't be coming up with much very soon.   I have zero knitting, crocheting, weaving or braiding experience so this will be off of my usual beaten path.   I'm hoping I may (??) be able to produce passable braided slings by around a year from now.

I used to think this was going to be simple.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #1051 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 7:46am

Welcome Lacumo,

at the top of the page click and go back to general slinging discussion.

scroll down to
"Frequently asked questions and tutorials"

its all there.

Don't hesitate to try braiding. The only braiding I had done before was my daughters hair many years ago.

My first attempt was a balearic and that was way easier than hair. It looked a bit rough, took less than an hour and was "useable".

Since then I have made another 6 or so and each improves.

My favourite is still a seat belt sling  !!!

Good luck, have fun, play with string and be happy, look at cats   Grin

Cheers

Zud Smiley

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1052 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 8:36am

Lacumo wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 7:09am:
From what I've seen of the difficulty involved in making braided slings with woven pouches, I won't be coming up with much very soon.   I have zero knitting, crocheting, weaving or braiding experience so this will be off of my usual beaten path.   I'm hoping I may (??) be able to produce passable braided slings by around a year from now.

Nah it definitely won't take you anywhere close to a year to make a passable sling. You'd be surprised to see how good some people's first slings are despite their inexperience!

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #1053 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 5:13pm

Follow the tutorials closely Lacumo and like SerKraus said you will progress faster than you might imagine.

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #1054 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 6:34pm

Morphy wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 5:13pm:
Follow the tutorials closely Lacumo and like SerKraus said you will progress faster than you might imagine.

I've read the Apache and Rockman tutorials so many times I think I have them memorized.   I can see myself doing those two, but I think the more complex Andean style slings (those fancy patterned braids made with 1-3 dozen strands) look like something entirely different and some of the woven pouch projects I've seen look truly daunting.   I think I may plateau at the Apache/Rockman level for a while before I try to get artistic.   The fantasy of being able to make those Andean beauties is magnetic, but I'm going to see if I can avoid getting in over my head with this new hobby -- at least for a while, anyhow...   

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1055 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 6:48pm

Don't forget to sling tirelessly with the slings you do make. Get a feel for them and identify which attributes you like best to incorporate them into future designs.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #1056 - Apr 15th, 2021 at 12:51pm

Another question for whoever's around....   I'm going to be doing my slinging along an Amtrak main line.   The tracks are laid on a bed of loose stones, so I have a surprisingly isolated, private shooting preserve and an endless supply of free ammo.    Not quality ammo, but it's free and it's there for the taking.   The stones are in the vicinity of handball-golf ball size, though irregularly shaped.

The question:   Does ammo of that size/type make any particular type of sling best for me to use?   I'm starting out with basic paracord/seatbelt material pouch and paracord/leather pouch slings and I'll be adding in an Apache and a Rockman in the near future.   I'm guessing that those four should be able to handle my free ammo OK, but I wonder if anybody else has dealt with this kind of ammo and what their experiences were.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #1057 - Apr 15th, 2021 at 1:45pm

Hi Lacumo,
I always start with "bad" stones to understand a new sling. Big, small, flat, rounded, etc... It allows to better feel the sling.
Take pleasure is the most important.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #1058 - Apr 15th, 2021 at 4:34pm

Lacumo,

I started off in the same kind of location. The closer to a sphere/egg, the better. Angular causes them to roll out of the pouch in unpredictable ways.  The size is more of a preference thing. Just try a bunch of sizes, you'll hone in on one that you like.  I love rail-road tracks for slinging. Especially when the fill isn't angular, but more rounded. Occasionally, you can find iron slag (iron oxide) that is very dense and a joy to sling, (but it is angular, typically).  One of my favorite shots ever was at a spray can that I found lying there and I punctured it with one of these, it sent it rocketing off in addition to the punch from the stone.

John R.

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #1059 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 11:40am

What is the best size (diameter) cord to make a Rockman or Apache sling out of?   I got some jute twine from Ebay but it's way too thin for this application.   A Rockman made out of it would be robust enough to sling marbles but nothing bigger.   I've read that regular 550 paracord (4mm) is way too thick for this project.   What would be best -- something around 2mm diameter?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #1060 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 11:48am

Lacumo wrote on Apr 20th, 2021 at 11:40am:
What is the best size (diameter) cord to make a Rockman or Apache sling out of?   I got some jute twine from Ebay but it's way too thin for this application.   A Rockman made out of it would be robust enough to sling marbles but nothing bigger.   I've read that regular 550 paracord (4mm) is way too thick for this project.   What would be best -- something around 2mm diameter?   

Almost all of my apaches have been 550 paracord with a tab. One of the best sling designs in my opinion. They can be tack drivers if you have the skill to use them.

2mm is too thin imo.

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #1061 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 11:56am

Morphy wrote on Apr 20th, 2021 at 11:48am:
Almost all of my apaches have been 550 paracord with a tab. One of the best sling designs in my opinion. They can be tack drivers if you have the skill to use them.   2mm is too thin imo.

OK---thanks.   I've got a box of of 550 waiting for a project, so I'll try one of each with 550.   

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1062 - Apr 21st, 2021 at 4:30am

Hello,
I am new in this forum and only do slinging for about 2 months. I wanted to ask how the rifle spin changes range/accuracy and what i can do to get better at doing it (it only works in 1 out of 5 cases for me)

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #1063 - Apr 21st, 2021 at 6:09am

MikeG wrote on Apr 21st, 2021 at 4:30am:
Hello,
I am new in this forum and only do slinging for about 2 months. I wanted to ask how the rifle spin changes range/accuracy and what i can do to get better at doing it (it only works in 1 out of 5 cases for me)

If youre getting it once but not the other times it means something in your throw or ammo is changing from one shot to the next. A video would be helpful if you can post one so we can see you clear enough to make a judgement on what might be going wrong.

Pay attention to the orientation of your hand/palm in relation to the direction you hand is moving at the last part of the pitch as that can affect the spin you get. For example, if you are doing a side arm throw with your arm moving in one smooth horizontal plane and your palm pointing forward in line with the direction your arm is moving try adjusting your hand position so your palm is pointing slightly up or downwards in relation to the plane your arm is moving in.

This is just an example. Sometimes a throw movement is so off palm position cannot fix it by itself. This usually means you need to change something in your arm movement. Changing the path of the pitch drastically from the general path angle of the powerstroke/pitch can lead to some weird effects. Sometimes a large amount of unwanted spin can happen if a person is moving the arm forward but sharply pulling down (or any other direction far outside the main paths plane) at the moment before release.

These are all just examples. Basically play around with the angle of your overall arm movement and pay careful attention to how your hand is moving in relation to over all arm movement that comes previous to the powerstroke. Also the orientation of the palm in relation to those other two issues.

This is a crude representation of changing angle of the throw during the powerstroke.

The sling is like a comet with a tail that follows the path of the comet in a delayed reaction. Changes in angle or palm rotation half way through the power stroke “can” work but usually just because the change doesnt happen to produce unwanted spin. Other times the change can and it’s often easier to just adjust your powerstroke to stay in one “plane” of an angular path as much as possible. This also tends to be best for power as well.

Take all this with a grain of salt as I haven’t done the kind of scientific testing it would take to prove this beyond my own experiences. That being said I’ve dealt with similar issues and have come to the point of being able to fix most spin issues by keeping in mind the principles mentioned above.

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #1064 - Apr 22nd, 2021 at 4:32am

what is better, a split pouch or egyptian stile pouches?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris)