Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: Short Splicing Tutorial (Read 9708 times)
Sons of benjamin
Descens

Re: Short Splicing Tutorial
Feb 24th, 2011 at 3:32pm

these next post will show how I splice my lines.  This will work for any corded material (nylon, etc).  It doesn't look as pretty as the previous style, but as i said it works with all materials.  If you are a talented enough braider, you can braid the knot into the sling without it appearing.  I have even spliced my pouch lines like this.

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 3:39pm

start off with the lines you want to splice

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 3:40pm

cross the lines. They should be at an angle approaching parallel.

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 3:41pm

Form a knot from one line over the other.  This should be a simple knot: make a loop around the opposite line and feed the end through the loop (around itself)

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 3:42pm

Do the same thing with the opposite line.

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 3:42pm

your splice should look like this at this step.

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 3:45pm

pull on the two lines.  This will pull the knot together.  The harder you pull, the tighter the knot becomes.  This splice is practically unbreakable.  Now, just cut off the extra, and you're good to go (don't cut off so much that the knot may unwravel, but cut off enough so that it is aesthetically pleasing).  You can use this same method to splice fishing line together.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 3:53pm

Don't freak out, but I split your tutorial from the original. The reason that I did so is that your tutorial i s really good, but it isn't a splice. It's what's called a "bend." Bends are used to tie two pieces of rope together at any point on the rope, and splices weave the end of one rope into any point on another. I use this kind of bend, the fisherman's knot, to tie things to the roof of my car using short pieces of elastic as an improvised elastic net. I never thought of using it in slinging too. Do you have any pics of a sling using the fisherman's knot?

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 4:00pm

That's okay.  I don't mind. 

Also, I didn't know that this was called a bend.  I always thought of it as a splice, but I guess it's not.  Here is a picture of a bend incorporated into a sling.  It can get kind of ugly if you try to braid multiple bend knots on top of one another (I learned this the hard way), so if you are trying to bend multiple lines ( say, all of the lines in your braid), you need to stagger the knots in such a way that you are only incorporating one (at most two) knot into the braid at a time.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 4:06pm

I've found the same is true when trying to taper a sling. Don't add to many cords at the same time and don't drop to many at the same time. I'm not sure I can hide a bend as well as you can, but that pic is definitely proof that bending works in slinging. Smiley I recommended to Aussie that he add Yeti's splicing tutorial to the FAQs from braiding with natural materials, and yours too for braiding with synthetics.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 4:08pm

technically speaking that isn't a splice, its a knot (bend)....

here is a sling I made solely from different splices (no knots):

the tennis ball is just so you can get a sense of the size.

_K_

_Orta recens quam pura nites_

some people are like Slinkies
     not really good for anything
        but they still bring a smile to your face
           when you push them down a flight of stairs

www.youtube.com/user/NoturnoNativa

IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 4:10pm

bugger my post was late... Grin

_Orta recens quam pura nites_

some people are like Slinkies
     not really good for anything
        but they still bring a smile to your face
           when you push them down a flight of stairs

www.youtube.com/user/NoturnoNativa

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark)