Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Your EDC Knife (Read 25932 times)
kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Re: Your EDC Knife
Reply #15 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 5:46am

Well, if you know that much about knife fighting (apparently you regard carrying a fancy expensive knife as a criterium Roll Eyes) you would know a knife is a very poor choice for a self defense weapon. Little stopping power short of actually killing your opponent. Drawing one is a fine way to escalate a dangerous situation that could have been defused.
And what kind of opponents did you have in mind? Unarmed brawlers (you ´ll end up in prison, might even be on murder charges) other knife fighters (you´ll certainly end up cut maybe dead) people armed with guns (you know what they say about taking a knife to a gun fight...)?
Of course it is a great weapon for murdering an unsuspecting unarmed person....But that is more of an assassin thing, probably not what you had in mind.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #16 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 7:26am

Whoa, kuggur.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #17 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 9:29am

Opinel #6 or a sailing rigers knife(1/2 serrated,  1/2 plain, marlinedplke, blunt tip, shackle wrench,folder)

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 1:02pm

Whoa indeed Masia Wink
May have come down somewhat heavy, but I am interested for what kind of scenario people think they need a knife for actual fighting in their daily life. Who knows, it´s an international forum, maybe they live in a Mexican slum or something.....

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #19 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 1:39pm

While I disagree with Kruggur on many points I don't on this one.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #20 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 1:46pm

I have been threated with knives 2 times; during the first my opponent was another Italian with different political views than mines, and the 2nd time my opponent was a Moroccan guy. They both were drunk.
During another brawl my opponent had a brench; luckily I've never been wounded by these weapons but I once saw a stabbed guy and I can tell you the blood ran like rain, and it is not a nice thing to see.
I also saw beer bottles being used as blowing/throwing weapons, and these are quite effective, too.
Not to mention cobblestones, but I'm running OT now.
Peace  Smiley
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #21 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 1:54pm

Many people carry knives as tools.  It is possible to use it as a last ditch self defence tool.  It is also possible to carry a dedicated knife for self defence, though  there is clearly more than one opinion about this.  
I asume it would be better to defend yourself with a tool you use every day than a tool you in fact never use for real until you need it.
BUT feeling a need for carrying a dedicated knife every day for knife fighting, now that`s another story.  Guess it would be done in environment with a lot of knife fighters which regularly engage each others in knife fights.

Dan, sorry, I did not mean to laugh of you, but you lowered your guard in such a way I had to pounce.  Scandinavian sense of humor, you know.
timann

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #22 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 4:33pm

A knife could be a useful LAST RESORT defense weapon.  I prefer a good, stout walking stick.  It has reach plus it's possible to render your opponent helpless without killing him.  A few years ago I was attacked by a prowler and used a small (like for little kids)  aluminum bat to defend myself with.  You woudn't believe the legal mess.  This was a prowler, on my property, that started the incident by attacking me.  I guess the law wanted me to let him kill me or my daughter.  I can only imagine the mess I would have been in had I used a knife.  I'd probably be in prison right now.  If you ever use a knife to defend yourself make SURE that you are 100%  covered, like with many friendly witnesses and no other possible option.  Even this won't be enough to save you from being arrested and a lengthy, expensive, mentally draining, life disrupting court proceeding. 
   BTW, the prowler killed himself prior to this going to court so everything was dropped.  Nice story... the moral... the law frowns on you using any weapon to defend yourself, apparently regardless of the situation.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #23 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 4:48pm

As a police officer, that's exactly the role of my "carry" knife.    I carry the K-Bar "TDI" weak-side, and the primary scenario you can see this for is the "gun-grab" where a suspect is trying to strip you of your weapon.   (these things happen... Guards have seen felons in prison practicing moves)

Hold onto the holstered weapon with the strong hand and draw the knife with the other.   

How often might this happen?  Not very.    A few years ago, an article in Police Chief magazine indicated that though police officers almost universally carry knives, they had been unable to find a single case where anyone actually used one in anger.
Since then, there have been two such incidents that I'm aware of and in both the weapon performed as intended.

I've used my big CS Recon many times on duty... Almost always for rescue/first aid situations or simple chores like unpackaging items at the station.

I've cut seat belts, cut away clothing, that sort of thing.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #24 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 10:05pm

"if one of is to be tried, and one to be buried, I will be the one that is tried" ~ El Fego Baca

It really depends on how you approach self defense and fighting. Waving a knife around is (in my opinion) a horrible way to de-escalate a situation, but in a self defense situation killing the other person is very much on the table. Not over money. Not over pride. Not if running the hell away is a possibility. But if there is no option but self defense, using a knife (as opposed to brandishing a knife) may well save you or a loved one's life. There's an important difference between wearing a weapon and carrying a tool/weapon to use in an appropriate situation.

As an aside, a stout stick or a baseball bat can also easily kill a man. the difference between knocking someone out and killing them is not as clear cut as TV would have you believe. The human body is both more resilient and more fragile than we often realize.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #25 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 7:28am

perpetualstudent wrote on Nov 20th, 2011 at 10:05pm:
"if one of is to be tried, and one to be buried, I will be the one that is tried" ~ El Fego Baca

As an aside, a stout stick or a baseball bat can also easily kill a man. the difference between knocking someone out and killing them is not as clear cut as TV would have you believe. The human body is both more resilient and more fragile than we often realize.

True, you can kill someone with a bat or walking stick, but you are much less likely to do so accidentally than you would be when using a knife.  As a former MP I was trained how to use a black jack without causing lethal or even permanent damage.  If you avoid head shots, or strikes to the joints and organs (like a kidney strike) you can subdue someone with minimal damage.  I'm not talking out my butt.. it's something I've done on numerous occasions as an MP.  It's also how I handled the prowler.  I could have easily smashed his skull if I wanted to, but as it was he suffered only minor injuries.  Had I used a knife to defend myself I'm sure the resluts would have been very different.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 8:14am

A dull knife is terrible for fighting(I call it fighting but reallly mean SD, not like dueling in regular life). So I, and most that study knife fighting carry one that isn't really for utility use just for those really bad occasions. Most Fri and Sat are usually at home  Wink often with my best friend, saturday was pretty much spent raking leaves, making self bows, and slinging. That's pretty typical for the days I don't spend partying.  Smiley

(jk for those without a sence of humor)

Thank God I have never had the occasion to have to use my SD knife, but if the need arises the saying "better to be judged by 6 than carried by 12" comes to mind.

I have been studying knife fighting for 4 years and Kenpo for 8 years and thankfully have never had the occasion have to use them (I am pretty good a cooling down a controversy, if I need to)

You can use a knife nonlethaly btw, if you read the armed citezen in The Rifleman (NRA magazine) you probably know that most gunshot victims no longer feel like commiting crimes with a hole in them and run away and are ususally picked up by the nearest hospital.  
As for using one for self defence I really wouldn't use it unless I really had to, I can use just my hands pretty well unless there were just too many or they had guns in which case the knife would be a force multiplier. 90% of the casses (99% involving common thugs) where a knife is pulled by the defendant the other guy runs away. Thugs look for victims, not guys yelling at them with a fighting knife. I read an account on Cold Steel forums of a guy who pretty much had just that happen too them he had 5 or so (pridefull) guys come up to him and his wife wanting to fight (him) he pulled his knife out (not planning on fighting) and well, they no longer felt the need to fight.

My fighting knife is for last resort, as I can probably do what I need to with my hands, but it's nice to have a last resort.

We haven't had a good thread on knife fighting for a while, this should be fun.

Last thing, here is a great soruce for an over view of SD knife fighting. This along with practice will really increase you chances of surrvivasl in really bad odds. (watch video) http://www.coldsteel.com/warriorsedge.html  parents got me this a few Christmases ago, best dvd out threre on knife SD.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #27 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 9:52am

@ Ratman
I did not mean to imply that you were  Embarrassed I just see a lot of misunderstanding of using blackjacks/bats/sticks etc, there seems to be a widespread belief that these are non deadly weapons, when what matters is how you use them. Also it's just the way I approach this subject, by the time I would be using a weapon (because of my limited training), I'm not going to try to subdue with minimal damage. I'm too untrained to attempt that. If you've got the training though, they are less deadly and arguably more useful.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #28 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 10:08am

back to the original question.....

I carry a gerber multi tool 600, though almost never use the blade.

But my main edc knife for the last 18 months has been my mantis buzzard.
Just the best engineered and made tool I think I've ever owned - even better made than the gerber.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 6:38pm

That´s a nifty little gadget CA.
I carry a leatherman fuse everyday, it´s my "salon tool" (and like you with your gerber I seldom use the blade), when I am wearing my farm clothing I carry one of my many mora´s, for the real cutting jobs, opening round hay bales, cutting rope etc.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris)