Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Primitive Hunting Methods (Read 4084 times)
Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Primitive Hunting Methods
Apr 25th, 2012 at 11:57am

Does anyone know of any place where primitive weapons, the atlatl as a leading example can be used as a legal method of take for game, small or large? This would be mammals, birds, reptiles or fish. It's a definite 'NO' in Colorado.
Granted, if you're on Uncle Bob's farm, down in the holler (an American Hillbilly word for a secluded place, sometimes a ravine or valley), who's going to know and for that argument, why go through the trouble of buying a license or adhering to hunting laws at all.
I'm asking whether there is any place where it is legal to take any game with an atlatl, a homemade bow (not tested), blow gun, stick, rock, pitfall etc. In Colorado, even for small game, besides a rifle or mechanical traps you can use a slingshot defined as manually drawn with rubber bands so slings and sticks are out too.
TV shows don't count as in most cases special use permits would have been granted or other means used for if it is a legitimate program or documentary.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Primitive Hunting Methods
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 1:33pm

Atlatls and darts are legal for big game and fishing in Alabama.  Big game is defined as whitetail and feral hogs.  Fishing is for "rough" fish such as carp, shad, buffalo, drum and gar.  They can also be used in salt water but I don't know what is legal.  Slings and throwing sticks are legal for small game.  The odd part about the dart is the point has to be 2 inches wide (50mm), I have no idea where they came up with that size point.

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 1:56pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Apr 25th, 2012 at 1:33pm:
...the odd part about the dart is the point has to be 2 inches wide (50mm), I have no idea where they came up with that size point.

Must of had a Folsom Man on the panel that decided that one. "Ung say, wider is better!"

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 2:56pm

I believe it's legal to hunt alligators with spears in Florida. And when it comes to pest animals like opposums and snakes, you can hunt them with pretty much anything almost anywhere; except maybe the zoo.  Wink .

Also as far as I know, any state that allows bow hunting (Which is almost all of them because it is safer than rifle hunting) will allow "longbows, recurve bows, and compounds bows". So self bow hunting is quite legal almost everywhere.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 3:24pm

Dan wrote on Apr 25th, 2012 at 2:56pm:
Also as far as I know, any state that allows bow hunting (Which is almost all of them because it is safer than rifle hunting) will allow "longbows, recurve bows, and compounds bows". So self bow hunting is quite legal almost everywhere.

True however your bow's performance must be quantified. Here your bow must have at least a 35lb draw and for compounds no less than 80% let-off.

Safety in bowhunting vs. rifle is relative. Rifle hunters far out number bow hunters. That alone will give you a higher injury ratio. Bow hunting was thought to be more safe but as more people are hurt and animals wounded and/or abandoned is being more heavily regulated. As far as small and unreported injuries, most rifle hunters have likely not cut themselves on thier rifles or cartridges whereas bow hunters routinely sustain injuries like cuts and nicks or more serious injuries from broadheads or sustain other bow-related injuries; you just don't hear about them the way you do when someone is injured with a firearm. Anyway the thread isn't here to talk about rifle vs. bow or what is debatable as far as safety.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 3:29pm

Yeah sorry, I think all states have a poundage minimum around 40 or so. You also then have broadhead regulations. For example, here in Pa you can't have barbed heads. There isn't any reasoning behind these rules but the keep the government a little more in control and give the thousands of useless employees something to do.

A bow has less range than a rifle so they are generaly safer. But, in the hands of a careless hunter either can easily produce injury or death.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 3:42pm

Here in Cali certain non-game animals, i.e. pests can be hunted with a sling. Ground squirrels are among them. I think coyotes as well, though don't quote me on that. Not quite sure why one can't legally hunt rabbits with slings yet you can (I believe) kill up to 5 a day with a rifle or bow... Makes no sense whatsoever. Anyways I digress. That's about all I know of off the top of my head.

I'm really surprised CO is so strict. I would have thought atlatls would be legal there.

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 3:53pm

When I worked in Cali years ago you couldn't hunt coyote at all but that was in the Antelope Valley area. Around here you can take them anytime but primitive weapons are still not a legal form of take. There's not much squirrel hunting around here, not like in the east and south and probably for good reason. We mostly have pine squirrels and they taste awful.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 11:53pm

Everybody talks about hunting with an atlatl, you should try fishing.  It has a couple of advantages over bows rigged with reels  First, unless you are using seasoned cane or bamboo, you get a lot more penetration in water than an arrow.  The dart is heavier, it penetrates the tough scales a lot better than most fish points on fiberglass arrows, and you can make a much better point for a dart shaft than is on the market today.  If you are wading, it is a lot easier to carry than a bow and arrow.  It is usually a lot easier to find your dart.  In shallow water, you don't need any line attached to the dart because the point is in the mud but the body of the dart is sticking out above the water.

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 12:05am

Bill Skinner wrote on Apr 26th, 2012 at 11:53pm:
Everybody talks about hunting with an atlatl, you should try fishing.  It has a couple of advantages over bows rigged with reels  First, unless you are using seasoned cane or bamboo, you get a lot more penetration in water than an arrow.  The dart is heavier, it penetrates the tough scales a lot better than most fish points on fiberglass arrows, and you can make a much better point for a dart shaft than is on the market today.  If you are wading, it is a lot easier to carry than a bow and arrow.  It is usually a lot easier to find your dart.  In shallow water, you don't need any line attached to the dart because the point is in the mud but the body of the dart is sticking out above the water.  

Awesome advice, Bill!  I've never tried bow or atlatl fishing, but now I'm really tempted.  I'll have to look up local regulations and find a place where I can give it a whirl.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 12:43am

If it is legal, the flounder ought to be in shallow water about now.  I would think that anything legal with a fish spear should be legal with an atlatl and dart.  But check your game regs.

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #11 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 2:00am

Quote:
Bill Skinner wrote on Apr 26th, 2012 at 11:53pm:
Everybody talks about hunting with an atlatl, you should try fishing.  It has a couple of advantages over bows rigged with reels  First, unless you are using seasoned cane or bamboo, you get a lot more penetration in water than an arrow.  The dart is heavier, it penetrates the tough scales a lot better than most fish points on fiberglass arrows, and you can make a much better point for a dart shaft than is on the market today.  If you are wading, it is a lot easier to carry than a bow and arrow.  It is usually a lot easier to find your dart.  In shallow water, you don't need any line attached to the dart because the point is in the mud but the body of the dart is sticking out above the water.  

Awesome advice, Bill!  I've never tried bow or atlatl fishing, but now I'm really tempted.  I'll have to look up local regulations and find a place where I can give it a whirl.

Atalista, you mentioned earlier about taking your weapon to the local bow range and consistently hitting your target. I think fishing with your atlatl would be fun. I've bow-fished quite a bit and it's a lot of fun.  A small tip; for every foot your target sits under water you must aim several inches below. The light refraction, bending of the light can make you throw above your target if you're aiming right at the fish. A dart fitted with a good spear fishing head would be something to work with, perhaps like the Hawaiian sling that has three narrow  barbs. Spear fishing back home with a traditional tip or a Hawaiian sling usually yields some good results. For my bow, a spring barbed tip works good. When bow fishing you attach a cord to your arrow so you can retrieve a missed shot or to pull in your catch. I would think that you'd have to affix something similar to your atlatl dart. I wonder how that would work. Don't Eskimos hunt seal with a tethered harpoon? Anyway, just shooting from the hip on what might work. Can't wait until I have a field ready atlatl of my own to try it all out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark)