Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Christmas? (Read 3958 times)
HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Re: Christmas?
Reply #15 - Dec 24th, 2011 at 7:01pm

We don't actually do Christmas. Maybe a gift or so, but no tree, special meals, whatever. I grew up with a sort of secular Christmas, trappings but no religious aspect, and my wife comes from a completely different culture.

That said, I really love traditional Christmas carols. If we could just get Christians to follow the true teachings of Christ instead of the warped version (e.g. Westboro Baptist) that seems to be ascendant these days.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #16 - Dec 24th, 2011 at 8:04pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Dec 24th, 2011 at 11:25am:
On Christmas eve we go to a 5 pm Church service filled with singing and celebration...

I swear I read "...filled with SLINGING..." and I said Wooow...!  Grin
Greetings and buon Natale!
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #17 - Dec 24th, 2011 at 8:48pm

Just come back from a Christmas morning service. No slinging but plenty of singing. Met a new family with a sweet little 8yo, a girl so radiant and filled with joy that not even Westboro Baptists could destroy it. (So sad that people could be so utterly, utterly twisted and filled with hate.)

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #18 - Dec 24th, 2011 at 9:53pm

Mauro Fiorentini wrote on Dec 24th, 2011 at 8:04pm:
Masiakasaurus wrote on Dec 24th, 2011 at 11:25am:
On Christmas eve we go to a 5 pm Church service filled with singing and celebration...

I swear I read "...filled with SLINGING..." and I said Wooow...!  Grin
Greetings and buon Natale!
Mauro.

lol I jusr read that as slinging too.

BTW, let's keep discussion on WBC to a minimum

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #19 - Dec 25th, 2011 at 1:54am

11pm church service tonight, lasted a bit past 12 (well, it was the 24th, since I haven't slept yet I consider it to still be teh 24th, though it's now teh 25th where I am). Bunch of singing, praising God, remembering the alleged birth of Jesus. Ended with the passing of Christ's flame, we all had candels to grab it, that was a nice part. Everyone  holding up the flames as Silent Night was sung was beautiful.

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

dan74
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

United States
Reply #20 - Sep 24th, 2021 at 8:52am

I'm not sure how did I find this old post, but it's really cool! Now it's 10 years after, and Christmas 2021 is coming soon, I think the best way to celebrate, as you've mentioned, is to eat. Cheesy
We usually eat Christmas dinner together with the all family, and also we give presents one another.
For our family, Christmas is the best day of the year.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #21 - Sep 25th, 2021 at 8:52am

Feasting is a great way to celebrate Christmas.  Mom was a master in the kitchen.  For a few years my wife and I (mostly me) did Christmas dinner for the family.   It's a tremendous amount of work.  Then my nieces took over and have been doing it since.  We haven't had a family get together since Covid happened.  I hope one of the nieces does Christmas this year.  I miss those times. 
     I'm glad you found this old thread too. I like reading our old friends posts.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #22 - Sep 26th, 2021 at 8:42am

Being with family and being grateful for what I have.

Food is also a big one. These days in my stocking I dont care for candies. Instead I try to hint about all the delicious and strange cheeses that I love so my wife will fill it full of that. Man I love cheese and all the varieties they have.

Mostly its seeing others enjoy gifts I got, especially our daughter, but then also I know they are always happy to see when I love a gift so it goes both ways. I think Christmas is all about  each other and as a Christian, gratitude towards God.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #23 - Sep 30th, 2021 at 7:43am

I love everything about christmas.
Getting people presents, food, boxing Day games and the fact that the telly is not on for a few days Smiley

I make cold smoked salmon and cure Ham for Christmas day and boxing day, respectively.

Boxing day is cold meats day, so I usually cook the ham christmas day night.

Then there's the mass production of mincepies in the leadup to Christmas with home made mincemeat
And my traditional Christmas sausage recipe made with turkey, cranberries and sage.

We grow our own Brussels sprouts as well.
And homemade Christmas pudding.

So yeah food is a huge part of my Christmas.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #24 - Oct 1st, 2021 at 9:02pm

Food is more important than location to me. Especially icing cookies and decorating, my family would put sprinkles on top of the buttercream as our main method and that is something that I love sharing with my children.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark)