Send Topic Print
Slinging in the sun (Read 12041 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Slinging in the sun
Reply #30 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 2:18pm

I don't think that anyone who offered you a suggestion feels that  you're a poor slinger.  You asked for constructive criticism and you got it.  It's not like we're saying "I'm better than you."    We're all in the same boat; trying to improve while keeping the fun aspect of it.  The next time it could very well be you giving me a suggestion. 
    And I agree with Morphy.  That was very well put, Yurek.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #31 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 2:24pm

The key things I have found teaching sling classes to groups (four groups so far) are:

Get your hand back, as far back as you can. Those last twelve inches or so can make the difference between a mild delivery and a proper whipping accelerating shot. Before you throw, think 'Back!'

Rotate with the wrist only, like stirring a cup of tea. It needs hardly any effort and only enough speed to keep the sling horizontal. Any more than that gives you less time and pulls your hand around unnecessarily. If you rotate with the whole forearm, from the elbow, then your hand will creep forward and you will lose power.

Start your throw as the sling crosses in front of you. Dont wait for it swing behind you so you have something to 'throw against', this is too late and will only give you a mild delivery. You want your hand to be moving while the sling is 'blind' on the backswing, you will not feel any reaction from the sling at first. You want to get a sudden 'kick in the pouch', a  'surprised' reaction from the sling that yanks back against your throw. This is where the energy transfer happens and the pouch accelerates to high velocity in a fraction of a second.    

Start with your weight on your back foot, with that foot pointing 90 degrees away from the line of aim. This will set up your body sideways on to the target with your throwing shoulder as far back as possible. When you throw, let your weight flow forward onto your front foot, come up of the toe of your back foot a little but you dont need to do more than that for a Helicopter.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #32 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 3:48pm

Thank you. This is getting elaborate.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #33 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 8:11pm

I think one of the reasons I start the throw wrong / too late is that (living in a town) I don't have much occasion for continuous slinging, so a lot of what I do is dry-firing. Aussie pointed out to me a long time ago that dry firing is good for one thing (practising crisp release-- and I need that to, maybe 2% of my shots fouled on release cord), but actually gives bad habits as for sling placement.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #34 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 8:25pm

From Morningstar's advice, I remember this:

do not go "and a one- and a two- and a three- and a throw",

but

"and a one- and a two- and a three-WHANG"

Thanks everyone. Next time I'm going slinging I'm guaranteed to hit myself in the head.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #35 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 6:01am

Thearos wrote on Sep 7th, 2011 at 8:11pm:
I think one of the reasons I start the throw wrong / too late is that (living in a town) I don't have much occasion for continuous slinging, so a lot of what I do is dry-firing. Aussie pointed out to me a long time ago that dry firing is good for one thing (practising crisp release-- and I need that to, maybe 2% of my shots fouled on release cord), but actually gives bad habits as for sling placement.

I sling tennis balls for the very same reason ie. living in a city. I have never had anyone ever complain when I sling in public sports parks (not gardens) and I sling a lot! TB's are relatively poor sling ammo because they're a bit light and don't go far. But in public places that can be an advantage and you don't have to go too far to retrieve them.

Only too happy to send you one or more of my slings which are optimised for slinging tennis balls

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #36 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 6:58am

Thanks, PM sent

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Chris, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)