Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
The 9 gland gang mould,and multiple glans at once (Read 16252 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: The 9 gland gang mould,and multiple glans at o
Reply #30 - Jul 8th, 2012 at 2:29pm

Whenever I sling at steel coffee type cans with little 1 oz stones it's not unusual to have the can almost wrapped around the stones. Now granted that's only from 20 meters or so but mine is a short hunting sling and lead is much denser than stones and also aerodynamic which these stones are not.  I imagine getting hit with a 30 gram pointed lead slug from a guy whose been training long distance slinging from a young age would be devastating.  I can only imagine 5000 of those things falling all around you.  What a crap way to die.  Grin

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #31 - Jul 8th, 2012 at 3:35pm

Most likely hits would have probably been on the upper body,and head due to crowded formations,and impact angle. Shoulders,chest,neck,head; In the shoulders,it would render one arm useless in  battle..In the chest,it could puncture your lungs,internal bleeding,slow death.In the neck...probably mortal wound.In the head,most likely mortal,but out of fight for sure. Getting killed by tiny lead bullet slung from a guy at 300m in a ancient battle..crappy way to die indeed
Glad your back Morphy,you've been off for a while..

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #32 - Jul 8th, 2012 at 4:00pm

Thank you my friend, unfortunately my time is up for today, and likely this week. lol... Cry Peace.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #33 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 10:53am

I've made another mold for 3 different historical lead gland reproductions. One of them has DEXAI written on it and a thunderbolt? on the other side.It weights 40g. Another one has a spearhead on it and weights 32grams. The last,without any inscription or symbol,weights 35g.
Soon they will be tested.I also made a 70cm thin,hemp sling with small,thin leather pouch for these light glans.That sling is probably more suited than the 110cm one i was using for lead.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #34 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 10:54am

Excess pinced off.. I'm also curious if the flat gland,the one with the thunderbolt and dexai,which is not a direct reproduction of the bullet found with such inscription,will make any buzzing noise.It has similar aerodynamic properties as a bullroarer and it should spin like it..

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #35 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 11:32am

Just wondering, after the flash is roughly cleaned off, can you hammer the remaining flash flat against the gland?

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #36 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 11:41am

jlasud wrote on Jul 12th, 2012 at 10:54am:
Excess pinced off.. I'm also curious if the flat gland,the one with the thunderbolt and dexai,which is not a direct reproduction of the bullet found with such inscription,will make any buzzing noise.It has similar aerodynamic properties as a bullroarer and it should spin like it..

Such flat bullets are attested. I don't think a bullroarer effect to be expected: the bullroarer meets air sideways on, your slab-bullet will propeller its way forward.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #37 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 1:06pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Jul 12th, 2012 at 11:32am:
Just wondering, after the flash is roughly cleaned off, can you hammer the remaining flash flat against the gland?  

Yep,that's what i did,and the ancients did it,also.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #38 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 1:09pm

Thearos wrote on Jul 12th, 2012 at 11:41am:
jlasud wrote on Jul 12th, 2012 at 10:54am:

Such flat bullets are attested. I don't think a bullroarer effect to be expected: the bullroarer meets air sideways on, your slab-bullet will propeller its way forward.

Do you say that it was tested?I'm curious about any info about it .
I Agree that a bullroarer meets air sideways,and the bullet from the front. Also if there wasn't spin,this shape like a bipointed flying disk should be of superior aerodynamic properties,than a rugby shaped.Maybe the spin even helps it..my imagination started wondering...soon i'll get a chance to try it so,stay tuned..

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #39 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 2:42pm

You mentioned a problem with molds warping and such. Perhaps you could make the cavity of the next mold a few millimeters thicker, and grind/file down the flat faces where the two halves meet? However if you have bosses for alignment, it may complicate things though.

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #40 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 3:10pm

jlasud wrote on Jul 12th, 2012 at 1:06pm:
Bill Skinner wrote on Jul 12th, 2012 at 11:32am:

Yep,that's what i did,and the ancients did it,also.

You must be right about this-- explains some of the really perfect shapes on Greek bullets. Some of the moulds also have file marks at the point of the bullet, to try to make then very pointy indeed.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #41 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 3:11pm

Donnerschlag wrote on Jul 12th, 2012 at 2:42pm:
You mentioned a problem with molds warping and such. Perhaps you could make the cavity of the next mold a few millimeters thicker, and grind/file down the flat faces where the two halves meet? However if you have bosses for alignment, it may complicate things though.

For the small molds i used to make,most were sanded to fit perfectly..those didn't had alignment bosses.With a gang mold ,and especially that this one was a reproduction,alignment bosses are a must. Maybe if the wet mold would be hung up or held on two sticks in the air,it would dry more evenly and not bend.Or putting the two halfs together and wrapped in textile,they would dry much slower,and perhaps more uniformly.The ancients sure had the solution...

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #42 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 5:13pm

Hey jla it's too cool to see your progresses in lead casting!
About the multiple glans tree, be warned that we've found one in Southern Italy, it was a votive offering for a Greek santuary, but I have to find the pictures... the tree was oblique! It dates back to the IVth century b.C.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #43 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 10:49am

You need to find the picture!

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #44 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 12:27pm

Mauro! i'm curious about that mold!
I arrived home from testing the glans cast in the 3 glans mold. I also made a 70cm,thin cord,tiny,thin pouch lead chucker for them. And i can tell you that these also go very far.Can't tell for sure,but from my experience in distances checked in google earth,i would say they went 200-250m.The best,maximum 300m,and those were the 50g LEG XIII bullet,my 57g perfectly symmetrical,and the 40g historical reproduction,the one that is the pointiest on the last picture. The 32g one with spearhead,although very light also travelled quite far. It should also be noted that i was about 30m higher than the plain i was slinging on,and i was just experimenting for the first time with such small glans and a 70cm sling. I think with more practice,and a bit longer sling around 80-90cm long 300m is very possible to attain with such light glans weighting 32-40g. So this brings me closer to say for sure that such light glans were used one by one and possibly had 300m range. My body height and structure is close to the ancient people's i think.Archaeologists could probably correct or prove this. I'm 168cm(66") and 60kg(132 lb) relatively fit,the ancients were more fit probably. These small experiments gave me quite an insight of what the ancient slingers were capable of,when slinging such small glans. Also the fact that 1000 slingers can sling 3 tonnes of lead in 15 minutes in the form of 30 gram glans explains why they were making economy with lead Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man)