Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New book on Slingstones in Oceania & Americas (Read 11075 times)
RDY
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

New book on Slingstones in Oceania & Americas
Aug 19th, 2011 at 6:50pm

This is to announce that ca. Oct. 15, 2011, a book that my wife and I have written, Slings and Slingstones, The Forgotten Weapons of Oceania and the Americas, will be published by Kent State U. Press. It can now be pre-ordered, see p. 16 of the KSU Press 2011 catalog at www.kentstateuniversitypress.com. Or, actually we've found that just Googling "Gigi Robert York Slings" generates many relevant links.  

In doing our research the Slinging.org site and Chris Harrison were of considerable help to us, which we acknowledge in our book.

Our book primarily is written with an archaeological/anthropological audience in mind (natch, that's our background) but we believe (immodestly) that it contains much of interest for all w/an interest. We think it addresses many of the ?s we have seen in the Forum -- especially, of course, concerning Oceania and the Americas -- and/or supplies plenty of grist for discussion and debate.    

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: New book on Slingstones in Oceania & Americas
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 7:01pm

Cool! There are a lot of people on the forum that like these kinds of things, myself included. I was under the impression that slings didn't play much of a role in Australia. Does your book give evidence for sling use by Aboriginal Australians, or do you focus sling on use in the pacific islands that circle the main continent?

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

RDY
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 9:09pm

RE: Sling in Australia? I will resist saying "wait and read the book and see what you think".  Don't you like surprises?  But the answer is, we very much looked into Australia and found no evidence it was ever used there -- at least not aboriginally.  This, of course, also goes for the bow & arrow. The woomera (atlatl in the New World) or spear thrower was the projectile weapon of Australia's native peoples thruout its long prehistory, reaching back to 1st settlement some 60,000 years ago.  Now this doesn't mean there wasn't lots of rather lethal hand throwing of rocks, particularly this behavior was witnessed by the early European explorers of Tasmania. All this raises lots of intriguing ?s for archaeologists and anthros., that as far as we know havn't been addressed much.           

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 9:11pm

That's good news.

I'm sure many of us look forward to reading it when it comes out.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 9:21pm

You're an author willing to answer questions! Cheesy Alright, you just earned yourself a reader.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2011 at 6:09pm

Thank you for taking the time and effort in writing a book about this fascinating subject.

-From an amateur slinger in Lima, Peru

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 7:48am

looked at the catalogue and it doesn't mention either a price or the number of pages in the book.
prosaic things i know, but given the usual cost of limited edition academic textbooks - it's always useful to have some idea of pages per buck when considering ordering one Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #7 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 9:05am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 21st, 2011 at 7:48am:
looked at the catalogue and it doesn't mention either a price or the number of pages in the book.
prosaic things i know, but given the usual cost of limited edition academic textbooks - it's always useful to have some idea of pages per buck when considering ordering one Smiley

From the publisher's web site:

2011, c. 224 pp
ISBN 978-1-60635-107-9
Cloth, $55.00s

Getting you 4.07 pages/$ - approximately Wink

IP Logged

ArchaeoMan
Tiro

ubi dubium ibi libertas

Manhattan, KS
Reply #8 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 12:05pm

Haha. You beat me to it! I'm hoping to get a master's thesis done this spring on sling experimentation and I've always had this little fantasy that I'd be one of the first to introduce the topic to North American archaeologists. Congratulations on the new book and I hope to read it soon!

I've run across a lot of stuff on trephining in the Pacific islands and Peru, were you able to incorporate that data in the book?

IP Logged

RDY
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Sep 28th, 2011 at 2:19am

Thanks. We hope you will find our work of interest and provocative. We're sure you will find plenty of questions to tackle, plenty of room to expand on our research, and we certainly hope you many others do.  Concerning trephining, yes we have incorporated trephining data. As you obviously recognized, we also discovered the practice of trephining is particularly relevant to understanding the use or non-use of the sling.

IP Logged

RDY
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 3:15pm

Short delay on publication. You all may have noticed that Oct. 15 has come and gone and our book still is not out. Our publisher, Kent State U. Press, info'd that it's essentially ready to print, except the cover design still needs to be completed. They did not give us a new target date for publication but it should not be too much longer.  Again, of course, it is available for pre-order thru various outlets (KSU Press, Amazon, etc.).

IP Logged

RDY
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 2:27pm

Update on Publication: KSU Press informed us all problems have been resolved, it was sent to the printer in November, and should be distributed no later than Jan 12 -- we're of course hopeful it will be released before.    

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #12 - Dec 4th, 2011 at 3:54pm

great job  Wink

hope my local libraries might carry it.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

The_Peltast
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 8:48pm

Any word on when this will actually be available? The 12th has come and gone.  Cry

Just really looking forward to reading it, even if it is expensive. Its not exactly everyday a book gets published about slinging. Smiley

IP Logged

RDY
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 2:00am

That's a good question, since, obviously, we're interested to know what's up w/our book too I checked with KSU Press, to quote their rep: "We're in the process of binding and distributing as we speak." I take that to mean it should be available shortly -- it better be -- maybe yet this week and hopefully no later then next week.  Concerning price, the lowest price I've seen is Amazon's. But check various sites, maybe someone has a better deal. I noted a previously posted comment to the effect that they hoped their library would obtain it. I would suggest to all you can help that happen by bringing it to the attention of your friendly librarians for acquisition -- forgive the shameless self-promotion.            

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)