Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Your EDC Knife (Read 25707 times)
fletch_man

When the Guns are Gone

Your EDC Knife
Nov 18th, 2011 at 12:29pm

Based on Little's question about the Bowie Knife, what does everybody carry on a daily basis and why?

I carry 2 Benchmade folders.  This is everyday, everywhere.  No matter if I'm hiking, camping, whatever.  I did 4 tours in the desert as a contractor and carried the same set-up there.  I like the blades to be 3.5 in but not more than 4.  Single edge with not too thick a spine.  I like the 50/50 edges because I cut a lot of fibrous material (Those Slings, you know).  I like the Griptilians with the holes not the thumb studs.  I love the axis locks, strong and reliable.  I keep them very sharp all the time touching them up on a daily basis sometimes.  I like good stainless, 154CM, BG42, S30V, etc, but don't care about coatings or non-reflective blades.  The valox type handles are very light making them easy to carry.  I'm interested in hearing about what you carry as well.

I am not The Word&&   I am the parchment on which&&      The Word is written

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Your EDC Knife
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 12:55pm

SOG Access Card 2.0 and either a SwissTool or ToolLogic card in my wallet, Utilikey on my keyring, and any of a dozen locking folders in my pocket (the current favorite is a CRKT Hole in One). If I know I have to do any real cutting work I substitute the pocket knife with a 4 to 6 inch fixed blade, but I'm never without the first 3 tools. (Although I'm looking at a Boker Credit Card Knife to replace to SOG.)

Not a day goes by where I don't use 2 out of the 4 knives I carry, even if only the utilikey to tighten a screw on my glasses and the swisstool to open a letter.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Uncle Brian

Slinging Rocks!

New Zealand
Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 1:48pm

Swiss army knife, the one that was issued to Swiss troops mine is dated 1984. I would like the latest one as it has a locking main blade.

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 1:53pm

Any good folding knife/multitool,  assuming its of good quality,  though I dont usually care if it does the job.  I use large knives when hunting or anywhere in the woods,  I favor 7 inch blades more or less;  bowies are one of my favorites  Smiley good for a lil chopping or self defense against angry animals or anything else  Wink

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 2:34pm

I carry a Gerber lock blade with a 3 inch (75mm) blade, 1/2 serrated.  I use it many times daily, for all sorts of things.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 2:57pm

I almost always have a CS Recon I,  been carrying that for years.    When I'm at work, I have a K-Bar "TDI" hideout knife I carry "weak side".

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #6 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 3:28pm

My favorite is an Spyderco Endura (#3, for those who know of these knives).  I like it so well I got a spare one for when my user knife need to go into retirement. 
Back in the old days my favorite carry was a Buck Folding Hunter.  If I need a fixed blade I usually use some mora knife.
timann

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 8:07pm

if i could i would carry some sort of sod buster or something. unfortunately most of my time is spent in school so i can't carry them. nor do i have any knives to carry- i have only one reliable folder that i can legally carry and that happens to be a pretty rare slipjoint from my grandpa (probably 70 years ago). i'm okay with using it, but i'm worried about loosing it.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 9:54pm

leatherman blast in the leather belt pouch....and a no-name frame-lock folder made in china.......found it on the ground one day in colorado.
its 440 stainless , holds an edge well enough, gets really sharp with a few strokes on my steel rod sharpener.
about a 3" blade Wink

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #9 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 6:05am

When I work at the shipyard, we always have a small and simple kife with us. These knives tend to rust quickly because of the intense use near the sea.
If we've got to work underwater, we carry the typical scuba knife, which has to be very sharp because its main purpose is to save us in the case we get caught by vessel's nets.
Plus, last year I've found many EDC knives during our archaeological reconnaissances. 4 or 5, can't remember - since they're nothing of archaeological interest, I took them and now I've got a small collection  Smiley
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 7:50am

I carry knives pretty much all hours of the day. My main knives throuihg most of the year are the CS Spartan (mainly for fighting) and the Smith and Wesson spring assisted Extreme Ops folder for utility.

In the winter when I know I'll be wearing a coat the whole time I prefer to carry my CS Recon Tanto in Sai Mai III as my fighting knife. Cool

And when in the woods my ususal knife is the Mora 746g.

And every once in a while I'll carry my BK11 (becker neck knife) with a long lanyard so I can put my neck and arm through it and it goes underneath my left arm. Easier to conceal, easier to draw, and with a safty pin, it stays in place fine.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 8:07am

You actually carry a knife "mainly for fighting"... Huh

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #12 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 11:51am

Quote:

He is a Cristian boy from USA.  What do we know of how they spend Friday and Saturdy nights... Cheesy
timann

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 12:28pm

timann wrote on Nov 19th, 2011 at 11:51am:
Quote:

He is a Cristian boy from USA.  What do we know of how they spend Friday and Saturdy nights... Cheesy
timann

Grin

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #14 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 9:07pm

Quote:
timann wrote on Nov 19th, 2011 at 11:51am:
Quote:

He is a Cristian boy from USA.  What do we know of how they spend Friday and Saturdy nights... Cheesy
timann

Grin

gah as a moderator i feel like i should be removing this. but it's so funny Grin Grin Grin

however, in america carrying a knife for fighting, assuming you know how to use it (if your carrying more expensive knives then there's a good chance you do, like the CS spartan) isn't too unheard of. tons of dangerous places in america. just gotta make sure your local laws support you.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)