Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Bronze sling bullet
Reply #15 - Mar 28th, 2011 at 2:11pm

wow that's seriously pointy !
We're talking major damage here.

If we're going for pure conjecture (my favourite kind of history lol)
I'd say the bronze glandes would have only been used by the sharpshooters.
That's definitely the equivalent of a modern snipers round !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #16 - Mar 28th, 2011 at 2:47pm

I could also imagine it was used against armoured guys,as this would be much more suitable for the job than lead ones.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Mar 28th, 2011 at 8:57pm

I don't think a lead and copper alloy would work due to the very different melting points.  The lead would be turning into gas long before the copper melted.  Maybe another metal?  Antimony, maybe?  Bill

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #18 - Mar 28th, 2011 at 11:19pm

Hondero´s Historia de la Honda, does mentions that the Greek used Bronze for ammo. Maybe it wasn´t an extended practice but it happened at least once.

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #19 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 10:38am

Bill Skinner wrote on Mar 28th, 2011 at 8:57pm:
I don't think a lead and copper alloy would work due to the very different melting points.  The lead would be turning into gas long before the copper melted.  Maybe another metal?  Antimony, maybe?  Bill

Wiki says lead has a melting point of 327 C while copper 1084 C.Lead has a boiling point of 1749 C,so it should stay a liquid at the casting temperature.I'm planning some bronze casting and I'll probably test this lead-copper alloy too.Is there any metal denser than copper except tungsten,lead,gold and rare metals? Mixing 50-50 lead and copper would get some nice hard,and heavy projectiles,if I'm imagining correctly Wink

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #20 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 10:57am

The Greek alloy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdochalkos was made with copper and lead (molybdenum ore is often confused with lead ore and the name molybdenum come from the Greek word for lead).

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #21 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 1:37pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Mar 29th, 2011 at 10:57am:
The Greek alloy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdochalkos was made with copper and lead (molybdenum ore is often confused with lead ore and the name molybdenum come from the Greek word for lead).

Thanks,so it's possible to alloy copper and lead.If i'm casting some.i'll surely post some pics.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #22 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 4:43pm

I strongly believe that IS a sling bullet.....
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #23 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 2:21pm

Mauro Fiorentini wrote on Mar 30th, 2011 at 4:43pm:
I strongly believe that IS a sling bullet.....
Greetings,
Mauro.

Agreed,those archaeologist probably did never use a sling,or not familiar with the shape of sling bullets...Is there any info of it's weight?

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #24 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 2:50pm

Made some measurements,simple calculations :48mm lenght,maximised the picture measured the width,length ratio,which is 2.8 and the diameter is 17.14mm.Calculated with two cone volumes,which resulted in 3.345 cm2 and taking in count an average tin bronze density says about 30g.Of course this an aproximative calculation,as the only thing sure is that it's 48mm long,but it shows that it's about the same weight as the majority of lead ones,which are really light,at least for my preferences.Surely i'm gonna test three 30g ish lead ones simultaneously as Jaegoor and others consider the lightweight projectiles being used shotgun style.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #25 - May 6th, 2011 at 5:43pm

Jlasud, I just read about your willings to melt bronze;
if you're in need of help, ask away, I've been melting bronze for years using Recent Bronze Age technology  Wink
For example, your mixture of 50% copper with 50% lead is incorrect; I'd suggest a maximum of 30% lead, which is yet one of the highest percentage.
The bullet depicted in the photo, for example, must have less than 20% lead, judging by its patina and its preservation status.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #26 - May 6th, 2011 at 6:24pm

Here are some different compostions for babbit metal alloy (I can't find the proportions of molybdochalcos):
76% Copper, 24% lead
89% tin, 7% antimony, 4% copper
80% lead, 15% antimony, 5% tin
75% lead, 10% tin, 15% other
67% copper, 28% tin, 5% lead
Holloware pewter is 96% copper, 4% lead
Euctic solder is 63% tin, 37% lead

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #27 - May 8th, 2011 at 6:18am

Mauro Fiorentini wrote on May 6th, 2011 at 5:43pm:
For example, your mixture of 50% copper with 50% lead is incorrect; I'd suggest a maximum of 30% lead, which is yet one of the highest percentage.
The bullet depicted in the photo, for example, must have less than 20% lead, judging by its patina and its preservation status.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Thanks Mauro! currently i'm working on the bag bellows,but as i get to the business,and have questions,you'll be among the first to ask from. What would happen if i'd mix 50-50 lead and copper? would it mix properly,or what could go wrong?

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #28 - May 8th, 2011 at 6:26am

Masiakasaurus wrote on May 6th, 2011 at 6:24pm:
Here are some different compostions for babbit metal alloy (I can't find the proportions of molybdochalcos):
76% Copper, 24% lead
89% tin, 7% antimony, 4% copper
80% lead, 15% antimony, 5% tin
75% lead, 10% tin, 15% other
67% copper, 28% tin, 5% lead
Holloware pewter is 96% copper, 4% lead
Euctic solder is 63% tin, 37% lead

Lead,tin,antimony and copper are nice heavy metals,the only problem i have with casting lead with tin is that tin shrinks a LOT as it cools and the casting won't be complete.Antimony is not available to me so copper,lead and a tiny bit of tin would be suitable .The projectile on the picture looks really grey,so i suppose it has high quantities of lead or tin in it and less copper than usual bronze.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #29 - May 8th, 2011 at 10:34am

jlasud wrote on May 8th, 2011 at 6:18am:
Thanks Mauro!

You're welcome! It's always a pleasure to help!

jlasud wrote on May 8th, 2011 at 6:18am:
What would happen if i'd mix 50-50 lead and copper? would it mix properly,or what could go wrong?

Actually, that is not a dangerous mixture: it will work and everything.
I assume that you're putting 50% lead because you want the copper to melt quickly. If I'm right, know that even a very small amount of lead will reach this objective. As I can remember from findings, and as I've experimented, the minimum amount of lead is about 6%. This will make a very hard bronze tool, such as a chisel, for example.
Higher amount of lead means that the item will be more fragile, but even easier to work - for example, bronze axes generally had about 10-12% lead in them, because they had to be hammered on the edge: with less than 10% lead, hammering would be very dangerous, because it would eventually break the edge. On the other side, muscolar armors, or some types of helmets, had a higher percentage of lead, 15% or more, because they had an elaborate design and it was hard to achieve it, using less lead. In fact, these kind of protections were particularly weak against pierces, and were mainly used for triumphs and decorations.

Back to your mixture, I consider it incorrect just because it would be a waste of lead: such a high amount of it would be useless, you'd better cast a whole-lead bullet, then.
I don't know the difference between a bronze and a lead sling bullet, but I think that a bronze one would be harder, and, for example, would not deformate when it hit a shield - it would surely pierce an iron helmet. It should even weight less than a lead one, and may go farther. But these are suppositions; I suggest you to use the chisel percentage, 6%, at the beginning, and then augment it.

You're involving yourself in a very exciting research project; I envy you!
Can you share some pictures of your bellows??
Thank you, and good work!
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner)