Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Hello from David the Shepherd!! Sling Pics too! (Read 48065 times)
David the Shepherd
Descens

www.DavidTheShepherd
.com

Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Hello from David the Shepherd!! Sling Pics too!
Aug 9th, 2011 at 6:11pm

Hello!!  I am David the Shepherd at the Great Passion Play in Eureka Springs, Arkansas.

I have been slinging for 4 years now and have handmade over 1,500 shepherd slings to date!  I love making them, and I love using them even more.  As David the Shepherd, I give approximately 100 25-minute performances followed by sling demonstration per year at the Passion Play.

I would love to visit with you if you come to the Play, or you can check out my website www.DavidTheShepherd.com
David the Shepherd
A Sling & A Stone, LLC

11/11/2014 update - Here's the demonstration that I give before the Play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHUbNUUfJtI

I have made over 10,000 shepherd slings now and have slings in over 36 countries throughout the world.  It is one of my life passions.  Visit my blog at www.slinging.com

You can also see my YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxxdfH5kJHgbafu16nQLfaA
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2014 at 3:03pm by David the Shepherd »  

So David overcame Goliath with A Sling & A Stone, and struck him and killed him.  But David had no sword in his hand.&&1 Samuel 17:50
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: Hello from David the Shepherd
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 1:41pm

Wink Hey ... you look to be one of the few with a sling related commercial endeavor....
Is your production seasonal or year round?

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

David the Shepherd
Descens

www.DavidTheShepherd
.com

Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 3:13pm

I make and sell shepherd slings year-round.

The Great Passion Play has run five nights a week, May thru October, for 43 years now (of course, I haven't been there all 43 years Smiley I've been there for 7 years).  

I have made Shepherd Slings for people in almost every state and sold some to people in Europe and Australia.  (They're available on eBay--search for "shepherd slings"--and my website DavidTheShepherd.com.)

I make a few different types of slings; here are some examples.  

The Woven Pouch Shepherd Sling that I make:

So David overcame Goliath with A Sling & A Stone, and struck him and killed him.  But David had no sword in his hand.&&1 Samuel 17:50
IP Logged

David the Shepherd
Descens

www.DavidTheShepherd
.com

Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 3:31pm

Here's a Leather Pouch Shepherd Sling I make:

(Although it's not pictured, I now make these out of bison leather.)
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2012 at 3:12pm by David the Shepherd »  

IP Logged

David the Shepherd
Descens

www.DavidTheShepherd
.com

Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 3:34pm

Here's a Green and Brown Split Pouch Shepherd Sling I make (I also make it in just brown):

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Hello from David the Shepherd!! Sling Pics too
Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 7:15pm

Nice slings.  And welcome to the site.  Any tips on how to hit something will be appreciated.  Bill

IP Logged

David the Shepherd
Descens

www.DavidTheShepherd
.com

Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 7:28pm

Thanks so much!  

I'll share some tips on accuracy if I can tomorrow (I'll try to get some of my videos in the future).  Smiley  I throw around 50-60 stones a night (as well as clay balls and marshmallows).

Here's a sling I made today that's a 12-strand Braided Woven Pouch Sling.  Some people make this kind out of paracord, but I just love the natural look.
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2011 at 10:05pm by David the Shepherd »  

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 9:04pm

Welcome David. Nice to have you onboard. Those are some great looking slings you've made but I was wondering if the deep pouches effect the release of the stone at all. Have you had any stones hang up in the pouch because of the depth??

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

David the Shepherd
Descens

www.DavidTheShepherd
.com

Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 10:14pm

It's great to be on board!! I've thought about joining for about three years, but just never made the time to get on.

No, I haven't had any problems with the stones hanging up in the pouch.  Just to clarify, the only sling that has a deeper pouch is the first woven pouch I have listed, not the second.  All of the other slings don't have what I would call deep pouches, but I can understand your question.

I used to make the pouch not as deep, but there were some kids that were having challenges keeping the stone in the sling (kids were probably 1st grade or so).  So, I made the pouch a little deeper, but not too deep.  A lot of people also like to throw with marshmallows, which fit and release perfectly from the pouch.  

I've thrown with one particular woven pouch sling (like the one with the deeper pouch) for two years.  It's still in terrific condition!

IP Logged

David the Shepherd
Descens

www.DavidTheShepherd
.com

Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Reply #9 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 6:22pm

Here's a 5-strand woven pouch paracord sling I made today.  It's around 60 inches long and has a 4' long X 2.5'' wide pouch on it.  I'm looking forward to throwing with it tonight.  
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2011 at 12:45am by David the Shepherd »  

IP Logged

David the Shepherd
Descens

www.DavidTheShepherd
.com

Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Reply #10 - Aug 14th, 2011 at 4:40pm

Here's a paracord sling I made the other day.  The pouch is 3.5"X2.5" with a total sling length of 5 feet (30" when folded).  I used olive drab paracord.
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2012 at 4:38pm by David the Shepherd »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Aug 14th, 2011 at 6:58pm

Good stuff David. Welcome to the forums. I remember my parents talking about the Great Passion Play years ago. Glad to see it's still going on.

IP Logged

fattybones
Descens

That's not hail!

Halifax NS
Reply #12 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 9:18pm

You are the answer to this thread: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1266498481  Are there others who do what you do, so I can be a smart-aleck and win the thread by claiming there are professional slingers (plural) in Arkansas?

Chivalry!  It's not the law, it's just a good idea.

IP Logged

David the Shepherd
Descens

www.DavidTheShepherd
.com

Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Reply #13 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 1:04am

There are a few people at the Great Passion Play who I have taught how to use a shepherd sling.  However, they don't give a demonstration to the public.  Like many of us here on slinging.org, they just do it for fun. 

I think it's important to remember what makes a professional.  For example, we watch professional baseball players not because they get paid a lot of money; no, we watch professional baseball players because they are great at what they do.  We enjoy their skill and ability.  They're professionals because people enjoy watching them.

My slinging demonstration definitely fuels enthusiasm for slinging.  I demonstrate with my sling to anywhere between 150 to 300 people a night.  And, they love to watch me do it.  I love it when the little kids clap and laugh when I hit my targets, or when people say, "Wow!" when I let one really sail through the air.  So, I guess people would consider me a professional since the people come to watch my presentation, and they enjoy watching me do my demonstration (of course, they also come to watch the Passion Play). 

My demonstration usually lasts from 5-7 minutes.  I throw with each type of shepherd sling I make for both accuracy and distance.  And, of course, I can't forget to mention that I throw with rocks, dried clay, and (my favorite) MARSHMALLOWS!!!  Marshmallows are excellent projectiles and delightful treats.  It helps quell parents' anxieties and worries. 

I think it's very important for those of us in the slinging community to show people how cool and easy it is to start slinging.  I taught my 8-year old niece how to sling, and she got a solid throw on her very first rock!  (That may be another mark of a professional--someone who teaches others...so, there are probably many professional slingers here!)

Happy Slinging!!!
David the Shepherd

IP Logged

David the Shepherd
Descens

www.DavidTheShepherd
.com

Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Reply #14 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 1:08am

By the way, I don't know where everyone is from, but if anyone on the forum comes to the Great Passion Play in Eureka Springs and says they heard about me from slinging.org, I'll be happy to give you a free sling and a backstage tour.  I may be even be able to get some comp tickets if you PM me in advance (I'll try at least).  

Also, if you get a sling from my website www.DavidTheShepherd.com, be sure to say you heard about me from www.slinging.org, and I'll make it free shipping!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)