Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sinew sling (Read 6202 times)
canteskuyaOMD

Slinging Clay

Riverside, CA
Re: Sinew sling
Reply #15 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 7:50pm

great sling, really dig the color, you said its more of novelty for you... have you had the chance of using it yet? Also jlasud how do you go about applying wax to a sling? do you warm and soften it then apply, or do you apply directly at room temperature?

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #16 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 8:37pm

When I wax my raincoat I just rub a block of paraffin on it at room temperature and use a hairdryer to melt the wax. After that that cloth soaks it up. I don't wax my slings, but I imagine the process would still work.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

canteskuyaOMD

Slinging Clay

Riverside, CA
Reply #17 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 9:55pm

What do you need a blow dryer for... doesn't that hair dry itself?!  Grin  J/K.....
I want to try that out but don't got a blow dryer.... i wonder if i could use your same method and just leave it out in the sun on a very hot day... today it was over 90 degrees out here

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #18 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 11:00am

canteskuyaOMD wrote on Jun 13th, 2012 at 7:50pm:
great sling, really dig the color, you said its more of novelty for you... have you had the chance of using it yet? Also jlasud how do you go about applying wax to a sling? do you warm and soften it then apply, or do you apply directly at room temperature?

Sure,i've used it for 2 slinging sessions and it works great! It seems that abrasion of crappy stones still grinds on it,but so far it looks more durable than hemp.
I usually melt beeswax with linen oil to make a paste 50-50 or more wax,less oil,and use that.It's like a cream so it's easy to apply to fibers,weatherproofing leather shoes,polishing wood etc.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #19 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 8:29am

So here's the composite sinew sling,it has been beeswax-olive oiled.It's as long as my general long slings,they're standard length:110cm (44")
After 4 shortish sling sessions with rough stones it's in excellent shape not even the 2mm thick cracker,after the realease knot blow off,very little wear on it Cheesy.With hemp,it goes away in 3 bangs Wink Nuff said
I've named it Inas (In=sinew ;Inas="sinewy" as attributive but it usually means valet Cheesy so it's my sinewy valet,my removable bio arm extender,for stone relocation Wink

Inas_009.jpg (98 KB | )
Inas_009.jpg

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #20 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 7:59am

canteskuyaOMD wrote on Jun 13th, 2012 at 9:55pm:
What do you need a blow dryer for... doesn't that hair dry itself?!  Grin  J/K.....
I want to try that out but don't got a blow dryer.... i wonder if i could use your same method and just leave it out in the sun on a very hot day... today it was over 90 degrees out here

Yes, that works very well.  It's best to put it out in the sun for a while first, prewarming the material, then rubbing the wax on and putting it back out in the sun.  I've done this with leather several times.

Brian

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #21 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 2:30am

After slinging hundreds of angular stones with this thin corded sinew sling,I can tell you,it's damn durable.
It beats any natural material by far.
Not long ago the knot blew off. but it still holds pretty well. With the stones around here it was a torture test and i'll have to give it 10+
As far as durability..it's as durable or more durable than paracord,or any poly stuff.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #22 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 10:10am

Masiakasaurus wrote on Jun 13th, 2012 at 8:37pm:
When I wax my raincoat I just rub a block of paraffin on it at room temperature and use a hairdryer to melt the wax. After that that cloth soaks it up. I don't wax my slings, but I imagine the process would still work.

Hairdryers and heat guns are just a faster process. That being said, some materials will burn or melt if you hold the heat to them for more than a couple seconds. I also bet there's some instances where a slow saturation would be better. But I will probably always use a dryer/heatgun myself.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #23 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 3:30pm

well, on wax, its called a hot water bath after you use a hairdryer or heat gun on it. it removes the excess so it dont crack. as for sinew, i dont like the stuff. it is expensive, hard to get in quantity, and as far as durabitiltity goes, it probably will not do too well with the broken tv glass i sling. i have to wear gloves to pick up the stuff, and only 3 fibres can take abrasion that much- sisal, steel cable, and copper wire. i have slings made from all 3, although the steel i substituted in chainmail for the pouch instead of weaving it. and sinew smells impressively bad!!! Grin

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #24 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 8:42pm

If your sinew smells bad, you didn't prep it right.  You didn't remove all the muscle fibers, they start to rot and your sinew smells, it can also give you food poisioning if you chew it.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #25 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 1:35am

The butcher did it .Also it's not very smelly.I have to stick it under my nose to smell it.  I didn't chew it,i tasted it,didn't like it much,so i used water.Damn vegetarian  Cheesy

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #26 - Jan 19th, 2021 at 9:13am

This thread is very interesting. I love Jlasuds sling he posted. I've been wanting to try sinew. I think if the ancients used thin slings (which I believe was more common among the Greeks than the Balearics) they would have used sinew. I've always had problems with thin plant fibre slings and their durability. Even hemp has its limits. Sinew and possibly combining horsehair seems to be the way if you want a traditional sling that acts similar to a  thin modern paracord one. I doubt whether ancient peoples used thin slings made from pure plant fibres a lot, thicker braided slings seem to be preferred when only plant fibre is used, because Jaegoor who is one who slings alot, can attest to how much a cracker has to be replaced on a plant fibre sling.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #27 - Jan 20th, 2021 at 5:41pm

It's interesting to read that the Balearics used sinew for their slings. Whether they made slings purely from sinew or just for some parts of them, I instantly think of it being braided into the end of the release cord because I imagine it would last so much longer than any other natural material. We know their slings cracked, so we can assume they used something that didn't require constant repair.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #28 - Jan 21st, 2021 at 5:37am

That would make sense. Sinew and rawhide are both tough as nails. The only issue would be if it got wet and then dried, I can't imagine it would work well as a cracker.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #29 - Jan 21st, 2021 at 6:41am

Many years ago I made a sling completely out of artificial sinew. It was very lightweight for it's size. The casts I did threw the stones a scary distance. It was one of the moments when I realized just how strong the sling could be.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)