Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Slinging in the sun (Read 11914 times)
Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Slinging in the sun
Reply #15 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 11:21am

It badly does not look. The way then they commit is right.
Aussi has already said some points.
If I see it right, they shoot a sort of Sidehand.
They can put no rotor with this method well.
If they try it rather from an Overhand.
Thus a linear shot might not be difficult for them.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #16 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 11:42am

Thank you, Jaegoor ! Much appreciated. I tried to follow the very useful advice you gave me a year ago-- or thought I was doing so ! So you say I should try rotor + overhand, which is what you show in your recent video.

May I recommend to my fellow slingers the idea of putting themselves on video, for other slingers to see ? It's like a clinic for advice. You can wear a hood if you don't want your friends to see you.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #17 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 11:49am

I also add that the graffito I was slinging at was mainly white, so hits produced white puffs off the cliff. Very satisfying.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #18 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 1:23pm

Thearos wrote on Sep 6th, 2011 at 11:42am:
May I recommend to my fellow slingers the idea of putting themselves on video, for other slingers to see ? It's like a clinic for advice. You can wear a hood if you don't want your friends to see you.

I've seen your video only today, therefore I congratulate with you! Nice shoots, mine are light years behind!  Smiley

The idea of making videos is great, I'd love to try, I'm going to ask a close friend of mine if she's willing to spare some of her free time filming me  Smiley
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #19 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 1:27pm

Thearos wrote on Sep 6th, 2011 at 11:42am:

I agree Thearos. You never know when some random thing you say or do will be the one tip someone needs at that moment.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #20 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 1:34pm

Thearos,

My two cents. At first glance it is visible that there is a problem with efficient driving/pulling of the sling. It looks a bit like if you chased your sling. Your intense action of the body doesn't give an expected power of the throw. So in this case it really seems to be redundant - such amount of the power you gets you may get with much lower cost.

I think the initial stance and rotations are correct. The problem is in the final stroke. It seems that you start the body rotation to late - that should be started when the sling is over your head. Besides your forearm/palm doesn't trace a fluent spiral-like trajectory - the move is too flat. It looks like the last phase of the throw does almost all job, thus the action of the whole body is wasted.

Summarizing, to late the start of the stroke and not optimal the movement of the forearm - not enough of the driving/pulling force. My advice is to spend some time practicing slowly to feel the tension of the cords during the whole stroke. The initial rotations give the initial tension before the stroke. That one should be just bigger and bigger until the release.

Maybe the movie will help you a bit. The technique is similar to yours. In this case the dynamic body action gives a vibrant shot, so the transfer of the energy is not so bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs-ZfTTNXa4

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #21 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 5:56pm

I know and like that vid very much. In any case, I'm back home now, and have no easy access to a place where I can easily sling 100 nice heavy stones at distances btw. 0 and 50 m without being bothered.

Yurek, I agree with what you say about the final stroke-- will try starting it earlier. The intense body action is what I do in the belief that it helps propel the stone-- but of course, the work is done by careful sling trajectory and geometry. Not so easy !

All this, I think, shows that I have arrived to the limits of "instinctive" slinging. I sling as it feels right, and when I shoot I can hit things and develops soe power-- but clearly not optimally. Filming and criticism by other slingers, at this point, is crucial for improvement. This is in favour of the sporting approach favoured by Jaegoor and others, rather than the cheerful "just sling away" school which I have espoused up to now on this forum.

« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2014 at 6:12pm by Thearos »  

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #22 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 6:23pm

Of course there's nothing wrong with the "cheerful just sling away" approach. None of us sling because we have to, only because we want to. So having fun is the only criterium we have to satisfy.

I am quite impressed by Jaegoor's consistent methodical approach to slinging but I also enjoy the explosiveness of a good Fig.8 with lighter ammo and a good initial step, even if my shoulder suffers for it afterward. My technique may not meet Balearic competition rules but from what I've seen on video I wouldn't be disgraced if I was ever to compete with them.

Anyway, if you're having fun and getting those stones to go where you want them to, then that's what I call success!

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #23 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 7:32pm

We do seem to have developed a particular notion, that of sling lag, chasing the sling-- which I'm not alone in doing, I think. yet another thing to think about while slinging !

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #24 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 1:33am

Don't know if you've seen this but here's a good vid of a very "informal" unstructured style helicopter throw. The slinger not only moves his front foot but walks forward toward the target and steps through the shot as well. Not only that but his preliminary rotations start all over the place, not in a nice even plane over his head; all very naughty. Yet his shot is very effective, accurate and enough power to punch a hole in the sheet steel. Through practise he's developed the feel to know where the pouch is and whre the projectile will go when it's released.

However, notice how the final thrust is not in the same plane but in an overhead sweep with beautiful body and shoulder rotation as well as a very pronounced forward thrust with the elbow, pretty well identical to the final thrust of a good old Fig.8. I'll bet he's not throwing 200 gram stones either, much lighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnvyTFtzdwY

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #25 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 7:01am

It takes a bit of courage and confidence to put yourself out there and say "OK, guys, pick me apart."  I think doing something like this could help almost anyone.  I'll have to get someone to video me for this purpose.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #26 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 7:25am

Yeah-- it's only once I realized "hmm I'm actually slinging a bit better" that I thought to vid myself. Still need a lot of work !

I think either vid, or slinging with someone who observes you and points things out. As I wrote, when I sling I'm trying to hit the target, and I notice only after the shot that I've stepped forward (sometime almost like a petanque player), as I mutter "go" to the stone and grit my teeth when I miss. As soon as i saw the vid on my cmputer screen I realized something was very wrong with the release.

When I slung some of the shots felt good, some of them felt too weak-- but I couldn't realize why sometimes the shot flew well at 50 m, and sometimes went limp at 20m. I now know it's this problem of picking up the slack (Scoteeball slings fig-8 to practice reining in the slack in his golfing).

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #27 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 8:36am

Thearos wrote on Sep 6th, 2011 at 7:32pm:
We do seem to have developed a particular notion, that of sling lag, chasing the sling-- which I'm not alone in doing, I think. yet another thing to think about while slinging !

Thearos,

Looks like too much criticism have been dropped on your head from every where Smiley
It really can be frustrating and take away all joy of slinging. Forgive me if I sounded too critically or condescendingly. English isn't my language so my post are often laconic and raw.

You are right that you not alone in doing the mentioned things, I am sure most slingers including me. 

I know that too many advices and samples can be confusing, so it is not worth to think abut it too much (it doesn't mean that they are all worthless). Slinging as you said is instinctive. Thinking and tips often can help to correct some mistakes indeed but nuances are matter of timing and instinct. In my opinion too analytical approach isn't the best way.

I think the "cheerful just sling away" approach is just the best way to understand/feel efficient throws. When your stones fly farer and farer without an additional effort you are closer and closer to get understanding/feeling how the sling and body should work. Once you get it, you will try to use the feeling, no matter what technique, sling, stone you use or whether you sling for distance or accuracy.

Don't think too much about different steps and other similar details. They can help or obstruct no doubts, but they are subsidiary. Do just what you feel as comfortable natural or essential in a given situation.

I think you know it all. Your technique isn't bad at all but some nuances need to be corrected a bit to make that more efficient.

I know the feeling of my perfect shot (no matter if for accuracy or distance), but my problem is that I can get it way too rarely and I still chase it Cheesy

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #28 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 9:56am

Yurek, I think nailed it.

So long as your having fun you will keep practicing. When your hobby becomes work you will look elsewhere.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #29 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 1:00pm

I don't thik i got any criticism at all, just help.

Will try not to move my feet so much, put rotor further back, and start the throw a bit earlier. Would not have thought of it if I hadn't got so much help.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Kick)