Send Topic Print
New Throwing Style (Read 12488 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

New Throwing Style
Aug 29th, 2011 at 12:43am

www.youtube.com/watch?v=L22o2LWX5tg

Here is a new throwing style I've been working on. Not totally sure if it is new but as I explain on the video I can find nothing about it anywhere else, so for now, for all intents and purposes, it's new.   Wink

0:01 - 4:17 = background and thoughts on the new style

4:18- End = Demonstrating sling length and throwing style as well as some throwing.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:  Since I live in the land of lawsuits let me get this out of the way right now..

Any person performing or attempting to perform this style or any other slinging throw style assumes full responsibility for the consequences incurred before, during or after use. YOU and you alone are responsible for your own safety and well being. Do not use this throw, knock yourself in the head and then try and blame me for it. Slinging is a very dangerous activity, no matter what style you use. If you are not willing to take full responsibility for your own health and well being I strongly suggest you throw your sling in the garbage and take up something safer like Origami. If you are a minor you must ask your parents or guardians before using this style or slinging in general. 

Thank you and enjoy.

Also I've been trying to figure out a name for this style. Any thoughts on that would be much appreciated.

And of course, all comments and questions on the style will be appreciated as well.

IP Logged

Crow Hat
Descens

Slinging is an addiction.

Canada
Re: New Throwing Style
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 1:22am

I like it, enough said! never seen it before either.

"Simply because you can breathe doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live." - Tim McIlrath

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 2:25am

There is a Pacific island style where the sling goes behind the shoulder and the pouch is held low and behind the back with the left hand.  The throw is just like yours.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 3:43am

Hi Morphy,

I have looked this style.

Sorry, but I find him very bad.

I know this I me with this opinion once again very unpopular one makes.

For this style I need no Sling.

I do not understand up to now, where from the single styles come. Who gave them? I know a lot of pictures of Slingern. From it to make a style, nevertheless, I hold for very much risqué. One never sees the whole movement. Always only one cutting.

I hold her method not for good, because they a lot
Power from then muscles needs.
Her power gets the Sling, however, from the physical effect of the lever.

If a strength works, however, too fast on a lever, this cannot use the strength.

In the worst case the lever breaks. In this case it comes for injuries in her arm. Especially in the shoulder and in the elbow.

With the Slingen it does not depend on an explosive emission of energy. The Geheimniss lies in a steady acceleration.
One can control this also much better.
And she can take up much more energy and transmit.

I would like to give no instructions to them.
They are old enough to know what they do.

Nevertheless, they brought up for discussion it.

I can only hope, they understand my opinion not as Disrespectful. Thus it is meant by no means by me and intend.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 8:43am

Hi, Morphy.  I've never seen that style before.  I like it.  It's sort of a different way to do Apache.  I'll have to think about a name.  It reminds me of throwing a sack, but that doesn't lend itself to a good name.  It's so simple, I'm amazed that I didn't try it myself yet.  I'll give it a try today.  I used to use Apache a lot.  It was the only  style I used the first few months of my slinging career.  I'll let you know how I make out with your style.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 9:13am

I like ... reminded me of Bernini's David statue .... upper body torqued ready to throw. then up and over ...
http://rusdtech.net/Classes/2007APArtHistoryB/unit8/html/section_2_page_9.html

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

nemo
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 10:23am

This was the way I found I could do apache personally. It can actually give some pretty impressive power for such a small start, not quite as good as some of the others, but at close range (50m or less) it is just as good and has the advantage of suprise.

Nemo

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 10:30am

Hi guys, and thanks for the thoughts and comments. That is why I post these, to get those different viewpoints.

Glad to hear it Crowhat. Hopefully this will be a legit hunting style some day.

DM, I remember reading the Hawaiian article that mentioned that sling style. I was worried at first that I was remembering wrong and they didn't actually hold it back there. It's good to know I am not just reinventing the wheel here. This is kind of similar but I'm not sure I could ever try and hold a sling behind me. Just seems very difficult.

Jaegoor, I am not offended at all. I had a pretty good idea how you would respond. And I am really glad you posted it. Constructive criticism is not a bad thing at all. I agree that it takes more muscle to use this throw. And it is not as fast or powerful. But this throw sacrifices a bit on those areas to offer something that those other throws simply can't offer. Complete stealth and the ability to throw immediately with no wind-up. It is very specialized in that respect. It is like an off-road vehicle. It may not be the fanciest, and it may not be the fastest, but what it can do, no other throw can offer. Except perhaps the Apache, which I could never make work. It's very much a trade off, but a necessary one. After all, as I said in the video, it doesn't matter how hard or fast you throw if the animal is not there anymore when the stone hits.

I have to disagree that this throw could be done just as well by hand. The short sling and no wind-up do not add as much power as a throw with a wind-up but the one thing I know is I could never throw this hard without a sling. And my muscles are pretty sore so I am quite sure they are getting a work out. This one will only get stronger with time.

Glad to hear you like it RM, please be careful in the beginning. I was convinced one of these times I would smack myself in the back of the head. It hasn't happened yet of course, and to be honest the arcing trajectory of the pouch is not much different than the figure-8 and I've never hurt myself using that one either. But only time will tell. I strongly suggest using a short sling. The one I used had the folded pouch at about 4 inches below my elbow with the retention loop on my finger and the cords running parallel to my forearm. Tennis balls starting out might not be a bad idea either lol. It still kind of scares me at times to be honest. But like I said time will tell.

That's interesting you say that Steven. Masi I think mentioned something similar, though I think he may have referenced a different statue. Good stuff.

IP Logged

Crow Hat
Descens

Slinging is an addiction.

Canada
Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 11:33am

I like it because it's possible to use any length of sling without it hitting the ground on a wind up, but a sling that long for me is awkward. I'm saying theoretically you could use a sling that stands shoulder height folded with this style, not saying you would.

I don't have a name for it, but for now I'm calling the morphy technique. Cheesy

"Simply because you can breathe doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live." - Tim McIlrath

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 2:01pm

Absolutely fascinating. I'll have to give it a try next time I sling. This style really intrigues me, it also occurs to me that it has commonalities with other methods of throwing. A spear, or as jaegoor pointed out, just throwing a rock by hand. My inclination is to agree that there the sling makes the throw more powerful than it would be without the sling. My point being that it (potentially) could have a lot of carryover with other useful techniques.

My other thought is that there is a reason that baseball pitchers throw the way they do. It gives them a lot of power and allows them to aim it fairly precisely. This method is somewhat similar to pitching but it looks like it'd be easier on the shoulder. Bravo sir.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #10 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 2:04pm

V. interesting

Why is your sling full of knots ?

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #11 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 2:10pm

It's a bit like the last, business, bit of the fig-8

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #12 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 2:16pm

I think it`s to shorten the sling, making it suitable for this style.  I remember curious_aardvark a long time ago describing such a style as this as suitable for very short slings.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #13 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 2:37pm

Maybe morphy was shortening his sling with knots until it get to the ideal length for the style.
Santa pitch comes to my mind for it's name Cheesy

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #14 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 2:58pm

But this greatly increases the air resistance of the cords, hence reducing the speed and power of the shot. Why not make a shorter sling ?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)