Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Your EDC Knife (Read 25715 times)
bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Re: Your EDC Knife
Reply #30 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 9:46pm

Now for my $.02. I carry a ZT301. Not a particularly small knife, but one that I really like. I carry it for emergencies. This covers a pretty wide range, whether it be cutting a seat belt or cutting through someones clothes to start an IV, of as a last ditch defensive option, or maybe to see if my grilled steak is done enough. My knife is both tool and weapon depending on how it is deployed. I wanted one strong enough to be used for anything that might be necessary. This knife does just that. It is with me 24/7. The only time I don't carry it is when I travel outside the country. then I usually carry a Spyderco Endura as is is lighter and slimmer.
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2011 at 12:35am by bigkahuna »  

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #31 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 10:27pm

bigkahuna wrote on Nov 21st, 2011 at 9:46pm:
Now for my $.02. I carry a ZT301. Not a particularly small knife, but one that I really like. I carry it for emergencies. This covers a pretty wide range, whether it be cutting a seat belt or cutting through someones clothes to start an IV, of as a last ditch defensive option, or maybe to see if my grilled steak is done enough. My knife is both tool and weapon depending on how it is deployed. I wanted one strong enough to be used for anything that might be necessary. This knife does just that. It is with me 24/7. The only time I don't carry it is when I travel outside the counry. then I usually carry a Spyderco Endura as is is lighter and slimmer.

how heavy/ large is it? i haven't looked at the zt301 but with the majority of Zero Tolerance knives... it must be a tank.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #32 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 11:24pm

The ZT301 is a assisted opening knife 4.25 inches long, weighting in at 8.6 ozs. It has a S30V steel blade with Tungsten DLC coating (with Tiger stripes). It's a handful.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #33 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 12:13am

bigkahuna wrote on Nov 21st, 2011 at 11:24pm:
The ZT301 is a assisted opening knife 4.25 inches long, weighting in at 8.6 ozs. It has a S30V steel blade with Tungsten DLC coating (with Tiger stripes). It's a handful.

and you can carry this?

i guess i'm just a small person, that big of a knife for me would be too big for me to carry without normal people noticing a big ass chunk of tac steel sticking out of my pocket.  Smiley

my own EDC  pocket knife is around 4 inches long folded, one 3 inch blade and a 1inch smaller blade. it's a slipjoint with only a single liner, extremely thin and nice but a little too expensive and would be a pain to lose Sad

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #34 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 3:13am

It is a big chunk of metal to tote around, but I carry so much other crap in my pockets that I rarely notice it. The blade is 4.25 inches. Open, the knife is almost 9 inches long. With the assisted opening it sounds like someone racking a shotgun. Not subtle! Wink

John Walker  
IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #35 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 7:29am

I carry a Boker Gnome.  Here is an interesting video about it,   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUT7CIsm3Mw

I made a paracord necklace for it and wear it whenever I leave the house. Its main functions are normally limited to opening boxes/mail, but yesterday I cut a cigar with it and also used it in preparing dinner.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #36 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 8:20am

bigkahuna wrote on Nov 22nd, 2011 at 3:13am:
It is a big chunk of metal to tote around, but I carry so much other crap in my pockets that I rarely notice it. The blade is 4.25 inches. Open, the knife is almost 9 inches long. With the assisted opening it sounds like someone racking a shotgun. Not subtle! Wink

Yeah I carry the CS Spartan and it has the "pocket snag" so if you pull it out of your pocket quickly it snaps open. Discussing this feature wit other guys they actually say it more intimidating than my fixed blade tanto in some ways. The blade and handle profile helps with that too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kymcirr0VKM

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #37 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 3:46pm

# Dan, the Spartan is way über-cool and should be the right tool for the job if you ever get in a that`s not a knife, THIS is a knife situation. Wink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4

# ilovepancakes, that Gnome was really nice.  Fortunately, I have many knives filling that niche laying about, so I don`t even want that one (I`ll just repeat this for myself as often as i has to....guess I`ll believe it...).
Smiley
timann

#edited to add video link.
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2011 at 2:55pm by timann »  

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #38 - Nov 27th, 2011 at 12:34am

How does he sit down with THAT stuck in his pants??? Shocked

John Walker  
IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #39 - Nov 27th, 2011 at 7:18am

bigkahuna wrote on Nov 27th, 2011 at 12:34am:

Hey, have you never heard of the "Crocodile Dundee carry".  Knife diagonally across the back, tip by left shoulder blade, handle by right hip (or opposite).  Works perfect for big knives, in the movies.

In reality, well...good luck.  If you bend forward those behind you will see a clear imprint of the knife.  It would be easy to pull the knife out.  As we speak big knives here it might in fact fall out by its own weight unless the sheath is perfectly suited to the task.
Putting the knife back might be a little tricky, if done slow and carefully only damage to the clothing and sheath is to be expected, done in hurry a kidney will likely be stabbed.
timann

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #40 - Nov 27th, 2011 at 12:12pm

My EDC is Dad's old knife.  It's an ancient folding knife with a blade around 4".  It's got a bone handle.  There's part of a name or something on the blade, but it's been sharpened so many times over so many decades that the writing is mostly honed off.  Dad already had the knife for many years before I was born.  I have no idea how old it is and Dad's been gone for 13 years now so I can't ask him.  It's got to be at least sixty or seventy years, probably more.  It's a good old knife.. it holds an edge and is a good, sensible size for carrying around.  The only down side is that I'm very afraid of loosing it.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #41 - Nov 27th, 2011 at 2:29pm

So, Rat Man, both your father and you has used this knife, year after year, and neither of you has either thrown it, pryed with it, or used it as a screwdriver.  Only used it for its intended purpose, and sharpened it in a sensible way.   Makes me happy to hear this.

I have some old heirloom knives from relatives, many of which has broken tips, and for the folders, loose joints from prying and twisting Angry.
I can only hope that at least the damage on some of the knives was done after the original owner was gone, but before the knife fell into my hands. 
A surprisingly large number of people (I know several myself) will look at a loose screw, or a can of paint which need to be opened, and think something like; fathers/grandfaters/grandmothers/uncles/brothers old knife can fix this.... Shocked
Later they may give the sad remains of the knife to a member of the family when they learn he collect (hoard)  knives.
timann

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #42 - Nov 27th, 2011 at 3:50pm

Hey share a picture!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #43 - Nov 27th, 2011 at 4:01pm

timann wrote on Nov 27th, 2011 at 7:18am:
bigkahuna wrote on Nov 27th, 2011 at 12:34am:

Hey, have you never heard of the "Crocodile Dundee carry".  Knife diagonally across the back, tip by left shoulder blade, handle by right hip (or opposite).  Works perfect for big knives, in the movies.

In reality, well...good luck.  If you bend forward those behind you will see a clear imprint of the knife.  It would be easy to pull the knife out.  As we speak big knives here it might in fact fall out by its own weight unless the sheath is perfectly suited to the task.
Putting the knife back might be a little tricky, if done slow and carefully only damage to the clothing and sheath is to be expected, done in hurry a kidney will likely be stabbed.
timann

nah, i can carry pretty big things in my pockets and be totally fine (i have a 4.5in smartphone, and that fits fine), and in my other pockets a whole mishmash of duct tape, cord, keys, etc. the spartan probably come with the standard CS clip- tight and strong so it should be pretty stable in the pocket.

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

me2
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #44 - Dec 3rd, 2011 at 10:27am

Griptillain HG with hole opening or Spyderco Delica Generation 4.  Sometimes I use a Byrd Cara Cara w/ G10 handles.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)