Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
World Standards of Slinging (Read 41977 times)
Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: World Standards of Slinging
Reply #45 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 3:26pm

Morphy:

I must smile a little bit at her joke.

Diane only the centre of the baleric barn is called.

I am sure quite: If she had defeated this aim already several times, they would have divided it with us.

However, I am not certainly best slinger. I do not know at all so easily is balearic is aimed at hitting. Not only once separate several times.

I believe the reasons to avoid the Spanish system are quite different.

Sorry for my opinion.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #46 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 5:52pm

I like RM's take. And the point he made to back it up. My dream competition would be everyone using their own style of sling and their own slinging style. Greek throwers, Byzantine, Apache, Balearic, Fig-8 you name it. All going head to head. How cool would that be? I feel like a kid in a candy store just thinking about going to such a competition...

No sling type offers a significant accuracy advantage over any other. So, as long as the newbies are looked out for like RM said, what is accomplished by limited people's choice on sling, style of throw, length etc? I can almost guarantee if such a competition was set up than all the more experienced slingers would end up creating their own freestyle competition anyways. People won't remain limited forever if it isn't necessary to keep the competition fair. Might as well beat them to it and create it to begin with.

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #47 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 8:37pm

The world standard is for us and our own slinging get togethers.This isn't an attempt by me(or anyone on here,I hope)to dilute the relic for some Olympic event.Having some little squash ball for ammo seems like a lot of work.Why not a piece of rock or whatever that is between this gram and that gram.I don't know the weights,but ya'll do.Let's try to figure out the three most important things.

Again,

1)Target size and

2)Distance

3)Ammo weight

Don't try to tell us what style and how long or what kind of sling.Like everyone has been saying(Yes CA,you included),the slinging crowd is small enough.Most newbies won't be able to use a certain length sling,or a certain TYPE of pouch.

I am trying,

Brett

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #48 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 1:59pm

I agree with a lot here, with special mention; Rat Man and jax Smiley
I`ll throw forth some thoughts here, take it simply as that;
Target size, Id like a balearic type with a central bullseye, wich would at least give a nice aiming point.
When/if I host the first Norwegian slinging competition it will be improvised from cardboard, boards, whatever I can scrounge up Cheesy.

Distance, might be complicated, as 10-15-20-25-30-35-40 meters is all fine slinging distances for such a target but it has to be simplified a bit (10-20-35?).

Ammo weight, must go as low as minimum 50 grams to allow tennis balls (and my favorite-bandy balls (now they could be standard ammo Wink))a nice stone size is around 100 grams but we might need to go higher up to around 200-250 grams as we shouldn`t omit balearic size stones.

Sling lenght and type, and slinging style, hey, we are The Free Slingers, we want to keep as much freedom as we need to have fun with our hobby.
timann

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #49 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 3:41pm

WE have definitly established

1.Baleric style target

2. Whatever style you want to use.

3. Whatever ammo you can get your hands on  Wink

4. Distance? This is really the last issue. Tennis balls really start curving off if you don't have a rifled spin after 25yards or so and for some people even sooner. Also some people who live in more urban areas might not even 30 yards to sling. My suggestion is around 10yards and 20yards or a compromise of 15.

I would really suggest having an open poll on distance in order to find the most common prefered distance for competition

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #50 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 7:54pm

I don't think 1 set distance is going to cut it. There is just too big a difference between different skill levels in slinging.

Maybe 3 different divisions.

Division I- 10-20 meters (3 shots at 10 and 3 shots at 20. Maybe 2 practice shots before the official shots?)

Division II- 20-30 meters (3 shots at each distance, warm up shots etc.)

Division III- 30-40 meters (ditto)

-------------------------

Personally I like Timann's idea for a Balearic target with a smaller bullseye in the middle. You still essentially have the Balearic target. You're just adding a smaller ring for those who have increased their skill to make use of it. If a slinger has become skilled enough to hit such a center ring, he/she should be rewarded for that skill. IMO 1/4th the size of the current center circle of the Balearic target is a good size for a center circle within the original .5 meter circle.

If you make one division for everyone with the current Balearic target and this competition ends up drawing more people to slinging your going to have problems.  The really competitive slingers are going to quickly outstrip the difficulty of the current target/distance and get bored. On the other hand if you simply increase the distance then the newer slingers are going to feel completely overwhelmed at the difficultly. Therefore more divisions are needed.

The point is, that if you actually succeed in making this sport more popular then people, especially teens, are going to throw themselves into it and practice to a degree most of us can hardly imagine right now. But it happens whenever a sport becomes popular. And you need the sport set up that it can easily accommodate such growth in the skill level.

Look how far target archery has come in a relatively short amount of time. These guys are shooting at small bullseyes from 70 meters away and hitting as often as not. You have to look ahead if you're going to set something like this up. If the competition is there people will up their skill level to a degree you can barely imagine now.

--------------

As far as ammo there should be some restrictions on it. Obviously an official competition isn't going to want people to use tomatoes as an ammo. Baseball limits their players to wooden bats to simplify things and keep everything fair. Nothing wrong with doing the same for ammo in a slinging competition. Just seems natural to use stones. They are dense enough to both fly well and also give good feedback as you go into the throw.

Anyways...just some thoughts here.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2011 at 10:15pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #51 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 1:47am

Agreed with Dan and Morphy especially with the divisions.Also i would like to add that the first group\division 10-20m would be suitable for the beginners therefore tennisballs or other safe,standardized ammo could be used.The short distance wouldn't affect the tennis balls too much either. I would consider some sort of qualification test for beginners to get into the next division when your allowed to use rocks.This would eliminate most of the possibilities for accidents to happen.Until one does not prove that he's slinging consistently in front of him,he shouldn't be allowed to sling stones where other people are present.
The balearic target is just fine,although a bulls eye could be added in it's center that would have flipping mechanism with a spring,so the marksman slingers don't get bored of knocking the diana. Cheesy
Sling restrictions is something i'm highly against. Of course if a kid shows up with 2m long sling and he thinks it's funny to spin it helicopter,while everyone is ducking on the rythm of his revolutions,he should be educated Wink

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #52 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 7:02am

competitions between slinging.org members - hell do what you like Smiley
at the end of the day it won't produce anything capable of taking to the outside world - well in 8 years of slinging.org's existence it never has.
That is a completely different discussion.

What I'm talking about is a different form of slinging.

Let's try a different approach.

If you want to learn archery - you contact a local archery club
If you want to learn fencing, or any martial art - you contact or join a local club.

if you want to learn slinging and don't live in the balearic islands of spain - you are completely stuffed. You cannot join anything except this forum and a bunch of youtube videos.

That is my point. And to make it easy to set up a slinging club - the basic competition or learning activity needs to be standardised.
end of story.

It's what the balearics do.
I'm just talking about something with a wider global approach.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #53 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 1:42pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 27th, 2011 at 7:02am:
to make it easy to set up a slinging club - the basic competition or learning activity needs to be standardised.

I have a feeling no one would disagree with this statement. It's the type and amount of standardization that seems to be the sticking point for most people. Just one thing to remember... when speaking about the outside world; keep in mind we are the outside world. This forum is a good representation of the varied backgrounds, ages and goals for your average sling club member. Essentially what would appeal to the average person that would be interested in joining a sling club is probably pretty close to the general consensus of the members on this forum, if for no other reason than we are one and the same. 

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #54 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 5:49pm

Dan wrote on Oct 26th, 2011 at 3:41pm:
WE have definitly established

1.Baleric style target

2. Whatever style you want to use.

3. Whatever ammo you can get your hands on  Wink

4. Distance? This is really the last issue. Tennis balls really start curving off if you don't have a rifled spin after 25yards or so and for some people even sooner. Also some people who live in more urban areas might not even 30 yards to sling. My suggestion is around 10yards and 20yards or a compromise of 15.

I would really suggest having an open poll on distance in order to find the most common prefered distance for competition

See morphy if we only allow rocks then guys like Bill Skinner or anyone else who just doesn't have rocks in the area wouldn't easily be able to compete, and with the number of slingers there are, we definitly want to reel in the largest amount of slingers.

And we can all agree there needs to be some kind of standardidation, heck that's why there's are 4+ pages of repies on this topic.
I think for the more expienced and the newbies a you could just adjust the size of the center dot say  1 1/2' for more expierenced and 2 1/2' for new guys. And It's probably a good idea to iclude the details of your ammo, distance, target, hits, and score. Random Example: 5 hits black, 10 hits white, 5 misses (we should probably also choose how many shots you should take for the score), rocks, 15 yards, advanced target, score 25?

A scoring system should probably also be established, somthing simple like 3 points black, 1 point white, But we can work on that after we get all the other details straight.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #55 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 5:59pm

I also voted 15-20-30 because it was the closest to my ideal option 10-20-30 all simple even numbers would be ideal, the KISS princible really applies here.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #56 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 6:43am

for inter slinging.org comps.
the only things that need to be decided are target and distance.
1 point for square - 2 points for circle. You really cannot get any simpler.

The balearic target can be made from a wide variety of things and setting the distance in units of 10 metres just makes sense.
And that should be the end of it.

That said I suspect that there will be another 8 years of debate - at least - before anyone here agrees on anything Smiley
Cynical ? Nah just been here for 6 years.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #57 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 12:07pm

@CA, Obviously there is nothing wrong with doing both. I hope your slinging venture turns out well. In the end we all benefit from it.

@Dan, I'm in that camp as well. Maybe have a selection of various ammo types. I can't see any real competition allowing people to use whatever ammo they want. Tomatoes? Eggs? Naw... Then you would have the guys that would use perfectly machined steel glandes. All other things being equal, the stone/clay thrower will be at a disadvantage to such perfect ammo especially on longer distance shots.

All of this is just talk though. Realistically I don't know anyone but CA who has any serious designs to make such a competition.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #58 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 2:54pm

Well, I don't know of anyone that slings food on a regular basis and I would think that most people will probably be singing golf balls, tennis balls, rocks, clay glands, squash balls, or maybe lead. The farthest appart are lead and tennis balls but I think the lead guys (which there aren't a whole lot of) would just take a few steps back.

I think as long as everyone records the specifics it won't be a big issue and beside the whole point is just to see how you are coming along compared to others. I was just talking to a guy about how (modern) archery competitions have really degraded, it used to be just fun in the woods and trick shots but now guys are buying the knew ulta light space age compounds and range finders, adjusting their sights for 10 min before they actually take the shot, and it just becomes way to technical.

Let's not make slinging that way, I don't think we could anyway even if we tried because of the general inconsitency sling accuracy. But I think the end reasult is (if I figured this out correctly):

1. Baleric style target (can be made of various material)

2. Any style you prefer.

3. Any sling you prefer.

4. Any reasonable ammo (nothing rocket powered Wink).

5. Distance of 10-20-30 Yards

6. 1 point for hitting the square and 2 points for the circle.

7. Record details about your slinging and score in your post on the Competition thread (has not yet been created).

8. Score is total number of points out of 20 throws, perfect score is 40.    

Competition will be mainly held here on slinging.org but live competitions are encouraged as well, details about longer range slinging and distance throwing can be figured out at a later time.  Wink
If there is anything that's just really wrong here let me know and we can tweek it a bit.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #59 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 3:48pm

5. yards or metres ?

Different lengths.
not much difference one on one - but when you've got 30 all together - the person slinging from 30 yards has a significant advantage over the person slinging from 30 metres.

30 yards = 27.4 metres
30 metres = 32.8 yards

bearing in mind that only the US uses yards. And even then lengths are usually quoted in feet not yards cos it sounds longer.

other than that,  works for me  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, LightSlinger, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)