ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 303253 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #1035 - May 17th, 2020 at 9:58am

A tumbler sounds like a job for CA!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3666116

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

StoneHuevos
Tiro

Bet I can sling a rock
over them mountains!

Reply #1036 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 12:31pm

I want to try burning someone's name onto the leather pouch. I'm worried that it will weaken the pouch. Any thoughts? Maybe if that is the case I could put the name on a small piece of leather for the release, but for that size I may only be able to do initials. 🤔

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #1037 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 12:35pm

It willl largely depend on the type of leather used. Some stuff is fairly thin and can hold up to abuse unless it's damaged in some way. And then the parties over. Thicker leather shouldn't be a huge problem so long as you aren't using a blowtorch to put the name in.

IP Logged

StoneHuevos
Tiro

Bet I can sling a rock
over them mountains!

Reply #1038 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 1:44pm

I'm using scrap leather from hobby lobby craft store, it seems a tad thinner than I'd like it ~1.5mm

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #1039 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 2:05pm

What are you using to burn in the name?  In general I wouldn't have much concern with it weakening the leather.  If you have a small piece of scrap leather, you can burn a line on it, and then do some stress tests to see if it breaks on the burn line.

IP Logged

StoneHuevos
Tiro

Bet I can sling a rock
over them mountains!

Reply #1040 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 2:21pm

Great idea Joe! I was planning on using a wood burner\soldering iron.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #1041 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 2:22pm

I think a bigger problem than weakening the leather is the leather curling up and so (if it's a pouch) not holding ammo so well. Also it can look pretty ugly.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

StoneHuevos
Tiro

Bet I can sling a rock
over them mountains!

Reply #1042 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 4:21pm

Oooo I didn't even think of that. I'll need to do some experimenting

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #1043 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 6:07pm

Most of the leather that comes from craft stores is chrome tanned upholstery-grade leather.  Chrome tanned leather is softer than veg-tanned tooling leather, but I don't think you'll weaken it too much. 

I've used a cheap Super Carver laser engraver on that type of leather before.  If you get the settings right, it can look pretty good, but you definitely have to be careful not to overheat the leather or it will start to make wrinkles around where you burn it.  I've also had trouble with the smoke soaking into the leather and leaving marks.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #1044 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 4:15am

Leather pyrography takes a deft touch but you can make some beautiful stuff!!!
Show us what you come up with!!!

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1045 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 1:35pm

i know i am very late on this but have just been reading through the post
eight strand is the same as four strand...but...
instead of under one over one you do under two over two it is precisly the same thing ...there are other combos that you can use but this is the easiest

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #1046 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 3:04pm

Hello and thanks in advance to anybody who can help me out here.   My abilities at using the search function are limited but improving, so I may have missed the obvious.

I'm trying to find tutorials on making a Rockman sling, an Apache sling and a Tutankhamen sling.   The link to a Rockman tutorial that I found in the FAQ+Tutorial thread was a dead end and I haven't been able to find any tutorials at all for the Apache or Tutankhamen slings.   Anybody know where I can find what I'm looking for?

I used to think this was going to be simple.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #1047 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 3:14pm

Here are two methods for making a Tutankhamen sling:

Weaving:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120804011805/http://slinging.org/index.php?page=a-...

Twining over sticks (easier and the one I prefer):
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1576446462/1

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #1048 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 4:12pm

Thanks for your help.   That's one out of three down.   As I look at the levels of complexity and difficulty involved in some of the woven and braided slings, I think I can see a new activity to fill in next winter along with sharpening my knives and waiting for spring.   At any rate -- if anybody has any link to a Rockman or Apache tutorial, I'd appreciate them as well.

EDIT:   I found the Apache and Rockman tutorials in the archived version of how this site was "way back when", so I'm all set now.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2021 at 6:43pm by Lacumo »  

I used to think this was going to be simple.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #1049 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 3:05am

Awesome! Can't wait to see what you come up with Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)