Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Super-heavy projectiles for the sling (Read 21457 times)
Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Re: Super-heavy projectiles for the sling
Reply #15 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 2:47pm

If anyone feels like filming himself slinging a great big honking stone, be my guest.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #16 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 4:43am

Rockman wrote on Feb 17th, 2011 at 2:04pm:
When I slung lead projectiles at a stone wall,  the bullet deforms on impact, when I picked it up for closer inspection, it was warm to the touch, which might have contributed to the legend of lead heating and melting in flight.

You can easily replicate the experiment without a sling. Take a fishing sinker, bang it with a hammer a couple of times and feel it, it will be warmer than before.

I was going to write about the same experience I had with warm lead projectile after hitting concrete.Another point would be that balearic slingers were fighting against armoured guys so a 50g (2oz) stone\lead won't do much if it hits armour\helmet\shield.But if they sling stones between 300-450g,a helmet won't save the guys head.I rarely sling such heavy stones,but I observed that when the rock hits the ground it sounds like someone would hit the ground with a 3kg sledgehammer.I'm sure that that kinda force puts BIG dents on helmets and armor.Even hitting a raised shield would make the shield smack against the guys head.Now the story doesn't mean that every slingers every stone weigh a mina.Back in the days nothing was standardized.I think they probably used stones in a range like 250-450g.Of course the heaviest stones were recorded.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #17 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 2:36pm

Approximately the sized of a closed fist.

Based on my research this weight class seems to be the norm for spanish slings

Marc Adkins
Thearos wrote on Feb 15th, 2011 at 10:43pm:
V. useful point re. weight, drag, and range.

has anyone here tried slinging a stone weighing a pound ? How large would such a stone be ?

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 1:02pm

I have thrown some big rocks, I don't know if they made the full pound or not.  To start with, the sling is made of braided nylon and is around 1 meter long.  The retention cord is extra long, it has a finger loop to keep it in place but it also wraps around my hand so the edge of my hand and not one finger takes the strain.  I use a Greek side arm throw, I do not rotate.  I can get them to go about 80-120 yards, the arc of the release is very important.  I can get them to go in front of me, I am not very accurate, but then, I am not real accurate with anything.   Bill

IP Logged

nemo
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 1:38pm

When I first started slinging, I had no idea of the size of stones most people tended to throw. I generally looked for medium sized rocks (later weighed one and it came out at 200g exactly) but Im sure Ive thrown heavier aswell as I looked to see what weight I could throw a reasonable distance.
My primary throw was underarm at that time, and with that throw I think it is definatly possible to throw heavy rocks, but just would require more strength, so 500g would require alot of strength to keep going well. I doubt I ever threw that heavy myself (had only been slinging for a few months) but I reckon I easily threw a good few 350-400g stones, for about 35-40m (my max throw at that time with any stone was about 60m, so I would assume the heavy weight distance would have improved by now).
I know though by the sheer force applied to your shoulder when throwing one of them (and the sound of impact) that if that hit a person, armour or shield, it isnt surviving. It could easily crush a skull, smash a hole in a shield, heavily dent armour enough to cause serious damage to the wearer. The damage it did to the other rocks it hit was huge aswell.
As said, I dont think this would have been anything standard for any slingers, even though the Balearic slingers where known for throwing heavy ammo, this does sound like an upper limit for the biggest men among them. I could see it though that if you had time to establish a posistion before the battle, you could find a hill and make a pile of heavy rocks as such. I couldnt see people carrying them around however, but they really would be like mini trebuchets or handheld ballistas throwing things like that.

I had also heard about the lead that it can cause wave patterns in it if it hits a hard surface. This can give a molten effect which is likely what convinced the people of the time.

Nemo

IP Logged

fattybones
Descens

That's not hail!

Halifax NS
Reply #20 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 1:38am

A pound is not that heavy.  If you aren't used to it, you'll miss and/or hurt your arm, but I've shattered rocks that are a pound.  Think a pound of hamburger: Two, maybe three burgers for a fat guy = not that much.  A pound of chicken wings is only like seven wings. You just need a big pouch, and a simple cast that you can keep control of.

Background and caveats:  I'm pretty big, but not bodybuilder-size. I cast with only one rotation.  Most of the stones on my favorite beach are at least a little too big, so my slings have big pouches, like as big as my hand.  I'm not putting these into orbit, they go only so far.  Little stones are more accurate.

All in all, if it fits in your pouch and you can throw it without a sling, you can sling it.  If it doesn't fit, make a bigger pouch.

Chivalry!  It's not the law, it's just a good idea.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #21 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 1:04pm

fattybones wrote on Apr 16th, 2011 at 1:38am:
A pound is not that heavy.  If you aren't used to it, you'll miss and/or hurt your arm, but I've shattered rocks that are a pound.  Think a pound of hamburger: Two, maybe three burgers for a fat guy = not that much.  A pound of chicken wings is only like seven wings. You just need a big pouch, and a simple cast that you can keep control of.

Background and caveats:  I'm pretty big, but not bodybuilder-size. I cast with only one rotation.  Most of the stones on my favorite beach are at least a little too big, so my slings have big pouches, like as big as my hand.  I'm not putting these into orbit, they go only so far.  Little stones are more accurate.

All in all, if it fits in your pouch and you can throw it without a sling, you can sling it.  If it doesn't fit, make a bigger pouch.

lol I like your attitude !

I've heaved some pretty big rocks from the sling. Never actually thought to make a specially big pouch for the purpose though. Hmm, maybe that's why I bought that heavy duty 8mm paracord I found in the slingbits box the other day. I feel a mega sling coming on !
Guess I could do a 2 finger sliding loop too. Got me thinking now...

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #22 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 9:04am

c_a, for that size sling you need a wrist loop Smiley

I find that even my usual split pouch can take most size of ammo, though stones between walnut and grapefruit size fits best(I`m not even kidding).
timann

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #23 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 6:48pm

wow. I sling stones slightly bigger than my thumb, the egg sized stone is my upper limit.
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2011 at 7:55pm by Thearos »  

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #24 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 12:40pm

Each slinger will have a comfort zone when it comes to ammo size and the biggest stones I can and have used is well outside mine Smiley.
timann

IP Logged

paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
Reply #25 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 11:56pm

near my slinging site, i keep a 2-3 pound steel bearing, and to warm up, i spin it around for a bit. it isabout the size of a baseball

Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #26 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 2:12pm

timann wrote on Apr 22nd, 2011 at 9:04am:
c_a, for that size sling you need a wrist loop Smiley

I find that even my usual split pouch can take most size of ammo, though stones between walnut and grapefruit size fits best(I`m not even kidding).
timann

I agree! Split pouch slings are incredibly versatile. I've thrown some really small and really large ammo with them, some grapefruit sized, some hazelnut sized...

John R.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #27 - Apr 29th, 2011 at 9:54am

I've looked at wrist loops - the goliath of modern day slinging (he's really a moderately hairless sasquatch) lobohunter uses one.

I have very strong fingers - I've slung 2-3 lb rocks with a single finger attachment with no probelm.
But I think for big rocks (5lb plus) I'll move up to 2 fingers, which shouldn't effect how I hold and use a sling, but hell I can lift 100kg with a 2 finger grip. So that should do the job Smiley  

Bilbo and I had  a fun walk yesterday - I like that byzantine throw, very smooth and certainly suitable for a heavy rock hurl (think that's what you lot call it, starts behind, one overhead rotation and throw - all as a single fluid forward motion. It's one of the new fangled names anyway lol)

I don't like split pouches, so mine will be my usual design the six hole trebuchet pouch. My standard pouches fit 3 on a sheet of a4 with room to spare. I'm thinking 1 pouch template lengthwise down the a4 with elongated attachment tabs. Using the thick red leather.
Basically a smallish treb pouch. And I think I'll keep the length around 30 inches initially and see how that goes.

Actually the problem is going to be finding some big enough rocks to throw.
Might have to take a walk along the railway line.  

Thearos in hurling big rocks most of the joint stress is placed on your elbows - it's why most of the olympic throwers use straight arm elbow friendly techniques (shot aside).
I use a tricep press in the gym to condition my elbows. Use it on 50 kg (lightest weight I use) with sets of 20 reps done as fast as I can while still being controlled.
Definitely makes a difference.  Particularly since I've moved into that age range where joint and muscular injuries take for ever to heal, the trick is to avoid getting injured in the first place Smiley  
Have to sort of a set of fishing scales out as well so I can weigh the rocks first Smiley
Fortunately I'm exactly the right build for a human trebuchet, short wide and thick strong bones.

Bugger it I'm going to make it now Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #28 - Apr 29th, 2011 at 7:22pm

For those of you who have not met C_A, his arms are the size of your legs. He is a Tolkien dwarf built to human height. He can walk through brick walls without needing such effete contrivances as a door. He could win a shoving match with a bulldozer. Dont try to replicate what he does without great care. In fact, just use a trebuchet.

IP Logged

Wayfarer
Descens

"Utrum per hebdomadem
perveniam"

Tampa, Florida
Reply #29 - Apr 29th, 2011 at 8:45pm

I would say it's plausible to say they threw stones that weighed 1lb + in weight, merely because I've thrown heavier ammo before. I'm not going to say my throw went very far at all, because it didn't. But i did manage to get it whirling around my head and out of the sling.

Pictured is the ammo i am referring to, a 2lb steel slug i found in my garage.

rsz_img_03312.jpg (328 KB | )
rsz_img_03312.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini)