Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Video - Ancient Sling Bullets in Antikythera (Read 16749 times)
Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Video - Ancient Sling Bullets in Antikythera
Reply #30 - Jul 4th, 2011 at 11:14am

I had two small cups in the kiln this morning, they were glowing when I turned the kiln off.  I walked the dogs for about a mile, (2km-), about 15, 20 minutes.  I came back and put the cups in a metal pot with some green leaves to blacken them and put a top on to keep the oxegyn levels low.  The leaves smoked heavily and would have burst into flame if the top wasn't on the pot.  I have no idea how you would sling something that hot but a clay gland will hold heat nicely.  Bill

IP Logged

Sadrice
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #31 - Jul 4th, 2011 at 3:18pm

Could you perhaps make a sling pouch from metal rings, like maille or some such?

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #32 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 11:26am

A friend of mine used to knit wire, she knitted beads into it and made necklaces, perhaps that would work?  I would try it myself but I can't knit.

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #33 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 1:56pm

Sadrice wrote on Jul 4th, 2011 at 3:18pm:
Could you perhaps make a sling pouch from metal rings, like maille or some such?

yes, I believe douglas the black made one a few years ago - he was a little obsessed with slinging fireballs  Wink

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

PingHansen

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Låsby, Danmark.
Reply #34 - Dec 3rd, 2011 at 8:20am

(slowly reading through a lot of old subjects)

A few suggestions/comments for various posts in this thread:
  • Keep sling from burning, when slinging heated projectiles: Dip sling with leather pouch or (wool)cloth lining in water, drop in projectile (not in the water Wink), sling. If done fast, cooling is negligible.
  • Slinging heated stone wrapped in tarred cloth: Make a small bag with a string closure. Drop in the heated shot into the bag, draw strings closed, sling. For delayed ignition, line the bag with damp cloth, moss or other fiber. Takes two or three persons to operate. Quite feasible.
  • Piercing bronze armor: Bronze is brittle. Some bronze alloys (without lead or silicium) are more brittle than others. Less brittle than cast iron, but still. A look at Wikipedia also mentioned a form of corrosion called "bronze disease", caused by copper chlorides. That would weaken the armor further. Also, when you work out the dents in the armor with a hammer, it the bronze becomes more brittle. May be possible.
  • Metallic slings: Form the pouch from chain mail.
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2011 at 3:37pm by PingHansen »  

Ping.&&Certified Insane

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #35 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 11:35pm

i'm not too sure on how well a sling burns, but my thickly braided rockman's can take a decent amount of fire with a little amount of actual damage. while playing around etc burning off hairs from my sling i learned to hang my slinging on a hook, or for some extra fun on your finger with the loop at the top. light the bottom of the sling (should be where a whip cracker is) and the whole thing catches on fire and dies out after a second if it's a really hairy sling. the fire lights at the bottom, and quickly rises up. if it's really hairy and you really get it lighted it looks like the whole sling is burning, if it isn't a sisal yeti monster then the flame will quickly rise up. no damage at all too the cords.

after seeing that i decided to do even stupider stuff. when you burn it this way, the pouch slightly catches around the edges (rockman, thick straps), but not the actual pouch itself. so of course i needed to do something potentially dangerous to remove the hairs on the pouch. well i couldn't figure anything out  Wink so i just did it normally, light the area, wait for it to burn. unfortunately, the pouch was pretty hairy and there wasn't enough air to set it on fire correctly. so i had to hold the lighter there for a few seconds before it burned right. no damage at all

long story (with many grammar mistakes) short, after a few seconds of intentional burning and no protective equipment the sling took no damage at all, minus a few hairs. so i doubt any serious methods would be needed to sling flaming ammo or hot ammo once or twice. if the sling isn't allowed to cool off after each toss then i guess some adjustments would be needed.

i don't think submerging the sling in water is a good idea. if the slings were wool then the sling might shrink or felt after some long use. if the cord has glue/resin in it then it will become hard and stiff in water (at least thats what i think makes a sling using modern materials stiff when dunked in water). i don't think a metal sling is viable either, it's much too heavy, expensive and possibly dangerous. i wouldn't want to be hit by the release cord of the sling.

a jax/thomas captive release caulk tube design using ancient materials sounds like a viable method.

if i had to do this i would like someone to load for me so that i can immediantly sling it when i drop the ammo.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris)