Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The Antiquity of the Sling (Read 13073 times)
kentuckythrower
Descens

Illegitimi non carborundum

Kentucky, U.S.A.
The Antiquity of the Sling
Feb 3rd, 2012 at 4:09pm

I understand there is a growing body of evidence indicating slings were developed during the paleolithic. Can this be true? Given their simplicity of design and effectiveness, it makes perfect sense, but how can this be proved?

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Re: The Antiquity of the Sling
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2012 at 5:56pm

I believe that the antiquity of the sling can only be alleged, unless we find some accurate wall painting or something similar (depot of stones for example; signs of stone impact on animal bones, whatever).

The problems are: how many Paleolithic evidences have been studied?
How many archaeologists know how does a sling works, and which traces it leaves on bones?
How many archaeologists know how a sling bullet looks like, so that they can recognize one with reasonable certainty?
And how many of them are currently analyzing Paleolithic evidences?

And so on... but I personally believe that the sling concretize such an elementary phisical concept that its creation during the Paleolithic can be assumed (at least I assume it without remorse  Smiley ).
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

ArchaeoMan
Tiro

ubi dubium ibi libertas

Manhattan, KS
Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2012 at 9:05pm

The earliest concrete evidence I know of is at Bagor, India where spherical pecked stones were interpreted as slingstones. The article only says that they were found in phases I and II of the site, which date from 5000-2800BC and 2800-600BC. Clay projectiles at Hamoukar - in modern-day Syria - date to around 3500BC.

That said, I agree that the technology would likely be around well before then, probably extending from the paleolithic.

IP Logged

kentuckythrower
Descens

Kentucky, U.S.A.
Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 11:49am

IP Logged

CHowitzer

(miro con honda)

The Snowy Wastes
Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 2:05am

Ye anciente slings and even modern ones aren't really built to last, at least not long enough for any archaeologist to discover it some few thousand years later. The sling may be much older than we can currently date it, but we'll never find those old, old slings that have long since frayed, broken, discarded, decayed etc.

What old Archimedes actually said:&&"Give me a sling large enough and I can chuck the World!"&&&&His words. In perfect modern English, too!

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 7:30am

Rumors says that slings has been in use some 80'000 years ago, but I've been unable to contact that historician yet  Angry
Stay tuned for further information!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 4:13pm

I am still fascinated by the history of the sling. In Guam, the sling was important to the Chamorro people. The official seal of the island is in the shape of a sling stone. If the Chamorro people are of Austronesian descent (southeast asia) and came to what is now Micronesia around 4000BC, did they develop the technology after they arrived, independent of any other culture or did they bring the technology with them? If they brought the technology with them, couldn't it stand to reason that the technonolgy was well in use in many parts of the world by many cultures like southeast asian cultures before 4000BC and long before projectiles found dating to 3500BC? Consider the use of slings throught the Americas. Cultures here developed totally independent of those areas where historical evidence has been discovered like in the middle east. It seems to me that the technology of the sling was developed at a common time, long, long ago, when the human population was much smaller, then spread out as the people spread out. Asian, European, African, American, Islander cultures all used slings.

Guam_Seal.gif (23 KB | )
Guam_Seal.gif

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

kentuckythrower
Descens

Kentucky, U.S.A.
Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 4:39pm

IMO slings have been around for a lot longer than we may think. Prehistoric men were just that...prehistoric. They had all the mental faculties we do and were not stupid by any stretch of the imagination. The mere fact they were able to survive and thrive without our "modern conveniences" speaks volumes about their capabilities. If someone discover's the remnants of a sling that was made 80,000 years ago, it wouldn't suprise me in the least.

IP Logged

CHowitzer

(miro con honda)

The Snowy Wastes
Reply #8 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 8:00pm

The fascinating thing about slings is that they appear quite literally all over the world. It seems every culture in every location at some point had slings. If we're gonna go by the standard-accepted "Out of Africa" theory, then slings were probably invented by early humans before they crossed into the deserts of Northern African and the Middle East. Hell, maybe having a decent hunting implement was what let them spread so fast and so far.

What old Archimedes actually said:&&"Give me a sling large enough and I can chuck the World!"&&&&His words. In perfect modern English, too!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2012 at 9:03am

It occured to me the other day (while tramping up and down the defensive trench around a 3000 year old hillfort actually) that technology really started with the use and invention of manufactured cordage.
And the sling will have been created fairly shortly there-after.

But none of the old slings will have survived - the ancients were well ahead of the game in that all their slings would have been 100% biodegradable Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2012 at 2:40pm

I would love to know what was going through the mind of the first sling maker when the idea of making a sling came about. How would you like to be responsible for creating something so universal and long lasting. Something that would be used for hunting, shepherding and war for thousands of years afterwards.

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #11 - Mar 10th, 2012 at 2:57pm

Morphy wrote on Mar 10th, 2012 at 2:40pm:
I would love to know what was going through the mind of the first sling maker when the idea of making a sling came about. How would you like to be responsible for creating something so universal and long lasting. Something that would be used for hunting, shepherding and war for thousands of years afterwards.  

He was being nagged by his wife who demanded better food fare. He might have been thinking, "I hope this finally shuts her up..."

IP Logged

CHowitzer

(miro con honda)

The Snowy Wastes
Reply #12 - Mar 10th, 2012 at 10:33pm

Quote:
Morphy wrote on Mar 10th, 2012 at 2:40pm:

He was being nagged by his wife who demanded better food fare. He might have been thinking, "I hope this finally shuts her up..."

Didn't every home have an emergency "wife-club" laying about the house for such scenarios?

Maybe the poor fella just got sick of throwing rocks by hand.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #13 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 5:16am

There was this theory around here about tying cords to stones to aid in throwing them, but since cordage was complicated technology someone invented a way to retain the cord when the stone was slung away so it could be used with many stones instead of just one.
timann

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #14 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 2:28pm

timann wrote on Mar 11th, 2012 at 5:16am:
There was this theory around here about tying cords to stones to aid in throwing them, but since cordage was complicated technology someone invented a way to retain the cord when the stone was slung away so it could be used with many stones instead of just one.
timann

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I would think that early man, able to use a simple stone flake to butcher an animal would also be able to cut strips of hide and make single strand cordage. The act of twisting and weaving strands of material of course would have come later. I would also think that even hair and sinew would have been some of the first types of cordage used and readily available. At least hair would even if it was your own.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)