Send Topic Print
Bronze sling bullet (Read 17728 times)
jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Re: Bronze sling bullet
Reply #30 - May 8th, 2011 at 3:33pm

I thought about the 50-50 mixture because that way would be a little denser than lead,but harder than pure lead..
                        DENSITY    MELTING POINT   MOHS HARDNESS
COPPER            8.94g\cm3      1084 C                      3.0

LEAD                11.34g\cm3      327 C                      1.5

So the 50:50 alloy would be about 10g\cm3 it would melt at  1084+327\2=705(???)C and would probably have the hardness of 2.25 (?) And about the historical axes and other bronze stuff,i knew that tin,arsene was used most often,with 1-2% lead added to sword bronze for easier hammering,sharpening.The casting will be surely captured;the bellows are in a phase that one bellow is a sheep skin without fur and the other one still has fur Cheesy Made 2 ~250ml crucibles and a small ~50ml one,from clay with 1\3-1\4 sand in it,still have to be fired,on the left there's the blowing nozzle of the bellows system already fired and a lost wax small scythian style axe mould with 75% or more sand so it won't crack at shrinking on the wax positive inside it,and a dagger mould which might not survive as it's pure clay and thick...The bellows and wood pipes are the next thing to make.The progress is slow,but it's progressing a bit weekly.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #31 - May 8th, 2011 at 5:54pm

Hallo!
It's late here in Italy, so just a brief reply before I go to bed (a more accurate one tomorrow  Grin ): for the wood pipe, use a lake cane; it's a year since I've been using one for my bellows, and it works perfectly; you can see my forge in the topic I've just started in the other section!
Very nice stuff you've done, it reminds me of a lot of time spent working on similar things..... lovely!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #32 - May 13th, 2011 at 6:26pm

Jlasud, how is the bronze ax to be hafted? 

I have never actually looked up the boiling point of lead, most reloading and bullet casting books say that lead starts to sublinate at about 10 degrees above its melting temp, so you really have to watch for lead fumes.  Most bullet alloys are lead, antimony and tin, the antimony for hardness and the tin for castability.  It makes the liquid fill out the small angles and then shrinks so the bullet releases cleanly from the metal mold.  Bill

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #33 - May 13th, 2011 at 7:02pm

That axe is handled by putting the handle inside of the hole  Wink

Yeah, melting lead can be dangerous, so ALWAYS MELT IT OUTDOOR!
And don't stay too close to the liquid metal, not even to carefully watch wether you drip it rightly or not!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #34 - May 15th, 2011 at 1:47am

Yes,Bill the axe is a shaft hole version,it has clay rod in the mold,which will be broken after casting.I melt lead at home,with the hood turned on,the heat rises any fumes directly into the hood ,and i don't stay around it until it melts,then i cast.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #35 - May 16th, 2011 at 1:38pm

He had to tell me about the clay plug, it looked like it would be a solid chunk of metal with the side pour.  Why did they cast that way and not from the top, is there a particular reason?  Bill

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #36 - May 16th, 2011 at 1:51pm

Hallo Bill!
If I've understood your question correctly, they didn't cast from the top, because carving such an item on a block of stone was hard work.
If you think to moulds that have survived, they are all thought for items that had the same thickness. Such an axe has a regular thickness, but the cylinder increases it.
So it's easier to make a wax model, than to carve the cylinder in the stone, even because the heat would probably break the "inside" of the cylinder  Undecided
I hope that I explained myself!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #37 - May 16th, 2011 at 9:44pm

Thank you, it does answer my question.  Bill

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)