Send Topic Print
motorcycle? (Read 21213 times)
xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Re: motorcycle?
Reply #30 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 11:25pm

probably just going to get a cheap toyota when i'm 35-ish and if i somehow get rich then a decent motorycle. won't stop me from gettign a licence and taking a course though   Wink

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #31 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 12:15am

Anyone here ride a Spyder by any chance?

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #32 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 2:46pm

I agree with much of what pj says about the driver being in control of the amount of danger, at least to some degree.  One of my cars is an '88 Suzuki Samurai, that I bought new.  Right after I bought it Consumer Reports declared it unsafe.  Bull jive.  I drove army jeeps for three years then had a CJ-5 for six years.  I knew exactly what I was getting when I bought my Sammy.  It has a small wheel base and a high center of gravity.. that's great for off road.  Yes, if you try to do a 90 degree turn at 45 mph you'll flip. So don't do it. Duh!  I've driven my Sammy for 23 years and haven't come close to flipping it yet.  Yes, it's tiny, and yes, if I get t-boned I'm toast, just as on a motor cycle.  Driving anything is dangerous business these days.  Driving something tiny you have to be doubly on your toes.  But you can drive a "dangerous" vehicle and live to tell about it if you just keep your head out of your butt.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #33 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 6:14pm

Amen to that!
The first thing that my license instructor told us, was that ANY vehicle is a potential weapon, dangerous for both us and the surrounding people.
I once had the worst car accident of my life, when the driver got killed, and the car drifted 5 times before rolling 4 times on its roof. Until then, I've always wondered what would have happened to somebody coming from the other side of the road.
If he was on a motorcycle, we'd have knocked him out. If he was on a car, we'd probably injuried him seriously, because we were going VERY fast and the car took about 120 meters to stop.
Until that accident, I drive much more carefully.
To tell the truth, I drive my motorcycle carefully since I was 18, at least, even if sometime I enjoy riding it as fast as we can - but only in some contexts, for example at night, in places that I know to be deserted at that time. I simply enjoy too much the feeling of speed while I turn, lowering my knees almost to the asphalt! And after a second, the turn's done, and I can slow down.
But I never do that when there're other cars in sight.
Vehicles are weapons, and since I've experienced the death of a close friend, I don't want to get involved in it anymore!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #34 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 9:46pm

But there is really no such thing as a place/time where there are guaranteed to be no hazards.  There could be something as simple as a possum crossing the road at the wrong time, and you are finished.  Undecided

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #35 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 10:24pm

Yep.  You not only have to hone your driving skills and be on your toes at all times.  You also need a good deal of luck, and that's the truth.  Driving is dangerous business.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #36 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 6:20am

Sorry for resuming this topic, but I was just willing you to know that I broke an engine's valve for the second time  Angry
It seems that I run too fast, or that my motorcycle can't bear my driving  Angry Angry Angry

I finally made a picture of both two my motorcycles... here they are, with my dog and a friend of mine  Smiley
The broken motorcycle is the one on the left:

Kid, do you still look for a motorcycle??
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #37 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 9:12am

Well at least you're fortunate enough to have a spare, plus a good looking friend.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #38 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 9:51am

Of course, I am a really lucky boy, these things happens and are not the end of the world  Wink
Just wanted to see if kid's still decided in buying a motorcycle as he'll grow older!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #39 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 1:53pm

Mauro, you are getting a message from Santa Vitessa the patron saint of motorcycling. If you insist on over-revving you must get a Ducati Desmo. No more floating valves.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #40 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 2:15pm

You're absolutely right (Ducati 749, toghether with MV Agusta F4 and Honda CBR, are my favourite sport bikes!), but I also know my limits and I'm gonna die riding one of these monsters  Grin
Plus, anyone can go fast with them, but try to follow a Ferrari 348 with a 25 years old custom bike  Cheesy
Of course we were on a road that almost canceled Ferrari's strength points, it was all narrow turns and very short straights... now that I think of it... we're going to the period of the year when this road is really scarcely busy... as I'll get my bike back, I'll try to convince my friend to lend me her helmet camera and perhaps I'll show you this road!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #41 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 6:09pm

still want a motorcycle. probably not for actual driving- just joy rides on scenic routes or something. maybe when i get a decent job (some time off)

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Uncle Brian

Slinging Rocks!

New Zealand
Reply #42 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 8:35pm

Hi Dude,
At the risk of soundily like some boring old man here is my .02 cents worth.
Motorcycles are a lot of fun, they are fast and manoverable and a good ride can give you a high that will last for days
They are also dangerous and any small mistake can have serious consequenses, other drivers are you main worry but not the only one.
So ......
The head says Totota Corolla
The heart says motorcycle.
CoolBrian

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #43 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 6:31am

Your 2 cents are worth a billion  Smiley
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Uncle Brian

Slinging Rocks!

New Zealand
Reply #44 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 5:25pm

Thanks Mauro for your kind words  Cool
My last bike was a Laverda Mirage 1200 bit of a beast that one but It had its good points too. I would have liked a Ducati but the engines are too fragile and while they are pretty you need a spare. I always thought Guzzi was a reliable and solid bike but i never owned one.
Bikes are not just for sunny days xxkid123 in order to be a good motorcyclist you need to ride all the time and so the bike becomes an extension of your self not some machine you just happen to be sitting on.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark)