Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pictures of 16th Century sling/staff sling. (Read 4752 times)
Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Pictures of 16th Century sling/staff sling.
Sep 7th, 2011 at 5:30am

I knew I had them somewhere, and cuallaidh's posts about his wonderful works made me remember them.
Here they are, shots taken at San Marino's Museum of Curiosity, in Early 2008.
Sorry for the bad quality, but I was not in for slinging these days  Smiley
These may be original from 16th Century, for that the museum had a large stock of that era stuff, such as perfectly preserved shoes, and other weapons from Far East.

The (staff?) sling.

Another staff sling and its caption.

Hope these will be of some use here  Smiley
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Pictures of 16th Century sling/staff sling.
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 6:46am

Good stuff, Mauro.  Very interesting.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 6:58am

cool - just don't be tempted to use that staff sling - some serious woodworm infestation Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 7:08am

Ahahaha yes just imagine the consequences  Grin
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 7:17am

If this is a real C16th staff-sling, I mean not a reconstruction or a restored one-- we have an example of a working weapon ! We need the dimensions to make a modern reconstruction, and test it !

Why not offer your services to the museum-- and publicize this ?

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 7:27am

Hey, that's an idea!
Unfortunately, the Museum is not in Italy... it's in the Republic of San Marino, the oldest European Republic, which is a very tiny Nation between my Region and the Region Emilia Romagna... about 100 kms North of my town.
I don't know if this may be an impediment, but I was already planning to send my CV through Europe (we archaeologists are mistreated here in Italy) as soon as I'd get my laurea, so why shouldn't I try with the small Republic of San Marino too?  Smiley
Plus, that Nation rely almost exclusively on tourism, therefore they may be forward-looking enough to guess the financial capacity of experimental archaeology (when not used as a pure scientifical method).
Many thanks!
Greetings,
Mauro.

PS
I'll look for its dimensions as soon as I'll return there  Wink
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 8:23am

I would have thought a working reconstruction as part of a workshop (Jaegoor slings water balloons) would be a great tourism attractor !

IP Logged

cuallaidh
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

London, ON, Canada
Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 8:24am

That's cool. I'd be interested to know if its a reproduction as well. Its very nice though Cheesy

I can play at Tafl,&&Nine skills I know,&&Rarely forget I the runes,&&I know of books and smithing,&&I know how to slide on skis,&&Shoot and row, well enough;&&Each of two arts I know,&&Harp-playing and speaking poetry.
IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 9:03am

Well, I don't really know if those are reproductions, I didn't put too much attention on this at that time.
Judging by the pictures, those slings seem to be quite aged, but I don't think those are 500 years old.
Should wood, cordage and leather have mantained so well, that would be a miracle, considering Italian's typical soil.
On the other side, we've got archaeological sites that have given un 5000 years old cordage.
Plus, we don't know how did these slings eventually get to the Museum, because there was nothing explaining their lives (where they part of a collection? Or what?). Finally, as I said, the Museum stores many other items, whose originality has proven.
And, by the way, no slingers have been documented in Central Italy in the past, say, 200 years, nor anybody that I know of has ever shown some interest in this weapon, so who created those slings and put them there?

Perhaps it will be of some help to know that the Republic of San Marino is a tiny Nation created around 3 Rennaissance Age fortresses, built on earlier Medieval castles. Those fortresses having never been conquered, it may be that the slings were part of the garrison's equipment, and that they have been conserved during the years as trophys of a past power.
Such a behavior is documented in my town, in which many Medieval ballistas and crossbows, and galleys parts, were stored until the Church conquest (so they lasted at least 200 years), and in the nearby town of Osimo, in which a 15th Century cannon, one of the first in the Region made out of iron, is still conserved.

Still, take these statements only as suppositions, for I don't know the true history of these slings.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 9:22am

Could have been part of the arsenals. Jaegoor a while ago posted a link to some fresco from ca. 1500 from Friul, I think, where a staff sling clearly appears.

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1259158805/26#26

IP Logged

cuallaidh
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

London, ON, Canada
Reply #10 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 9:41am

Thearos wrote on Sep 7th, 2011 at 9:22am:
Could have been part of the arsenals. Jaegoor a while ago posted a link to some fresco from ca. 1500 from Friul, I think, where a staff sling clearly appears.

That's the exact picture I used to document my staff sling, and the release mechanism.

Mauro: I suspect they are reproductions, but yes it is entirely plausible that they were kept in good repair part of the garrison's equipment. The museum would know its history I would presume.

I can play at Tafl,&&Nine skills I know,&&Rarely forget I the runes,&&I know of books and smithing,&&I know how to slide on skis,&&Shoot and row, well enough;&&Each of two arts I know,&&Harp-playing and speaking poetry.
IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #11 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 10:16am

Thearos wrote on Sep 7th, 2011 at 9:22am:

Very good point. This made me think of another fresco, painted inside the Castle La Manta, near Cuneo (close to Southern France) little after 1420.
It's not a historical documentation, because it depicts King David, but I'm going to post a picture in the proper topic.

By the way, I think another visit to this Museum is needed, and I'll provide as soon as possible.
Unfortunately, I can't remember if there's a catalog that explain the stock, but I'll try to gain as much information as possible  Wink
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)