Send Topic Print
Christmas? (Read 3911 times)
Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Christmas?
Dec 22nd, 2011 at 11:30am

Do you selebrate Christmas? If yes, how are you selebrating in your family?

I´m married and have two kids, 11 and 16 years old, so the intense selebrating with santa visiting on the 24th is now not so importent. I never get one to "play" santa, so  the gifts normally was in a jute-sack ( or two) standing by the firepit in the morning of the 24th.
When the kids woke up there was also a small gift in a socking hanging on the door. Normally there was some kind of " something to do-gift" like a video/DVD or a game. Then they rush downstares to look at the sacks and then they place the gift under the christmas tree. We decorate the tree the evening before.

Nowadays, the gifts already lying under the tree in the morning Smiley And the sock-gift is gone.

We eat special christmas food at 13.00 or so

( not my fotos, I found them in internet)

becuase ....

.... at 15.00 we all sit down in front of the TV for watching "Donald Duck". Almost EVERYONE in Sweden watch this special "Donald Duck and his friends"christmas special show.
It´s kind of not allowed to record this show to see before or after 15. It "must" be seen right then at 15.00.

After that we open our gifts and then it kinda over for this time..

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Christmas?
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2011 at 1:32pm

Your Christmas sounds and looks wonderful, Ulrica.  We'll probably open our presents the day after Christmas since my daughter can't be here before that.  Usually we do it on Christmas morning.  Once, as kids, we badgered Mom into letting us open them on Christmas Eve.  It almost ruined Christmas for us and we made her promise to make us wait until the morning no matter how much we begged.  This will be our second Christmas without Mom, but the magic spell she wove around the holiday still remains. She was amazing.
   On Christmas day we'll go over to one of my niece's (Millie) house for dinner with the family.  Turkey is usually the star but there will probably be a ham too.  After dinner some of us will watch football and some will sit around the table and blab until one of my nephew, Matt, puts on his puppet show.  This is a high point of the day.  We won't be able to stay for more than three or four hours because Kali is crazy and can't be left alone for much longer than that.  
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2021 at 8:56am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2011 at 2:26pm

Here in Norway Christmas = Christmas eve.  We`ll spend the day trying not to eat to much of the Chrismas snack and cakes/cookies I have made, while watching the traditional Christmas television shows until five in the evening.  Then my brother an I, with our familys, will walk over to my mum, where we all + my brothers mother-in law will eat the traditional rib, which is side of pork, with bone and skin and whatnot and which is absolutely fabulous after many hours in the oven.  Some us will probably have a little beer and a little Aquavit beside it, as is traditional, but we tend to be careful with the stuff.
Later we`ll open Chrasmas gifts in my brother`s house, because they got the largest heap of them laying about, while we`ll test out the result of my sister-in-laws Christmas baking.

Christmas day is more or less the day after, we`ll continue eating good stuff, I`ll probably walk a lot with Buster, it will probably be time for slinging and sling making.
I have a bit of Christmas holliday, no work until next year, and I`m going to enjoy it Smiley

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2011 at 4:47pm

We used to have a pretty steryotypical Christmas minus Santa (parents are Christian) for many years. But as we got older it's really just a time of great food and chilling with family and friends plus gifts and remembering the great scarifice that occured almost 2,000 years ago.

Merry Christmas, Dan.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2011 at 5:53pm

First Christmas with my wife this year actually  Smiley We can't afford to visit family so we'll probably sleep in, open our gifts to each other,  listen to christmas music, call family and just enjoy the day together. We're planning on having a nice meal (beef, mashed potatoes, carrot casserole, and apple pie) on Christmas eve. Just a nice simple day.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2011 at 5:57pm

my Christmas seems to be a chinese thing. everywhere i've gone it's always been a potluck held at someone's house or at church (my parent's are religious). tons of rice and dumplings  Wink

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2011 at 8:08pm

We head out to the midwest where our grandmas are, our cousins come, and we all just hang out and joke. Food and sarcasm galore.
Oh, and presents.

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #7 - Dec 22nd, 2011 at 8:48pm

I had great times during Christmas when I was a kid.
All the family was reunited, usually at my house. Mom has 2 sisters, dad has a brother. I've got 6 cousins, plus a grandmother.
So the total of people was 10.
But this number was variable: parents could came from Umbria, Friuli and Sicily regions, and, since I live in a small condominium, my neighbours often came to eat something or play cards.
This also happened on Epiphany (ehy, Ulrica! it's typical here to put sweets in sockets the 8th of January!), New Year's Eve and Easter (holidays in Italy last long  Cheesy ).
I remember my mom and her sisters cooking and impaste "tortellini", a typical kind of pasta which is to be eaten with soup. I also remember endless discussions because I didn't want them to put cheese in my soup!  Shocked And the most rebel of my cousins was always by my side  Grin
I then remember long hours spent playing with Legos or a card game called "Il mercante in fiera", and then the Tombola, Italian bingo. At midnight we exchanged gifts, and during the following 2 or 3 days my house was open for the relatives and other hosts.
Then years passed quickly, bad things happened in my life, and I am now not very prone to celebrate anything that has something to do with a merciful God, which has proven not to be so merciful to me and my family.
Christmas, as well as almost everything that has nothing to do with everyday's life, has lost all the magic it had when I was in my childhood.
That's why I'm not going to celebrate Christmas, even if I'm very happy if you find pleasure in doing so, and that's why I wish you all (and your families, of course!) to have the most wonderful Christmas one can imagine!!  Cheesy
Merry Christmas everybody!
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #8 - Dec 23rd, 2011 at 12:14am

It´s nice to read, that christmas is a family-gathering-holiday. Smiley

@ Mauro: Sorry to read that your christmas magic is gone.  Cry
              And, I didn´t know that Tortellini was sopposed to be eaten with soup.
              I learn something new almost everyday Smiley

@ Perpetualstudent: that sounds lovely. Then you also can start your own christmas-habits Smiley

@ Dan: Here I guess most people more or less forget the groundreason why we have christmas.

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #9 - Dec 23rd, 2011 at 1:30pm

Hey, Dan, not to take anything away from Christmas, but the sacrifice is commemorated on Easter.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Dec 23rd, 2011 at 2:50pm

Christmas gift suggestions:

To your enemy, forgiveness.
    To an opponent, tolerance.
    To a friend, your heart.
    To a customer, service.
    To all, charity.
    To every child, a good example.
    To yourself, respect.

- Oren Arnold

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Dec 24th, 2011 at 9:02am

HurlinThom wrote on Dec 23rd, 2011 at 1:30pm:
Hey, Dan, not to take anything away from Christmas, but the sacrifice is commemorated on Easter.

Yes, you are correct. Remember though the moment Christ came down and humbled himself in the form of man he was laying down his life for the sins of many. His Birth is commemorated on Christmas, you are correct, but it's the sacrifice He paid for us that makes his birth worthy of commending.

Oh, and to add a little detail to my Christmas, my family always goes to the 8:00 Christmas eve service, and my mom makes cinamon buns Christmas morning after the gift exchange.

Merry Christmas!

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #12 - Dec 24th, 2011 at 10:27am

Well, I will be working tonight and tomorrow night. I expect to spend a few hours with my family before I go in. We are going to have some food at the hospital which should be nice as our staff comes from all over the world and they usually make some dish from their country. I,ll bring in an apple pie. Christmas eve and Christmas night are usually pretty slow except for the usual drunks and MVAs.The day after Christmas, things start getting busy again as people come in with food poisoning from eating undercooked turkey, etc. To all my brothers and sisters on Slinging.org, have a safe and happy Christmas.              John Walker (Bigkahuna)

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #13 - Dec 24th, 2011 at 11:25am

My family has built up a pretty involved Christmas tradition over the years. The tree goes up on the day after thanksgiving, we decorate it over the period of a week. About half of the decorations are little glass bauble that my parents collected before they met each other, but the other half a crafts that my sister and I made as children which have stubbornly refused to fall apart. When my sister and I were younger the tree would only have a few presents for us under it before the big day, with most of our gifts appearing overnight on Christmas thanks to a jolly, rotund man with a beard. (Funny how Santa Claus looks like my dad!) Now that there are fewer small Children around, Santa only brings 1 smaller gift now and our extended family have taken up the slack. Santa does still visit and will for a long time, because my mentally challenged aunt lives with us and she'll never lose her faith in the ability of flying reindeer to get Saint Nick to where he needs to go. On Christmas eve we go to a 5 pm Church service filled with singing and celebration with a special candle lighting ceremony to symbolically represent the "Light of Christ" coming into the world with the candles being blown out at the end of the service to foreshadow Easter, when we mourn for Christ's death. Afterward we come home and have an Italian feast with homemade pasta, homemade red sauce, homemade meatballs, and fresh baked bread spread with either olive oil and black pepper or garlic butter. Neither the olive oil nor the garlic butter are home pressed or churned. Wink Christmas morning when we get up our stockings have been filled with fruits, candies, and... toothbrushes (along with each of our small gifts from Santa.) Until breakfast is over no one is allowed to touch the presents under the Christmas tree, but the stockings are fair game thankfully. The wait for momma to wake up and make our traditional loaf of monkey bread used to be agonizing. I wouldn't give up that sticky-sweet breakfast for anything, though. After eating, the youngest person in the house gets to arrange the presents in a ring in the living room separated by recipient although there is still one or two people still asleep that we have to wait on. Once everyone is finally awake we take turns opening presents one at a time starting with the youngest person and moving clockwise around the circle, all the while ignoring the Peanuts Christmas special playing on TV. Then we finish the celebrations with the annual hunt for batteries... until next year.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #14 - Dec 24th, 2011 at 11:31am

Merry Christmas to one and all!

We're spending Christmas in family as usual,in peace among the family members,treating each other like we should all year round. Making walnut and homegrown poppy seed beigle (?) and the traditional foods around here. That's about it,briefly.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)