Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Slinging as a sport
Reply #15 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 12:27pm

Quote:
I would renounce Paracord. One can take this material. However, it has many negative qualities.

Also I would not permit any kind slingens. I hold many so-called styles simply for injurious and also crazy.

guess there'll be two organisations then Smiley

Paracord is a standardised, cheap, durable and universally available cord type.
Hand braided cord varies widely in both performance, size, flexibility and strength.

And restricting throw styles is stupid. Simply becuase you - personally - do no like or cannot use a particularly style does not mean that someone else can't use that style effectively.

For a slinging sport to be taken seriously by modern sport governing bodies. Standardisation of equipment is critical - this can only effectively be done with modern cordage.
You could argue for a standard leather pouch design, but woven pouch slings are always going to have variations due to the individual maker.

Forget historical renactment and wearing costumes. For anyone to create a viable modern slinging sport - you need to embrace both modern standardisation AND modern materials.

Throw styles are personal choice and are in all field sports (it's just that usually one particular style works better than the rest so that's all that is used.)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #16 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 12:53pm

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 4:12pm

One can invent the wheel of course also several times. Do not have to go one, however.

There are very good reasons to renounce on para.
However, this is quite an other subject.

The Balearic Islands are organised very exemplarily.

Their set of rules is a very good basis.

One should not shoot different styles.

With Olympia nobody comes on the idea to throw a spear with a string.

And this although one did it earlier so

To calm. I train absolutely also with very modern devices.

Maybe we see ourselves in Spain. There I can declare it not only but also to point.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #18 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 4:30pm

Woooo... i didn't expect such a reaction  Shocked !

- I don't want to create an historical slinging club. I want to create a sport club. It happens that the first people who said they are interested in it are reenactors Smiley

- I don't like uniforms. So everyday gear seems ok with me. Why not slinging with your tie on ? (Because you have turned it into a sling is a valid answer...)

- I don't like slinging 250gr either, even with a basic underarm. JRB can be standardized, but mass production may be a bit tricky, no ?
Plus, we have to take the easily frightened administration to keep in check. Tennis ball are soft but not so great, golf ball are classier but too hard, Lacrosse... is unknown here, so out of scope ^^ I think we can still go for JRB

- I like (for once ^^ ) the DIY side of the slinging world, so i guess I will accept any kind of sling for the training sessions... but only standardized one for competition.
Are the safety belt standards international ? because Old australian post conveyor belt may be quite hard to find in worldwide quantity...

- The colors to show the level of the student is a recognized good idea. But the uniform is not a good idea... So why not using different color for the sling cords ?

I'm OK with not re-inventing lukewarm water, but if we have round trunk as wheels, how about using only 2 slices of it for the car ?  Smiley
About the differents style, in the Olympic High-Jump, nothing prevent you from using other jump style than Fosbury...

And of course, all the safety rules will be drilled before any shot ^^

Quote:
If there's anything I or slinging.org can do to help, please let me know.  

Outside of the balearics slinging.org is the closest thing to a worldwide organisation that exists.  
Maybe we could contact your city officials to give you a boost ?  
Anyway good luck and like I said - anything we can do - just ask

If we can set an "official" standard for a modern sport in the sticky, it would be a huge help, to be able to show the official that I'm not just wasting their time but that it is a serious project. Smiley

And I'm still asking :
Where do you think i may find people ???
Or : Where would you look for hidden slingers (adults one, it is complicated to have an agreement to teach kids ^^ )

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #19 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 5:13pm

Ah,that's the real tricky part,where to find slingers..Well,it's up to you to make them!Family,neighbors,friends,co-workers and anyone who sees you slinging,those are your likely candidates.I am a skate boarder,so I tend to enlist slingers at skate sessions.People see what you're up to and they want to participate.If you think they are fairly responsible,give them a sling or a lesson or both.

Good luck,

Brett

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

tropicalslinger
Tiro

Hawaii
Reply #20 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 5:16pm

Why not just have different colored belts for the students or competitors to wear, after the fashion of jiujutsu and other sport/martial arts? Just simple tie-on belts--actually they could be Asian martial arts style belts, or if those were hard to obtain or you wanted something unique looking, they could be just sashes made out of strips of colored cloth. They could be cheaper, more compact, and easier to distribute than T shirts, and would have the advantage of being similar to systems that people are already familiar with.

IP Logged

etenil
Tiro

Just slinging

London, UK
Reply #21 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 4:57am

Just my two cents.

* Make practitionners wear protective helmets
* Standardise the slinging court, with protective nets and so on (for the public)

etenil  
IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 9:05am

tropicalslinger wrote on Oct 9th, 2011 at 5:16pm:
Why not just have different colored belts for the students or competitors to wear, after the fashion of jiujutsu and other sport/martial arts? Just simple tie-on belts--actually they could be Asian martial arts style belts, or if those were hard to obtain or you wanted something unique looking, they could be just sashes made out of strips of colored cloth. They could be cheaper, more compact, and easier to distribute than T shirts, and would have the advantage of being similar to systems that people are already familiar with.  

I know that msot new slingers don't really have consistent days. Meaning some have days wher on the first shot the hit the target other days they can't even get the rock to go towards the target. Also belts add a certain level of competitiveness and pride (the bad kind) that you are better. In my 8 years of martial arts expierence, I have found the competitveness of Belts to actually be a bad thing cause they are more worried about belts than what they are actually doing (most schools in the US actually work the "get the next belt" attitude, the kind with 10 year old black belts, we call them belt factories). As a martial arts insrtuctor, a little known secret, we just use the belts so that when we are teaching we know how far along the students are and how advanced we can teach.

Though I would think it might be a good idea (once you get enough people)to buy a few slinging t shirts for people to wear as kind of a uniform and if they wear them around town it is free advertising and people might ask about it and try slinging themselfs.

Anyway maybe get on another local outdoors forum and announce that you would be interested in starting a slinging group and then explain how awesome the sling is.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #23 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 9:41am

Hi, Caldou;
  I like your idea.  Your biggest problem will be generating interest, which is why many of us don't start a slinging club.  By instituting a lot of restrictive rules you're only going to hurt yourself.  I can see using a standard target and standard distances.  All of the other rules are superfluous, and will only cost you members.  Some might like a 24" sling, I prefer 38".  Some might like to sling tennis balls; I sling stones.  Some might want only sisal slings to be used. I don't care for sisal all that much.  Some might like Balearic style, some Underhand, some Byzantine, etc., etc., etc...   Don't make a bunch of oppressive rules that will omit perspective members that you're going to have a hard enough time attracting as it is.  
  Good luck and please keep us posted.
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2012 at 8:16pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #24 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 9:49am

As far as where to find members, I've turned dozens of people on to slinging.  These are mostly neighbors who have observed me slinging at various locations as I walk my two Huskies.  They come up to me and ask about it.  I'm sure to always have an "extra" sling to give them.  I'll coach them on their first few shots, tell them about slinging.org,  then leave them to their fun.  I think doing something similar would be a good way for you attract members to your club.  Have a flyer (advertisement) drawn up and hand them out with free slings.  They don't have to be elaborate slings, just safe (not sloppily made; no sling is really safe) ones that work, like a medical tape pouch sling or something easy to make like that.  Attracting members will be the hardest part of your plan. Your English is very good, BTW.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #25 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 3:33am

So I would use my double- oder triple-barrelled slings.  Smiley

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #26 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 5:30pm

That would surely be impressive to a newbie, Fundibularius.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #27 - Oct 14th, 2011 at 2:37am

Perhaps even frightening to one veteran or the other.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #28 - Nov 30th, 2011 at 3:01pm

Some update on this project :

First slinging lesson on saturday... Stage Fright is showing its pointy nose and smelly feet !

I have some basic target, equivalent of the Balearic's diana (I will try to take a picture ! ), I have slings, I have safe ammo...

It will be in the little piece of forest we have in my city and the "students" have some idea of how to use a sling.

So it should be a good time, unless it rains  Roll Eyes

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #29 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 9:11am

Now, I appear to have another question :

With my brand new slinging association (paperwork is to be signed this evening ^^), I'm planning to go and participate in some "fantastic fantastic" festival.
Where I will of course demonstrate the sling and let people try to reach the target(s) (my diana sized one and maybe a big bear plushie, should be funnier). So the question is, for all those of you who did participate in such an event : What about the safety mesures ? Tennis ball, ok, shorts slings since its easier to manage, ok but what about the distances ? 10 and 20 meters from the targets but with a net behind and on the sides ? how much space on each side ? and behind ?

In fact, the real question is : how far have you - or one of the student - slung backward ? Grin

And over 2 days, how many slings whould I be ready to give out ? (or sell maybe ? for cheap since it would be some quickly made Smiley )
I guess it depends on the number of people coming to this event...

Thanks ! ^^

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, LightSlinger)