Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Skull injuries and sling use (Read 4826 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Skull injuries and sling use
Mar 4th, 2011 at 1:13pm

http://www.google.com/search?q=califmed00148-0044.pdf

"Observations by Bunkerah on its use in New Caledonia revealed that natives could knock down three out of five fruit bats at 60 yards, using a river-bed stone with a sling. The Hawaiian slingstone was biconical, was 2.65 inches long and weighed 4.73 ounces, a little less than abaseball. The natives shaped it by rolling it between flat stones with motion to right and left as well as back and forth. Using a sling made from pandanus leaf, a skillful warrior hurled a stone so that it revolved on its axis like a rifle bullet."

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Re: Skull injuries and sling use
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 6:19pm

David Morningstar wrote on Mar 4th, 2011 at 1:13pm:
http://www.google.com/search?q=califmed00148-0044.pdf

"Observations by Bunkerah on its use in New Caledonia revealed that natives could knock down three out of five fruit bats at 60 yards, using a river-bed stone with a sling. The Hawaiian slingstone was biconical, was 2.65 inches long and weighed 4.73 ounces, a little less than abaseball. The natives shaped it by rolling it between flat stones with motion to right and left as well as back and forth. Using a sling made from pandanus leaf, a skillful warrior hurled a stone so that it revolved on its axis like a rifle bullet."

I'm impressed. That is really nice accuracy right there.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 4:10pm

Agreed, that is some amazing accuracy. If I could do that at 20 yards I would be extremely impressed with myself.  I'm amazed that they can achieve that kind of accuracy so far away. Stones really tend to drop fast that far out...accounting for that would be difficult.  I wonder if the bats were moving or stationary...it does say that they were knocked down...I would assume they were moving.

John R.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 11:18pm

Our local fruit bats are nocturnal so, assuming the New Caledonian species are similar, they sleep during the day hanging upside down from high branches with their wings wrapped around them, a stationary target somewhat smaller than a football.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2011 at 5:40pm

Ah, yes, I suppose you would be correct Aussie. I forgot about the noctural-ness of bats, they would most likely just be hanging.  I'm still very envious of their skill.

John R.

IP Logged

Thunder Chief
Funditor

Don't Panic!

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2011 at 6:32pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 25th, 2011 at 11:18pm:
Our local fruit bats are nocturnal so, assuming the New Caledonian species are similar, they sleep during the day hanging upside down from high branches with their wings wrapped around them, a stationary target somewhat smaller than a football.

Becasue hitting a small football from the better part of a footballfield away is easy Roll Eyes

We Few, We Happy Few, We Band of Slingers!

Longbowmen draw to the ear!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)