Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Native American Slings (Read 11091 times)
PaleoLogic
Tiro

Hey y'all watch this

Kissimmee,Fl
Native American Slings
Dec 14th, 2010 at 8:20pm

Hey does anyone know where I can find any info on Native American Slings, specifically if they were used by the Creek Indian tribes.

"Genius is more often found in a cracked pot than in a whole one." - E B White

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Native American Slings
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 7:59am

Creek I dont have anything specific on. Almost all North American slings were a diamond shapedd buckskin pouch and seperate buckskin thongs sewn or tied on. Plant fibre cordage could also be used.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 9:01am

I would suggest making one yourself similar to what D.M. said. "Indian" carfts have a tendency (not always) to be made in china and not very useful for anything other than hanging on the wall. As opposed to making your own where you can make it very durable and long lasting.  

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 5:25pm

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #4 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 4:11pm

http://perso.wanadoo.es/hondero/museo.htm

Look here too. Click on "Indios Norteamérica"

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #5 - Dec 25th, 2010 at 9:35pm

The Cherokees were known to use slings. As the Creeks were living fairly close to Cherokee territory it would seem to make sense that they would overlap in their technology.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Dec 28th, 2010 at 8:38pm

When De Soto and De Luna were in the Flordia, Georgia, Alabama area in the 16th century, both chronicles mentioned that the NA were using slings.  A few other accounts briefly mention slings, they are early 17th century, probably the Carolinas or north Georgia.  They were used mostly by children or by youths and adults for hunting waterfowl.  I asked a Creek friend if there is a word for sling in Creek, he had to go see the elders.  There is, it translates as "throwing string".  He said it was pretty much a specialized weapon, for duck hunting, and pretty much died out when the Creeks started getting firearms.  Bill

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 10:19am

The conquistadores in the Americas came from a country where slinging was traditional (Spain). Do they ever, in their writings, comment on the slinging they see in the New World ? ("Man those Aztecs can sling" or "They use woven pouches and not split pouches like our shepherds, and they have an interesting slinging style...")-- I suppose slinging might have been under the dignity of the hidalgos and men at arms who went out there...

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #8 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 9:22pm

Thearos wrote on Jan 2nd, 2011 at 10:19am:
The conquistadores in the Americas came from a country where slinging was traditional (Spain). Do they ever, in their writings, comment on the slinging they see in the New World ? ("Man those Aztecs can sling" or "They use woven pouches and not split pouches like our shepherds, and they have an interesting slinging style...")-- I suppose slinging might have been under the dignity of the hidalgos and men at arms who went out there...

There are some chronicles in which the Spaniards commented on the slings. If an arquebus or a crossbow, are easier to learn than slinging, then those are the weapons they would bring. I´m sure some of the forgotten soldiers from the conquest were slingers in their youth or for guarding livestock before going to the americas.

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #9 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 2:21am

Sorry for resurrecting another old thread. Most of the Five Civilized Tribes have their own museums here in Oklahoma. Try contacting these folks and see what they say.

http://creekculturalcenter.com/

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, David Morningstar)